The Big Lebowski - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Big Lebowski Reviews

June 10, 2017
'THE BIG LEBOWSKI' was directed by Joel and Ethan Coen, and stars Jeff Bridges, John Goodman and Julian Moore. When 'The Dude'(Jeff Bridges) is mistaken for Jeffrey Lebowski(David Huddleston), his life becomes a lot more complicated than before.

Word of Advice: watch this movie while intoxicated. I watched it while sober and still enjoyed it immensely but I guarantee that watching this movie while off your head will improve it. That said, this is a very enjoyable comedy. Jeff Bridges shines bright as 'The Dude' with an excellent cast, including John Goodman and Phillip Seymour Hoffman, also providing great performances and being the potatoes to this meat and potato pie. The comedy is pretty good and I'll definitely say that more jokes hit than they do fail. That said, I won't say that many jokes in this movie are hysterically funny; I chuckled a lot but I only full on laughed out loud maybe 2 or 3 times. That isn't a massive gripe but it's something I though I should mention.

My main gripe with this movie is that being intoxicated is probably the best way to see it, and that is not a major gripe at all. The story is pretty basic but works well for what it is attempting to do. Despite this, they set up a lot of character and story arcs that go NOWHERE which was really annoying. That is my second major flaw with this movie. It sets up interesting characters like Jesus and even Donnie but then ignores them or even completely forgets them for the majority of the plot. I would rather the characters not be in the movie, than have them in it for only a minuscule amount of time. The ending(which I love by the way) is very open and allows a lot more possibilities for sequels where they could have explored these characters more and gave them more depth instead of cramming them all into this one movie.

Even with these flaws, the movie is very damn enjoyable. Its incredible, colourful, imaginative characters really drive the movie and they are what makes this movie shine. That is why I wanted more time going to some of the supporting roles. A lot of effort was clearly put into these characters and I wish they got more screen time to bloom.

It's a very technically proficient movie; the cinematography is pretty good. The set and costume design is great. I have no real flaws with this movie as far as sets and camera-work goes. Maybe a few changes to character and set design but I can't say it was anything that really hindered my enjoyment.

All in all, this movie is very enjoyable sober(and I imagine even more so while on something) therefor I do recommend this movie to anyone, so long as you're prepared to possibly have a breakdown during a few sequences of this movie. It's a very enjoyable movie, and I'll rate it 8 rugs out of 10.
May 30, 2017
I didn't watch my buddies die face down in the mud of Vietnam so you could step over the goddamn line!! Don't fuck with the Jesus!
May 29, 2017
Apparently I'm not a Coen brothers comedy fan, but I have liked some of their more serious endeavors. That said, they do write some interesting characters.
½ May 26, 2017
This movie definitely had its moments. Praise must be given to Bridges and Goodman of course. Thought it could have been a little bit shorter. Great comedy and cult film.
May 9, 2017
My favorite comedy of all time, bar none. So Jeffery Lebowski (Jeff Bridges) is not someone who has chosen to go by the handle that his parents have provided him. Instead, he simply goes by the Dude. When he gets mistaken for a millionaire by the same Christian name, he soon finds that his rug has fresh urine stains on it. This is a movie about him trying to get compensated for his rug and finding himself smack dab in the middle of a crime story. There are two types of people in this world: people who love the Big Lebowski and people I do not understand. This is a film I view as being perfect, and I still laugh out loud every time I give this a spin, even though I have seen this no less than two dozen times. This movie is brilliant for all so many reasons. For one, the script is masterfully penned. This is the Coen brothers at their absolute best, and I admire how they can write characters having a conversation with one another, when in actuality, they are talking about two completely different things. There is a repetition with dialogue, like how the Dude's vocabulary is composed mainly of items he heard discussed in a previous scene, and it really gets you in the mindset of this character. He is a drunken stoner to be sure, and the way that he just ambles through life is just something that puts me at ease, even though I already know how this story is going to play out. The trifecta of the Dude, Walter and Donny make up some of the best scenes in an already excellent film. There is a rhythm in speech patterns, and it slays me every time. Even all of the side characters are fully memorable, and there isn't a movie out there that does quirky characters better than The Big Lebowski. This movie is infinitely quotable and I can reference scenes line for line with my eyes closed. I've seen this movie so many times, I notice things that most people do not, like how a third of this movie takes place in a bowling alley, and yet, the Dude never bowls, or who Walter is REALLY talking to when he says, "Life does not stop and start at your convenience, you miserable piece of shit." Every single scene stands on its own and is perfectly connected in an overarching story, which is a feat to behold. I love watching the gears turn in the brains of every single one of these characters, and I have yet to watch the Big Lebowski where it doesn't put a giant smile on my face.
May 7, 2017
This movie is beyond legendary. This film is so great, I joined the religion that spawned from it and became one of their ordained priests. THAT is how fucking good this is!
½ May 4, 2017
It's hard not to like The Dude and his style. The Big Lebowski is certainly the best and most entertaining of all of the Coen Brothers movies by far. Very original and memorable. There's just one thing. Do they have to use so many cuss words? (First viewing - Spring 2007)
½ April 27, 2017
Obviously your not a golfer.
April 26, 2017
Who wouldn't like this
April 18, 2017
A gay romp with Jeff, Walter and Donny.
April 17, 2017
Je trouve ce film excellent. Très drole, très bien filmé. Les acteurs sont convaincants, mais surtout, John Turturro qui est mythique en Jesus.
April 14, 2017
It's life - in simplest form. The Big Lebowski is both one of the funniest movies ever made, and insightful. Due to its popularity that has only increased over the years, it is the subject of over-analyzation. It is not philosophical, but an exaggeration of everyday problems. Everyone remembers the scene when Walter pulls a gun on a man for stepping over the line in a bowling tournament. This is of course, an exaggeration of when someone makes a little mistake. Our protagonist got one of his best friends killed because a hit man urinated on his rug. The whole story is simply a melodramatic allegory for revenge. It "is about an attitude, not a story," which Roger Ebert used to open his 4 star review. I do not remember the film for it's satirical quirks, but its quick-witted humor. To not laugh in this film is to not cry at the end of It's A Wonderful Life.
Our main character is called "The Dude," who is the ultimate embodiment of laziness. He is a slouch, a stoner, and a no-life (he listens to the sounds of a bowling balls hitting pins while laying on the floor), but he understands the concept of what a decent human being is and, to be honest, he is not a bad man. He knows when to say something and when to keep your mouth shut.
The film is by the brothers Joel and Ethan Coen, who have made such great films as "Blood Simple," "Fargo," "Barton Fink," "Miller's Crossing," and "Fargo." They are, like the tough-as-nails Samuel Fuller, dedicated to avant-garde filmmaking. The Big Lebowski is their best film.
½ April 4, 2017
Warning: This Review May Contain Spoilers

