The Big Lebowski - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Big Lebowski Reviews

December 7, 2016
Humour that is clever and doesn't rely on stupidity, regardless of how cartoonish the characters may seem.
November 28, 2016
With a witty script and charming performances, The Big Lebowski is smart, bizarre and hilarious.
November 28, 2016
A baffling but wonderful film that revels in elements that would be other film's flaws.
November 24, 2016
The "Dude," another specimen in the Coen gallery of fascinating, eccentric characters, easily wins our sympathy thanks especially to Jeff Bridges, who is wonderful and shines together with John Goodman in a very funny and engaging story.
½ November 22, 2016
There are a not insignificant number of absolutely classic movies that I have somehow missed up to this point in my life. The Big Lebowski was one of the more egregious examples. Was...until now. Keeping in mind that I have lived half my life being bombarded by slobbering praise and endless quotes from this cult classic, I tried to watch with as open a mind as I possibly could, taking special care to guard against too lofty of expectations. Having said all that, it is pretty damn funny. The characters are cartoonish in there actions and dialogue, and the story is ridiculous beyond belief at times, not to mention some extremely bizarre dream sequences that seem to exist only to not allow the audience to get too comfortable with the tone, but it all works. Jeff Bridges is perfect, as is John Goodman. The supporting cast all fit very nicely in their spots, regardless of how senseless their roles may be. The story is compelling, somehow. I have no doubt that with more viewings (and a few bong hits) I would grow to love this movie as much as everyone else. So, to the other guy who hasn't seen this movie, if you read this, go ahead. You won't be sorry.
November 21, 2016
Not much to say but "The Dude abides"
½ November 19, 2016
The Big Lebowski had a very original and funny plot. The characters were very unique and were truly brought to life by these strong performances.
½ November 18, 2016
this movie is slow and doesn't really follow standard Movie progression, and I like that it's experimental. It's a funny yet interesting movie.
November 14, 2016
I love this film unconditionally. The best Raymond Chandler pastiche ever made ... and that includes "Chinatown" (though that's a super tough call to make).
½ November 12, 2016
It's hard not to like The Dude and his style. The Big Lebowski is certainly the best and most entertaining of all of the Coen Brothers movies by far. Very original and memorable. There's just one thing. Do they have to use so many cuss words? (First viewing - Spring 2007)
½ October 30, 2016
The Big Lebowski is funny and entertaining but lacks empathetic characters and doesn't have much of a rewatchable value.
October 28, 2016
kinda boring, Coen bros can't do it right all the time
October 26, 2016
An unlikely series of events befalls unlikely friends. This film is brimming with the satirical in every scene. As the Dude is coerced by one force or another, he is pushed into surreal backdrops with ridiculous characters and even more ridiculous conversations. The best of which come from his interactions with best friend and fellow bowling aficionado, Walter, who is the Dude's polar opposite.

His angry outbursts at the state of society and willingness to solve all problems by righteous rage fueled violence provide a hilarious element to this winding, twisting social commentary.

Disposing somewhat of the formulaic nature of traditional cinema, The Big Lebowski is uniquely funny and compelling.
October 21, 2016
While I did enjoy the movie for the most part, it wasn't until the movie finished that I just felt empty by the ending, like what was the point in it all? I'm glad I watched The Big Lebowski though and as I said I did still enjoy it for the most part the ending just fell flat in my opinion.
October 19, 2016
Typical Coen brothers movie, with excellent performances and twisted plot with much dark humour and absurd situations.
October 14, 2016
I'm not gonna lie, I wasn't a fan of the film when I first saw it about 10 years ago. But I was also younger and didn't get it. Now that I'm older and (hopefully) a little wiser, I got it more and also enjoyed it more. Do I still think it's a bit overrated? Yes. But I do see why people like it and why it has such a cult following. The characters are amazing and easily the best part of the film. The story is somewhat wonky, but the writing makes it up for it with some really memorable dialogue.
½ October 10, 2016
The Coen Brothers are a mixed bag for me. It's usually a 50/50 chance of me adoring the movie or being so incredibly bored by it. This is the former. This is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen, and I have no earthly idea why. Nothing happens in this whole damn movie. NOTHING. NOOOTHHINNG. So yeah it's a masterpiece and you should watch it.
½ October 9, 2016
This movie could of been some dumb comedy that doesn't tie up loose ends and has some funny moments. But I think the majority of people who have seen this film know that its a lot more than that but no one really knows why.

The film is all about Jeffery Labowski (Jeff Bridges) who goes by the name 'The Dude'. Never explained why, just the dude. Which I think adds to the charm of the movie. Nothing is really explained it just is. Three Germans with a pet marmot? Just except it. The personality of 'The dude' is cleverly translated in to the overall tone of the film even to the end where the last line is ' The dude abides' and he walks off with so many plot points still going on, this film doesn't know the sense of closure but oddly. It works very well. I don't know why I decided to write a review to this film as it's already achieved a cult following and anybody with a Blu-ray player knows what it is but I think a film like this where it apologetically does what it wants is what we need in cinema today. For a further example, just look at the front cover, one of the key characters is 'Jesus'. Their pedophile rival in bowling, there were so many vital characters to the plot they could of included instead but they didn't. Also, there are many scenes that they left in that wasn't needed.

In an interview I watched about the Coen Brothers they stated that they work on a moment of a film first and work the plot around it and I think that becomes most apparent in this film. I feel like maybe its a get out of jail free card to say this movie just works but it's true. It has a certain charm to it and I am not surprised that it's as popular as it is. This movie definitely is a hole in one (Bowling puns).
½ October 1, 2016
Not sure what the hype on this thing is? Terrible movie. John Goodman was solid as always.