The Big Lebowski - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Big Lebowski Reviews

July 15, 2017
Bridges, Goodman, Huddleston, and Buscemi. Thats the perfect formula for a damn good entertaining movie.
July 13, 2017
One of the funniest movies of all time. Not the easily affronted. The Dude and his friends are drawn into a mess involving a kidnapping, a swindle, a run, a bowling tourney, an impregnation ... it just keeps getting better as the movie goes along. Superb cast, the Coen Brothers at their best.
July 6, 2017
This is one of the funniest movie I've seen in a very long time. I was laughing so hard throughout most of the movie. There isn't really a strong story to this movie but that's one of the best parts about it. Great movie. With clever dialogue and great characters this is a must watch movie for any person with a sense of humor. ????????????????????
½ July 2, 2017
Un film che di certo non ha bisogno di presentazioni, vista la sua enorme fama che lo ha fatto diventare un cult. I personaggi intramontabili che ci vengono raccontati sono scritti e pensati alla perfezione, con una forte caratterizzazione che persiste lungo tutta la durata della pellicola. La serie di eventi che si viene a creare segue il classico caos casuale tipico dei Coen, con risvolti sempre ironici e sopra le righe. Non è il loro migliore film, è certamente uno dei più divertenti, ma manca quella profondità emotiva e velata che caratterizza le loro migliori opere. Resta comunque un grande film, ricco di personaggi emblematici e difficili da dimenticare.
June 23, 2017
A perfect film. You will watch it again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and always be hooked and discover something new.
June 21, 2017
Another great classic off my watch list. Next!
June 11, 2017
The dude abides. We see him go through that in a comedy that goes extra miles the same way the dude is forced to go all because some bastard pissed on his rug. A fun comedy of errors dealing with two Jeff Lebowskis, a satchel of dirty underwear, a severed toe, and a group of German nihilists. And yet the only one to turn to is a friend with a short temper and a stubborn mind. But hey, it's good knowing The Dude is taking life by stride. Thanks to Coen's direction and dialogue, we all feel like taking it easy at the bowling alley, White Russian in hand.
June 10, 2017
'THE BIG LEBOWSKI' was directed by Joel and Ethan Coen, and stars Jeff Bridges, John Goodman and Julian Moore. When 'The Dude'(Jeff Bridges) is mistaken for Jeffrey Lebowski(David Huddleston), his life becomes a lot more complicated than before.

Word of Advice: watch this movie while intoxicated. I watched it while sober and still enjoyed it immensely but I guarantee that watching this movie while off your head will improve it. That said, this is a very enjoyable comedy. Jeff Bridges shines bright as 'The Dude' with an excellent cast, including John Goodman and Phillip Seymour Hoffman, also providing great performances and being the potatoes to this meat and potato pie. The comedy is pretty good and I'll definitely say that more jokes hit than they do fail. That said, I won't say that many jokes in this movie are hysterically funny; I chuckled a lot but I only full on laughed out loud maybe 2 or 3 times. That isn't a massive gripe but it's something I though I should mention.

My main gripe with this movie is that being intoxicated is probably the best way to see it, and that is not a major gripe at all. The story is pretty basic but works well for what it is attempting to do. Despite this, they set up a lot of character and story arcs that go NOWHERE which was really annoying. That is my second major flaw with this movie. It sets up interesting characters like Jesus and even Donnie but then ignores them or even completely forgets them for the majority of the plot. I would rather the characters not be in the movie, than have them in it for only a minuscule amount of time. The ending(which I love by the way) is very open and allows a lot more possibilities for sequels where they could have explored these characters more and gave them more depth instead of cramming them all into this one movie.

Even with these flaws, the movie is very damn enjoyable. Its incredible, colourful, imaginative characters really drive the movie and they are what makes this movie shine. That is why I wanted more time going to some of the supporting roles. A lot of effort was clearly put into these characters and I wish they got more screen time to bloom.

It's a very technically proficient movie; the cinematography is pretty good. The set and costume design is great. I have no real flaws with this movie as far as sets and camera-work goes. Maybe a few changes to character and set design but I can't say it was anything that really hindered my enjoyment.

