The Big Lebowski - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Big Lebowski Reviews

April 5, 2018
Best movie ever made. Man.
½ April 4, 2018
A very funny film with excellent characters, possibly the Coen Brothers' best film.
½ March 17, 2018
One of my all time favourite films and just gets better with age. The Coen brothers masterpiece, wonderfully witty script peppered with awesome charterers of which John Goodman's deserves special mention but all fade in comparison to the one and only "Dude".
½ March 15, 2018
Puntaje Original: 7.5

Una obra maestra, con un excelente guión y una genial dirección. The Big Lebowski es probablemente uno de los films más memorables del cine noventero estadounidense.
March 6, 2018
The big lebowski HAD ITS 20TH ANNIVERSARY ON MAR 6, 1998. sTILL A FUN MOVIE TO THIS DATE.
March 4, 2018
"The Big Lebowski" - a renowned stoner film, as well as a much-celebrated cult favourite, Now for the million-dollar question: is it worth its status?

To get the visual aspect out of the way: there really is nothing to write home about here. Sure, there are some nice shots here and there, but apart from a few nice locations and the occasional trippy special effect montage, scenes are ... generic.

The story in "The Big Lebowski" is fairly unique, albeit for its significant unimportance (as said by the writers themselves). Summarised: A mundane, hippyish stoner dude, Jeff Lebowski (more often going by the nickname of "The Dude") is mistaken by a bunch of German mobsters for a rich and famous Korean-war veteran with the same exact name. They break into The Dude's home, assault him, and pee on his rug. Thus, The Dude's quest becomes to find a similar rug, because "that rug really tied to room together", as he frequently states. In the process, he gets involved in a (plausibly staged) kidnapping - which is never actually resolved during the movie - and comes into contact with various weird characters, all whilst being accompanied by his evenly weird friend Walter: a numbskull, bowling Vietnam-war veteran.
As a viewer, I had no idea what anything in the movie would lead up to. One could say a bit of obscurity is a good thing, but having NO direction takes away from overall experience. As such, all characters stay frustratingly flat the entire time.

Weirdly enough, the unimportance of "The Big Lebowski"'s story is what makes it relatively enjoyable; clearly, the only focal point is that The Dude doesn't care, which is most probably why the film is so popular. The only realisation a new audience has to make, is that it doesn't have to expect the movie to go anywhere, just like "The Big Lebowski" doesn't pretend to be a film to expect anything from.
½ January 31, 2018
(89/100)
Pretty funny.
January 30, 2018
The cultiest movie of the 90s.... here it is! Funny from the first second to the last, full of crazy and unforgettable characters, brilliantly written and directed. I am not even sure is the best movie of the Coen B. but it is definitely the most unforgettable. Un-missable!
January 29, 2018
Perhaps the greatest comedy of all time.
January 21, 2018
You're out of your fucking element Donnie!
January 16, 2018
Love this movie. That carpet really pulled the room together...
January 13, 2018
****
Rewatching this for the first time since I originally saw it in 2015, it's definitely better than I remember and I did appreciate it more. Undeniably well-made, endlessly quotable and with two fantastic lead performances from Jeff Bridges and John Goodman, this is one hell of an enjoyable ride. I still think it's a bit inconsequential, like most of the Coen Brothers' comedies, but the characters are strong enough to make the film worthwhile anyway.
January 4, 2018
Awesome! not what i was expecting at all. cant believe it took me so long to see this. Really fun and funny
January 2, 2018
This movie is without a doubt, one of the most clever and funniest movies that I've ever watched in my life, with a hilarious perfomances from John Goodman (as crazed Vietnam veteran Walter Sobchak) and the unforegettable lead perfomance by Jeff Bridges (as "The Dude"), this is a comedy so timeless that nowadays comedies cannot match. Definitely has become one of my favorites.
Rating: 8 out of 10.
December 26, 2017
M-F-O

8.7

[Joel & Ethan Coen]
½ December 25, 2017
One of the funniest movies ever. The best part about this movie is the humor you have to pay attention to get; and it's not a bad plot, either. A Coen brothers classic.
December 25, 2017
Very, Very funny, and hip. One of the great comedies of all time
December 12, 2017
Vibrant and stunning surrealism augmented with a complex and hilarious plot brought to life by the under-appreciated Bridges/Goodman comedy team. A spectacular out-of-this-world comedy which by now is less of a cult classic and more of a cornerstone in late '90s cinema.
December 9, 2017
Possibly the best film ever made.
December 4, 2017
The Big Lebowski is pure unfiltered entertainment. Great cast, original story, many laughs and quotes that will stick with you long after the movie has ended.