When this film first came out, it didn't do that well at the box office and it received mixed reviews. However, over the years, it has not only acquired a huge cult following, but it has also had many books written about it, analyzing the philosophy in the movie. This seems a bit confusing at first sight because "The Big Lebowski" seems like a mediocre comedy film at first sight. However, is it possible that it has a deeper meaning?

The movie centers around a man who calls himself The Dude who is an unemployed loser who aims very low in life and doesn't do much. All he wants to do in life is to continue living the way he does and to go bowling. However, one day when he is mistaken for a millionaire by 2 thugs, he gets involved with multiple characters as it becomes possible that the quiet lifestyle he enjoys living may be over.

Why does this film work so well in the first place? It has a ton of scenes which could be cut from the movie that wouldn't effect its plot whatsoever. Examples of these scenes include the dream sequences, the talk with the cop, Donny's death, and Maude's attempt to become pregnant with The Dude. Also, half of the conversations seemed to drag on very long and some of the ones which last a few minutes could be summarized in a few lines. Finally, most of its sub-plots have no conclusion to them. Examples include the kid who stole The Dude's car, The Dude's rug being stolen, and the outcome of Maude's attempt to become pregnant. However, the biggest unconcluded sub-plot in the film is the bowling tournament that was hyped up for such a long time throughout the whole movie, only for the film to drop the ball and go nowhere near it. While probably all other films which do this would be dismissed as pure garbage, this one somehow gets away with it. The question remains: why is that so?

In "Burn After Reading", another Coen's brothers film, its plot was sort of similar as all the buildup in the movie led to nothing. However, what makes this film more unique than that movie is that it didn't even have much of a buildup for its scenes in the first place. Most of the situations and sub-plots in this film stop before they even get going with them or have a chance for the film to explore those sub-plots. Most other films would get despised if they did this. In fact, some people do despise this as it sets them up for disappointment if they became interested in a particular sub-plot.

However, what I find so interesting about these sub-plots is how they tie in together with the character of The Dude. The Dude is sort of a loser who doesn't do much with his life. He has no job, he always wears shabby clothing, and it appears that all that matters to him in life is remaining the way he is and going bowling with his 2 bowling buddies. The reason why it doesn't matter to us what happens in these situations is because it doesn't matter that much to him. That's not to say that he doesn't care at all when these situations happen as he does show that he has a moral center. He tries to defend himself so he doesn't get injured or killed by other people, and he also shows concern when Bunny Lebowski gets kidnapped and is in danger of getting killed. However, it also seems that he just wants to live comfortably (even as a lazy, jobless loser) and only worry about himself instead of others or what others want to do to him. The film shows that he only has a moral center when something bad might happen to him or other people around him. Obviously, he doesn't offer the world much, but he also doesn't harm other people. He keeps his goals and standards pretty low and he is a loser, but he doesn't mind being a loser. This is the thing which holds the movie together.

Now that I've talked about its plot for a bit, I want to briefly talk about other aspects to the story that I liked. Firstly, the acting is pretty great. Jeff Bridges as The Dude does a great job as the leading role. The dull attitude of The Dude in the film is greatly represented by the dull, but lovable tone of voice that Jeff Bridges shows. Also, John Goodman gives a great performance as Walter. His performance also has some of the charm that Jeff Bridges brought to the screen. Both of them carry the movie excellently as their performances help carry home what the deeper meaning of the movie is. Also, the 2 dream sequences are highly imaginative as much as they are visually intriguing. They're my favorite part of the movie as they are creative, and some of the bizarre imagery in them is actually kind of funny due to the creativity that they have.

In conclusion, I'd say that this film is a masterpiece just because it has accomplished something that no other movie I can think of has accomplished in the same way as this one. It tells an original story that has never been done before, and its plot is filled with creativity. Obviously, some people won't like how it doesn't conclude most of its sub-plots so it's not for everyone, but I can appreciate it for its uniqueness and creativity. On top of the unique plot, the acting and dream sequences are also pretty good. I recommend this film to all fans of cinema. If you are able to look over the fact that most of the sub-plots have no conclusion, you are in for a fantastic experience that has never been done before. Also, it will probably remain unique for dozens of years.
April 1, 2017
overrated stoner movie that is slow and painfully boring.
March 26, 2017
March 2011
March 2017
March 25, 2017
I love the humor in this movie. I've watched it like over 20 times already.
½ March 24, 2017
Unfunny and overrated
March 23, 2017
Way overrated....unfunny and very boring
March 22, 2017
A Coen classic! This movie is just as funny as it is smart and dark. The only way you can see this movie is through multible viewings!