The Big One - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Big One Reviews

April 23, 2016
Pretty good movie. Very good start to what Michael Moore would continue to pursuit for the rest of his life. The stand up parts were kind of boring though and sometimes Michael Moore came off as pushy, but then again, that's what he does. The ending with the Nike chairman was really good though.
February 25, 2016
This film chronicles Michael Moore's cross-country book tour. It's humorous and sad in the same vein as Roger & Me as it showcases his satirical attitude toward corporate values and layoffs occurring at the height of profitability. Surprisingly, it wraps up with an interview with Nike CEO Phil Knight and Moore finally gets to film a scene of himself interviewing a corporate titan who is seemingly insensitive to the plight of the American worker. It's a cinematic landscape of 90s America.
November 5, 2015
Michael Moore shows his commitment to digging for the truth yet again. However multiple tines during the film the subject at hand gets changed.
½ April 23, 2015
kinda all over the place
May 23, 2014
Entertaining, though not very informative for most people in 2014. I already knew what the message of this movie would be before it began, but there are excellent examples of the humans affected by corporate greed which makes it worth watching. It felt a bit gimmicky and self-promoting at times, focusing too much on the fact that this was a book tour. That should not have been Michael Moore's focus when making this movie, unless he just wanted to sell even more books.
July 11, 2013
Michael Moore might be a little too obvious and narcissistic at times but often crafts interesting ideas and makes decent and entertaining documentaries. Except Fahrenheit 9/11.
May 16, 2013
Well my quest to watch every Michael Moore movie ever continues with "The Big One". I really was unsure what the plot of this one was going in all I knew was that it mocked corporate America. It mainly revolves around Michael's book tour for his book "Downsize This!" and the stories he hears about capitalisms plague on America. The film was funny and factual like all of Moore's films. He relentlessly mocks CEO's and the American bourgeois and it is just so hilarious. If you are a Moore fan, this is a forgotten film of his and I would really reccommend watching this one. I might have to buy this one on DVD.
February 5, 2013
Sort of the "lost" Michael Moore flick. I saw this at The New Yorker in London, Ontario, in 1998, when it came out, and loved it. This is Michael Moore's 2nd documentary (after Roger & Me, and before Bowling for Columbine). There is nothing new here, from what you would expect. Mike getting tossed out of buildings, etc. It lacks focus, unlike his other movies. Which makes it his worst, even though it is still worthwhile.
January 22, 2013
My favorite Moore film. Basically a documentary about his book tour. Could be called the companion to his first book.
January 12, 2013
A fair documentary about corporation. It has good points but the film dragged of unnecessary footages of touring, speeches and his book promotion.
½ November 20, 2012
Entertaining Moore film, but not one of his best.
May 28, 2012
Bravely takes on huge firms with sardonic fury, but more focus upon exposè and less upon Moore's standup stylings would be nice.
April 1, 2012
Le retour de MICHAEL MOORE au documentaire est une reussite, un film engage et pourtant incroyablement drole, un road movie au montage irreprochable techniquement mais pas vraiment ideologiquement... THE BIG ONE est un de ces films a ne pas louper. Passionnant.
December 13, 2011
love this guy!! he knows what it's about and how to bring it..
½ October 28, 2011
The politics of filmmaker Michael Moore are very in your face, brash and uninvited. Still, his almost ridiculous obnoxious mannerisms and quirks usually make for a great watch, his grandstanding on public property and plights to meet with big business leaders legendary. His points are usually valid, his demeanor that of a figure with sound mind and researched facts, but I think we can all agree that he chops around what is true to make his documentaries. Instead of the usual narration, statistics, and actual message to bring to the American people, he lets us look at the behind the scenes action on his book tour, crossing America in a haphazard manner. You would think it would be a standard tour, just bringing out the actions of the book, but oh no, that isn't quite dramatic enough for Michael Moore's tastes. Instead he takes on every downsizing corporation in the towns he travels to, including my native capitol, Madison, Wisconsin. The reason I'm perturbed by this film over his other documentaries, is the laissez faire approach, the unknowing to where he's going next, what he's trying to get across, and who is responsible. He has a target, but for every argument he makes against something in his documentaries, there's hardly ever any suggestions to fix it. Here he wants corporations to stop moving jobs overseas, so the alternative is pretty simple. He even meets with unionized bookstores along the way. I enjoyed the comedic aspects, the belaboring care for the people he meets, and the protests of what is moral in this country. It just wasn't a part of the grandiose masterpieces I am used to.
½ August 28, 2011
I am a fan, but he comes across as an ass in this.
August 5, 2011
An older film from Michael Moore but a good one. Had some good funny momments in it. Gotta love how he doesn't back down from anyone.
July 11, 2011
Moore's least cinematic documentary. It focuses on him and his attempts to aggravate CEOs laying people off while making record profits. He's a little more charming than he normally is, but this doesn't carry the weight of his other well known documentaries. I recommend it if you like Michael Moore.
May 22, 2011
I believe this is easily the best Michael Moore movie. He did this as a lark, having his camera crew follow him on a book tour. So, when he spontaneously meets people discussing their battles against Corporate America, it feels real. Plus, Moore's self-deprecating humor goes a long way to making this an ingratiating documentary!
March 7, 2011
So Michale Moore was out on a book tour. Knowing him, thats not the only thing he will stick to when he is on a Pan America journey. At his greedy corporate's bashing best, Moore's stand up capabilities can be compared with George Carlin's.