Big Star: Nothing Can Hurt Me - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Big Star: Nothing Can Hurt Me Reviews

April 18, 2016
Very well-made documentary of an influential band that received its due later in life. Being a Big Star fan, I thoroughly enjoyed this film about one of the best bands that no one heard of.
September 2, 2015
I have to admit that I had no history in hearing of Big Star or their work but I am glad for the opportunity to have seen this documentary and been educated about them. Their influence is widespread within the community if not with the public in general. Something to consider for your record collection.
August 20, 2015
The film's core achievement is not in its nostalgia for a time rock critics fetishize, but in conveying the sense of loss of the sublime. Which is what Big Star, and especially the group's architect, Chris Bell, provided to listeners.
July 8, 2015
Though all the information is present, this doesn't feel like a particularly illuminating documentary.
June 14, 2015
Excellent documentary about one of the most underrated rock bands that may as well be responsible for the beginning of alternative rock.
½ December 31, 2014
Fascinating documentary of the little known band who made some of the best albums of the 70s but never were able to break through. Goes through the full history of the band and its members. Definitely a sad tale at times but begs the question how would commercial success have changed things. Maybe for the better but maybe not.
December 10, 2014
Making new fans, and inspiring original fans. A well made doc.
September 19, 2014
a tribute to an amazing band all the music geeks who love them!
½ September 15, 2014
"Big Star: Nothing Can Hurt Me" beneficia bastante do facto da banda em causa ter um percurso rico em personalidades fortes e episódios míticos, além de que a sua ligação à cidade de Memphis (terra do Elvis e da Stax) faz com que o interesse do rockumentary esteja praticamente assegurado. Isto porque a abordagem de Drew DeNicola não é particularmente original e a sua equipa de edição também podia ter dado umas quantas tesouradas a mais no documentário. Mas, para todos os efeitos,"Big Star: Nothing Can Hurt Me" trata de uma banda que, com três fabulosos discos, merece o estatuto sagrado que lhes foi atribuído por dezenas bandas de rock alternativo (a maioria delas britânicas). Isso não é coisa pouca. Agrada-me também que Alex Chilton e Chris Bell (os dois polos criativos de Big Star) sejam considerados equilibradamente em termos de admiração e importância. O Chilton tem a transversalidade nos Big Star, mas o Bell tem o mais perfeito single que esta árvore deu ("I am the Cosmos" / "You and Your Sister").
July 6, 2014
I enjoyed this. Though I feel like the film dragged a little in the middle.
½ June 8, 2014
April 16, 2014
I'm not sure how much this documentary would appeal (or at times even make sense) to people who don't already like Big Star, but it also seems like maybe it should be required viewing for anyone who has listened to pop/rock music from the last 40 years.
March 23, 2014
An interesting documentary however I think it will only interest fans of the band to begin with.
February 23, 2014
damn good film. riveting. the music is amazing.
February 13, 2014
Especially the last part.
January 29, 2014
I first heard Big Star's 'Radio City' and '#1 Record' fifteen years ago and fell in love with them instantly. This a good documentary but if you have read about the band there is nothing really knew here.
½ January 25, 2014
Interesting. Sad. Inspiring. Beautiful. Whether you're a long-time fan of Big Star, or someone who has just discovered their music, this documentary is powerful and moving. It shows the heart, soul, mind and flesh of the people who created this extraordinary music. Like many unique more, you either "get" Big Star or you don't. You either feel something profound, or dismiss them as just another 70's rock group. Art is subjective.Big Star's influence reached from obscurity to guide the hands of music's most acclaimed artists, and their body of work speaks volumes to their fans. As a band--as people--they have nothing left to prove.
January 24, 2014
a very solid documentary that I wouldn't have cared one whit about if not for the good folks at record service in Urbana in the early 90's. you guys know who you are. the doc does a great job of relating the frustration of sitting atop something remarkable that nobody wanted at the time. also some great insights into the music biz of the era.
January 11, 2014
Now streaming on Netflix!!
January 10, 2014
Watched this over the weekend and I don't know it's possible not to love Big Star after seeing it. It was one of those bands that the bands I like always cited as an influence and it's a shame it took me this long to be exposed to them. Streaming on Netflix.