The Big Gay Musical - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Big Gay Musical Reviews

½ May 26, 2015
An unfortunately low budget, but nevertheless heartwarming coming out and growing up story, so relatable to those of us who did both in the late 80's/early 90's. A lighthearted examination of just how special we are as gay and the extents to which fundamentals will go to deny us and who we really are and in the process who God really is. Watch it once or more. The story is timeless and precious.
May 25, 2015
HAHA!! I laughed so hard; this show was awesome!! The story was so endearing and beautiful. So much fun!
January 4, 2014
Aw, I loved it! Had a smile on my face and laughed out loud loads while watching it. The movie is full of witty humour. <3
July 15, 2013
Has to be the gayest movie I've ever seen... And it's not as cheesy as it might seem... Great soundtrack too...
June 29, 2013
good stories, great for all "gay levels" coming out, been out, etc. great singers and actors. :)
½ May 21, 2013
High production values for an indie gay film, but really -- not the excellent film the reviews might reflect. I found it emotionally esurient and shallow with acting on par with Missouri community theater. Weren't these guys featured players on "Off Pitch"?
½ February 5, 2013
It's funny but 90 min is too much
December 31, 2012
I was pleasantly surprised to find some very well written dialogue and great acting in this movie. The ending is very open and satisfying, especially the heartfelt song sung by Liz McCartney. It should be the theme anthem for the "It Gets Better Project". In the top 10% of the gay movie genre n my book.
October 15, 2012
I have probably seen this movie like twelve times and it's completely lovely in every way.
September 10, 2012
An off-broadway musical-in-the-film vaudeville, the musical is calledâAdam and Steve, Just the Way God Made Themâ?, so the skeletal story, one could effortless divine is a blasphemous entertainment, after Adam and Eve failed to achieve what Godâ(TM)s expectancy to blossom in the Eden (thanks to the forbidden fruit), he instead dabs in moulding a gay couple, the new Adam and Steve, but the film has no consistence in promoting the musical, since its absolutely small-scale theatre and its episodic occurrences only methodically adjusts itself to be the perfect foil in mirroring two leading actorsâ(TM) mundane lives, nevertheless the musical parts are arguably the redeeming features with a patchwork of the angelic dancing routines (the angel Dorothy is horridly over-the-top), corrective therapy to cure gayness and the Catholic kitsch sermons, which are partly insanely funny, partly inanely tedious.

There are no single ugly boys in the film, eye-candies are permeating, but the two leaders are considerably capable of doing more than just meet the eyes, Daniel Robinson gives an edge in his both physical movements and emotional thrust, (after a sudden and completely unexplained disappearance of his 3-weeks boyfriend, the once-believed-in-love boy decides to go wild), his rendition of âI WANNA BE A SLUTâ? is the crest of the entire film. Joey Dudding, who is dealing with the virgin coming-out cliche (with a bluff of HIV-panic), has his own moment in some strip-dancing solo presentation, but compared with Robinsonâ(TM)s go-slutty transformation, his section has barely any praiseworthy flickering.

By and large the film is as kitschy as any of its peers, thinking it too much is plain pointless and it is a timely reminder of us to cherish the day.
August 6, 2012
This film is a great help for those who are having trouble of coming out.
July 13, 2012
A sweet, well meaning if lovingly amateurish gay movie with some talented actor/singer/dancers.
½ May 16, 2012
Available on Hulu for free. Loved this movie, as well. Into musicals. Was a little campy, but just added to the charm of the movie, while educating me at the same time. Takes a factual, and satirical look at homosexuality, and religion with a modern view.
April 24, 2012
It's amazing I love it
April 20, 2012
I expected worse and was pleasantly surprised. Wooden at points but overall good. Especially the last scene - almost made me cry.
The plot is wrapped around two separate themes - absurdity of Christianity and the sluttyness of the gay society - also a coming-out is involved
½ January 19, 2012
So, let me just put this out there now, if you don't like theatre, are a homophobe, or a combination of the two DO NOT SEE THIS MOVIE. However, if you are an open minded individual who loves everyone no matter what their orientation, then yes give this a shot. As promised, this is super campy, with 99.9% of the humor being musicals/showtunes/religion themed. The stage musical itself that is being put on is highly, highly, satirical, and enjoyable, with good music, and fantastic voices singing that music. Even though it is not rated, this is not a movie for the kids. Fuck is said a few times, and there is sex all over the place, but nothing too explicit. Most likely would have gotten an R rating. Campiness aside, there is a real heart behind this movie, especially at the end, which I won't ruin for you, but I was tearing up. Maybe this movie should be shown to homophobes, they could learn a thing or two.

January 2, 2012
I guess I was in a rather sappy movie, but this was my second time watching the film and it had me laughing at the layers of gay cultural references and tearing up over the more poignant scenes in the film. I really enjoyed Daniel Robinson (Paul/Adam) and Joey Dudding (Eddie/Steve), but the entire ensemble was really stellar. I wish they had done more to work through the subplot of the HIV+ character. And, though, the play clearly drew a line in the sand that was (a) there's a Christian God and He loves you, and (b) God loves homosexuality, (both I disagree with on varying levels of philosophical and logical premises) I came away feeling great that it wasn't just another gay film without a proper, progressive message and there was great casting, directing, production, and acting throughout. I'll definitely watch this again.
½ December 25, 2011
WOW is all I got to say!
December 19, 2011
Vi la pelĂ­cula en la Ășltima ediciĂłn del Outfest PerĂș. Ciertamente es un buen musical de temĂĄtica gay.
½ November 23, 2011
Dull and predictable story with cardboard cutout characters and offensive, negative stereotypes. Hard to believe I like other films from Casper so much. This one seems like the work of an entirely different person. Rated half a star for Corrigan's beauty.