The Big Lebowski - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Big Lebowski Reviews

September 26, 2016
The Big Lewboski is a great love letter to film noir with endlessly quotable lines, entertaining characters and the Coen Brothers laid back atmosphere and dark sense of humor.
September 26, 2016
Deliciously weird, profoundly amusing, "The Big Lebowski" is a blissful combination of hilarity, pitch-perfect dialogue, and a strangely comforting feeling by the end of it all.
September 20, 2016
Hilarious but uneven comedy from the Coen Brothers that is remembered more for it's brilliant lead performances than their trademark quirky humor. Much of the appeal of this film is the cast, particularly Jeff Bridges as the Dude and John Goodman as Walter, who both give the best performances of their careers. Bridges attacks the role of the Dude with hilarious precision, making him a likable bum you can't help but root for. While he is out to make a quick buck, or at least get his rug replaced, he never wants to hurt anyone and has such a sweet nature when he just wants to go bowling with his friends. Goodman is his polar opposite but equally hilarious as Walter, a Jewish veteran more than willing to pull a gun during a bowling match but doesn't like to work during the Sabbath. Together, the two are one of the funniest pairings in film in recent decades and make it well worth watching by itself. Behind the camera, the Coen Brothers deliver a fun satire on detective films, the idea being the detective is someone as dumb as the Dude, which does lead to much of it's hilarity. However, they go too far in some of their eccentricities (Juilanne Moore is fun but a bit out there as the femme fatale while I still have no idea what David Thewlis was doing in this movie). It isn't quite as polished as their classic comedy "Raising Arizona", but still lots of fun, if only for Bridges's & Goodman's brilliant performances. Not a perfect film but well worth viewing.
½ September 14, 2016
dumbest movie i ever saw , lame , lame ,lame
½ September 10, 2016
One of the best Joel and Ethan Cohen movie yet
September 9, 2016
Visually tasteful and fluid chemistry and performances for a Coen Brothers' cult film. The Big Lebowski is a simple story that requires no over-analyzing to delve into its narrative and concept. It's effective, humorous and overall a wacky classic. 4/5
September 3, 2016
Why this movie is famous?
August 24, 2016
Funny movie. Cultural classic. Original
August 20, 2016
The movie was brilliant. It had its feminist parodies, and so on. Actors Portrayed the character's very well. The comedy was right there, and an interesting story.
August 19, 2016
Go fuck yourself you stupid fucking movie asshole critics. The big lebowski is a great movie and you all deserve a special place in hell for not liking it.
½ August 17, 2016
From what I heard this is a very good and quite famous movie, well received and known. After watching it I still don't really know how it got to where it is. Sure it's good and all, but it doesn't seem like that I was promised from all the positive reviews and pop culture that praise it so much. Maybe it's because of some deeper meaning that I don't understand, but it just seems so-so to me. It does have and good cast, Jeff Bridges seems a little crazy and his hallucinations are just weird to watch, and hard to follow. Sometimes I laughed just wondering what was going on, and I couldn't tell if I was meant to at all. The acting is good, and the script is impressive, yet the plot is nothing special and extremely unrealistic, I'm not saying that's a big issue however. It was amusing at least, the story was ok but an interesting watch, although it's nothing overly special. Overall it's a ok movie, it's still in my genre, but maybe just not my style I guess. Don't know why I didn't find it as good as I thought it would be, but glad I can say I've seen it now at least.
August 17, 2016
Entertaining throughout with dazzling sequences and witty dialogue, The Big Lebowski presents a full throttle Coen brothers trademark in cinema, displaying two excellent and hilarious performances from Jeff Bridges and John Goodman.
½ August 15, 2016
Bridges is perfect, but Goodman steals the show in this hilarious bro/stoner flick.
August 7, 2016
8/28/2015: A classic! It's not overly funny, but still a decent movie.
July 25, 2016
Movie is a waste of time .. And makes no sense ... Overrated !!!
July 23, 2016
This is what happens when you make a great, quotable movie with wonderfully-drawn characters.
July 21, 2016
Don't get me wrong, I love the Coen Brothers. But, this apparent cult-classic really isn't anything special. Yes it looks good, and the performances from both Jeff Bridges and John Goodman are to be admired. But the movie's just not very good. It's most unfunny, littered with far too much bad language, and it ultimately failed at doing the one thing every movie needs to - entertain.
July 20, 2016
"The Big Lebowski" is very good at what it sets out to be a funny, funny movie, with great balconies, and even as a genre had "minor" it still has great balconies, the plot is great, looks like a movie mobster Scorsese, very well built and great solutions, but in the end reminds us that it is a comedy film, and may not be as serious, the script makes us fully understand all the characters, even some with little screen time, photography is great, the soundtrack very well embedded with the scenes, the performances in this film are expendidas, especially John Goodman is magnifico as "Walter Sobchak" and completely steals every scene in which it appears, the setting of the movie is also great, and all the great games, scenes that "the guy" is drunk or drugged and shows their "trips" are sensational, although they realize the fragility of special effects, some characters also appear in the plot without much reason, and others also arise, are spectacular and are not used, but overall "the Big Lebowski" is a comedy film the Coen brothers there, that is GREAT.
July 18, 2016
Lets face it Joel Coen and Ethan Coen are just excellent directors and with The Big Lebowski they craft their best film ever. The Big Lebowski is a hilarious Coen Brothers film with the absolute best one liners. The film has by far the greatest trio in cinema history with "The Dude" (Jeff Bridges), Walter (John Goodman) and Donny (Steve Buscemi) and the whole cast is perfect for their roles. I've always loved Jeff Bridges and his performance as "The Dude" is the best performance of his career, after I saw this movie I never saw Jeff Bridges or John Goodman the same way ever again. I don't think its possible for the Coen Brothers to make a bad film and this film in my opinion is beyond perfect. If you are a Coen Brothers fan there is no way you haven't seen this movie yet, however if you some how are and haven't seen the film you are not a true fan until you see it, this film is just a classic film. If you are a fan of crime comedies I totally recommend The Big Lebowski for you.
July 12, 2016
A great cult movie and me seeing I can go again and again.