All in all, this movie is very enjoyable sober(and I imagine even more so while on something) therefor I do recommend this movie to anyone, so long as you're prepared to possibly have a breakdown during a few sequences of this movie. It's a very enjoyable movie, and I'll rate it 8 rugs out of 10.
May 30, 2017
I didn't watch my buddies die face down in the mud of Vietnam so you could step over the goddamn line!! Don't fuck with the Jesus!
May 29, 2017
Apparently I'm not a Coen brothers comedy fan, but I have liked some of their more serious endeavors. That said, they do write some interesting characters.
½ May 26, 2017
This movie definitely had its moments. Praise must be given to Bridges and Goodman of course. Thought it could have been a little bit shorter. Great comedy and cult film.
May 9, 2017
My favorite comedy of all time, bar none. So Jeffery Lebowski (Jeff Bridges) is not someone who has chosen to go by the handle that his parents have provided him. Instead, he simply goes by the Dude. When he gets mistaken for a millionaire by the same Christian name, he soon finds that his rug has fresh urine stains on it. This is a movie about him trying to get compensated for his rug and finding himself smack dab in the middle of a crime story. There are two types of people in this world: people who love the Big Lebowski and people I do not understand. This is a film I view as being perfect, and I still laugh out loud every time I give this a spin, even though I have seen this no less than two dozen times. This movie is brilliant for all so many reasons. For one, the script is masterfully penned. This is the Coen brothers at their absolute best, and I admire how they can write characters having a conversation with one another, when in actuality, they are talking about two completely different things. There is a repetition with dialogue, like how the Dude's vocabulary is composed mainly of items he heard discussed in a previous scene, and it really gets you in the mindset of this character. He is a drunken stoner to be sure, and the way that he just ambles through life is just something that puts me at ease, even though I already know how this story is going to play out. The trifecta of the Dude, Walter and Donny make up some of the best scenes in an already excellent film. There is a rhythm in speech patterns, and it slays me every time. Even all of the side characters are fully memorable, and there isn't a movie out there that does quirky characters better than The Big Lebowski. This movie is infinitely quotable and I can reference scenes line for line with my eyes closed. I've seen this movie so many times, I notice things that most people do not, like how a third of this movie takes place in a bowling alley, and yet, the Dude never bowls, or who Walter is REALLY talking to when he says, "Life does not stop and start at your convenience, you miserable piece of shit." Every single scene stands on its own and is perfectly connected in an overarching story, which is a feat to behold. I love watching the gears turn in the brains of every single one of these characters, and I have yet to watch the Big Lebowski where it doesn't put a giant smile on my face.
May 7, 2017
This movie is beyond legendary. This film is so great, I joined the religion that spawned from it and became one of their ordained priests. THAT is how fucking good this is!
½ May 4, 2017
It's hard not to like The Dude and his style. The Big Lebowski is certainly the best and most entertaining of all of the Coen Brothers movies by far. Very original and memorable. There's just one thing. Do they have to use so many cuss words? (First viewing - Spring 2007)
½ April 27, 2017
Obviously your not a golfer.
April 26, 2017
Who wouldn't like this
April 18, 2017
A gay romp with Jeff, Walter and Donny.
April 17, 2017
Je trouve ce film excellent. Très drole, très bien filmé. Les acteurs sont convaincants, mais surtout, John Turturro qui est mythique en Jesus.
April 14, 2017
It's life - in simplest form. The Big Lebowski is both one of the funniest movies ever made, and insightful. Due to its popularity that has only increased over the years, it is the subject of over-analyzation. It is not philosophical, but an exaggeration of everyday problems. Everyone remembers the scene when Walter pulls a gun on a man for stepping over the line in a bowling tournament. This is of course, an exaggeration of when someone makes a little mistake. Our protagonist got one of his best friends killed because a hit man urinated on his rug. The whole story is simply a melodramatic allegory for revenge. It "is about an attitude, not a story," which Roger Ebert used to open his 4 star review. I do not remember the film for it's satirical quirks, but its quick-witted humor. To not laugh in this film is to not cry at the end of It's A Wonderful Life.
Our main character is called "The Dude," who is the ultimate embodiment of laziness. He is a slouch, a stoner, and a no-life (he listens to the sounds of a bowling balls hitting pins while laying on the floor), but he understands the concept of what a decent human being is and, to be honest, he is not a bad man. He knows when to say something and when to keep your mouth shut.
The film is by the brothers Joel and Ethan Coen, who have made such great films as "Blood Simple," "Fargo," "Barton Fink," "Miller's Crossing," and "Fargo." They are, like the tough-as-nails Samuel Fuller, dedicated to avant-garde filmmaking. The Big Lebowski is their best film.