Big Eden - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Big Eden Reviews

October 26, 2010
Sweet movie. Would like to see it again.
½ October 6, 2010
Wonderful, sweet movie about love, intimacy, awakenings. Set in the nicest place imaginable where people accept each other unquestioningly. I like how the movie keeps surprising you because you wait for the intolerance, for the mean words, the rejection, everything you are used to and everything you expect from a movie like that set in a place like that. And it never comes, and it makes you long for that place. This might be one of the very few films where I liked every single character. And no, that does not make it boring.
September 30, 2010
Wow! What a charming delight -- a love story where the main characters haven't graced the covers of GQ! This is an "Everyman" love triangle set against a beautiful backdrop. No heavy message ... just sweetness and light.
September 23, 2010
What an exceptionally great and beautiful movie.
½ August 29, 2010
This movie is filled with great performances, and scenery. This movie is very touching and makes you feel for the characters!
July 14, 2010
Personally I am not a fan of many gay movies. I find most of them to be the same repetitive story. But this one I would say differantly. It's not about some guy who sneaks around having sex with 50 guys in a week until something happens that turns his life upside-down. It actually has a heart to it.
The story about a New Yorker going back to the small town he was raised in- Big Eden, Montana. He meets all his childhood friends and family and tries to stay in the closet from them since it's a small town. Strangely just about everyone's gaydar goes off pretty well and they still care about him either way. Then there's his high school best friend which he has his eyes on. Sadly he's married but nonetheless he likes him two. Awkward moments after awkward moments when they admit to eachother thier love, another man comes into play with a hidden interest for the main character: the native-american store clerk at the local hangout place for most of the men to chill out.Wishing he knew the man in high school he begins to hang out with him more, growing a friendly relationship till the native's crush grows bigger. Now he must choose between the two.
Overall it's almost something Hallmark would make. It's such a feelgood film it might as well be a card. But it is still a great movie about acceptance and works well for it's more-emotional scenes. The acting is pulled off abley and the music is decent for folk/country music, likable.
Enjoyable, likeable, watchable.
My only complaint: The big screen kiss. Even for straight couples it goes on a bit long. I remember sitting there thinking
May 26, 2010
Cute but clich├ęd. Arye Gross plays Henry Hart, a man who, after years of living in the city, returns home to the small town where he grew up to tend to his ailing father. Henry hasn't officially announced, however, that he digs dudes, for fear that the townsfolk will judge him harshly, but essentially everyone already knows he's gay and is totally okay with it (see, here the film seems to think it defies convention, when really convention is that you assume small-town people are close-minded, when really they're down with whatever, so the film just does what every other vaguely comparable film has already done). There's some sexual tension (ish) between he and childhood friend Dean (played by Tim DeKay), who has long since been married to a woman with whom he has fathered two children. (So, yeah, that ain't going to happen, Henry. Besides, the two of you don't have chemistry, in my opinion. When the two of you get close to kissing, it gives me a case of the squicks because you are just so unbelievable as a couple.) Eric Schweig, on the other hand, plays Pike Dexter, a completely sweet and adorable townsman who develops a crush on Henry, but is too shy to say anything about it. Schweig is by far the best thing about this picture (I want to put him in my pocket and take him with me everywhere!). It's worth a watch if you've got nothing else to make you feel all warm in your cold, hard heart.
May 18, 2010
Big Eden is overlong and unrealistic to the point of absurdity, but it's still a fairly sweet, sometimes touching romantic comedy with a homosexual spin. Arye Gross gives a great leading turn, hitting almost all the right notes, but his costars aren't nearly as good. The character of Pike is so frustrating that he almost ruins the movie, and the ultimate pairing doesn't feel justified. It's sort of like Catch and Release where there's no good option for the romantic lead, but the overall quality of the film is (thankfully) better.
½ April 8, 2010
Not your typical gay movie. Good acting and no stereotypes. Worth watching.
½ March 18, 2010
I picked this out on netflix because I remembered the title and a bunch of people sqeeeing about it. I was underwhelmed. I liked the supporting cast much better than the core cast, and the standout performer was Louise Fletcher (Nurse Ratchet, Kai Winn). Very much a Brokeback Mountain meet Elizabethtown, not to put to fine a point on it. Though not as dramatic as either. It got a few titters out of me, but overall I think the writing could have been better, the acting could have been better, the production as well. The only thing I really liked about it was the way the town itself became sort of a gestalt character interacting with the main characters using the face of one or a few of its members at a time. Everyone had the same goal, but at the same time, this plus actually obviated the lack of proper motivation for the main characters.
½ January 8, 2010
This is such a wonderful movie. The only stereotypical element about it is that in a small town EVERYONE knows your business. The acting is of a caliber that you know these are good hearted people trying to do a doo thing. You'd be hard pressed to find a better story about love, yearning, desire, heart break, confusion, happiness and sorrow. This film fills you with warmth of authenticity that you won't find in the biggest of blockbusters. There's an air of simplistic elegance to this love story that will leave the most rational person feeling warm, cozy, and content.
December 28, 2009
A sweet movie. I really enjoyed it.
December 18, 2009
Meh. It had potential for cute and quirky that was never reached, but did have some nice small town appeal.
December 16, 2009
What a nice refreshing gay love story for a change. And the scenery and setting is beautiful.
½ November 28, 2009
I would have ranked this movie lower but it was very well done. Although I enjoyed the movie, when it ended I just said to myself "if only that could happen in real life". As I said, it's well done, for a fairy tale. And for a pre-"brokeback" gay themed movie, it's a quality production. I think I may have liked the movie more if they would have taken a different direction at the end (Pike was too intense and shy, Dean seemed a better fit). I'm apprehensive to give it as high a mark as I have, except when I think about some of the failed attempts at gay themed movies...against those this movie stands out. Otherwise I would have rated it at 60%.
November 24, 2009
A Great Movie, Great Cast and beautiful scenes.
½ November 20, 2009
I just Big Eden and I highly recommend it. The movie was FANTASTIC!!!
November 19, 2009
I have just seen Big Eden and I think its one of the best gay movies I have seen so far.Although its a non-existent fairy tale,its warmth,charm and positive feel all stand out in a crowd of often depressive,psychoanalitycal,sadistic visions of a gay world trying to convince the viewer of the unbearable burden within them facing their own and society acceptance.
And big bravo for Eric's Schweig and other cast acting.Its so natural,funny and pure.
Wish Eric more BIG EDEN opportunities and his fans to watch.
October 2, 2009