Big Eden - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Big Eden Reviews

January 17, 2016
Big Eden is a beautiful movie. The music and the scenery complement the story with incredible precision. The imagery of the mountain and lake settings are breathtaking. The plot is a bit difficult to follow at times, but that adds to the mystique of the movie.
½ November 29, 2015
Seriously bad. I don't know what the prerequisites to be in this movie were, but "can't act" might have been one of them perhaps? Strange, weird and sloooowwww ... the acting is so bizarrely unnatural and stiff. And the chemistry between the MCs is so ambiguous and confusing I never quite knew what was going on and things just seemed to happen out of the blue without warning. The humorous interludes fell so flat it was kinda embarrassing actually. The angst interjected into this story was artificial and cringworthy. The folksy portrayal of people and places was somewhat strained, cliched and almost annoying. Oh god ... stay away from this one ...
½ December 15, 2014
Only a few of the scenes made me enjoy this story,which had a really flat and cliche plotThe main disappointment was for me the central strolyine and it felt for me wrong in so many levels.
June 26, 2014
I love this movie! A little gem I came across, that I enjoyed so much, that I bought the DVD. It's a typical love story in which one person is in love with another, but that person loves someone else. At least until he realizes that love is another direction.
What's unusual about this film is that all the principles are male and yet the fact that they are gay comes as an afterthought, and not a political statement.
It's not that I dislike "gay" films with a political bent, but it was refreshing to see a simple love story.
Arye Gross and Eric Schweig are wonderful. Schweig as the quiet, soft spoken "Pike" who has been secretly holding a torch for Gross's character since high school. And Gross as the still somewhat closeted artist grandson, who has returned home to Montana to care for his ailing grandfather.
There is no gratuitous sex for those terrified of seeing two males together in a lustful embrace. But there is a lot of gentle humor, unspoken love, empathy and an incredible lack of prejudice amongst the townsfolk. Probably the only sign of wishful thinking by the writers.
Otherwise it's just pure fun and enjoyable, no matter how many times I watch it.
½ June 8, 2013
Beautifully acted and directed LGBT movie with an uplifting script. Highly recommended.
May 28, 2013
Big Eden is charming and good-hearted, but it is also incredibly unrealistic and cliched.
½ February 1, 2013
Very interesting..& set in one of my favorite places, Montana.
December 26, 2012
It's really nothing special.
July 29, 2012
Charming in it's own way, basically a fantasy because of the idealistic and naive nature of the film (in a way that would severely piss off a lot of people). There are some glaring plotholes, but it would probably be churlish to pick them apart in a film as sweet-natured as Big Eden.
February 9, 2012
i really liked this story of a man trying 2 find his place & his tribe
½ December 31, 2011
perfectly formed characters and relationships(though often fundamentally unbelievable)
November 28, 2011
A thoroughly cute and warm and loving film of love. It showed the slow and relaxed small town life so truly and exactly that it made me want to go and live there right away.
October 14, 2011
Aunque la trama central es dulce y conmovedora, el entorno no deja de ser muy irreal, un pueblo pequeño de Montana donde toda la gente es gay-friendly y que apoyan a dos hombres para que su romance prospere me parece casi una historia de fantasía, con muy buenas intenciones, pero desafortunadamente muy falsa. Cabe mencionar las actuaciones muy buenas.
½ September 26, 2011
Sweet, romantic comedy that really has you rooting for Henry and Pike to get together. Beautiful scenery and sets (I'd love to live in a house like the grandfather's!) are a plus. The fact that all of the townsfolk are rallying around these two men give the movie a warm, fuzzy, almost fantasy-like quality. I just don't believe EVERYONE in such a remote area would be so tolerant. One gripe: Why, in movies, when they want to portray people as being "country" and "hick" do they give the characters Southern accents, no matter what part of the country they're from? I'm pretty sure people who were born and raised in Northern Montana don't talk that way. lol
September 19, 2011
Bonita historia en un mundo ideal pero poco realista especialmente en los pueblos pequeños. Tiene un tono serie B con buenas actuaciones y buenas intenciones.
May 17, 2011
Flawed, disparagingly, but at times it showcased the sweetness of the narrative, few moments, especially at the early part, could be edited much more to give it solidity. It have this nice independent film feel, the pace is reasonable yet the lead actors didn't have enough chemistry, some of the side story lines was ended so abruptly that it spoiled the sense, though, the accents of struggle and emotional backdrop was nice to pull this whole movie to a good balance. Surely would let anyone, with the scope of its audience, adore this romance that is stripped from the sexual friction based on societal perception, the beauty of this movie came from the simplicity of how it is told.
February 26, 2011
It's my feel good movie and one of the only movies I can watch time and time again, it the only reason I haven't got rid of my DVD player as my copy of this DVD is region 1.
½ December 25, 2010
I loved this movie. Scenery is amazing. The story was fresh and multi-faceted. Tim Dekay is a favorite of mine, and now Arye Gross is too! I was entranced by Eric Schweig and loved his character. The gay theme is very subtle, intregral, and tastefully done.
November 27, 2010
What a beautifully charming movie. Louise Fletcher is a delight and Eric S is wonderful. I wish there were a community that was actually like this. One of my favorite films.
November 14, 2010
I just finished watching Big Eden. It took me quite a while to get my partner to watch it, because he read the summary and thought it would be pretty boring, but we were both in tears during some of it. But, it did not end as I had hoped it would, which certainly made it less predictable.

There seemed to be a lot of stories going on here. The sick grandfather, the gay son and his former so-called straight childhood boyfriend, not to mention the quiet indian fellow with a passion for cooking, and a secret crush on one of the main actors. I even found the annoying old lady, who couldn't cook somewhat entertaining.

There were plenty of people who had good roles in this film, and the acting was really good. But, I never got why the indian fellow was so secretive. And, I was kind of sad that the lead role did not get to hook up with his love interest.
If it were me, I would have went after him in a heartbeat, especially since he obviously wanted the same thing, and he was a nice looking man too! I also didn't get the whole sudden interest in someone else. What was that all about?

At any rate, it was a very touching movie. I'm glad that I finally talked my partner into watching it. He liked it too.