Big Star: Nothing Can Hurt Me Reviews

July 4, 2013
I have to admit that I had no history in hearing of Big Star or their work but I am glad for the opportunity to have seen this documentary and been educated about them. Their influence is widespread within the community if not with the public in general. Something to consider for your record collection.
July 1, 2013
The film's core achievement is not in its nostalgia for a time rock critics fetishize, but in conveying the sense of loss of the sublime. Which is what Big Star, and especially the group's architect, Chris Bell, provided to listeners.
June 14, 2015
Excellent documentary about one of the most underrated rock bands that may as well be responsible for the beginning of alternative rock.
September 19, 2014
a tribute to an amazing band all the music geeks who love them!
½ September 15, 2014
"Big Star: Nothing Can Hurt Me" beneficia bastante do facto da banda em causa ter um percurso rico em personalidades fortes e episódios míticos, além de que a sua ligação à cidade de Memphis (terra do Elvis e da Stax) faz com que o interesse do rockumentary esteja praticamente assegurado. Isto porque a abordagem de Drew DeNicola não é particularmente original e a sua equipa de edição também podia ter dado umas quantas tesouradas a mais no documentário. Mas, para todos os efeitos,"Big Star: Nothing Can Hurt Me" trata de uma banda que, com três fabulosos discos, merece o estatuto sagrado que lhes foi atribuído por dezenas bandas de rock alternativo (a maioria delas britânicas). Isso não é coisa pouca. Agrada-me também que Alex Chilton e Chris Bell (os dois polos criativos de Big Star) sejam considerados equilibradamente em termos de admiração e importância. O Chilton tem a transversalidade nos Big Star, mas o Bell tem o mais perfeito single que esta árvore deu ("I am the Cosmos" / "You and Your Sister").
½ June 8, 2014
½ May 31, 2013
Interesting. Sad. Inspiring. Beautiful. Whether you're a long-time fan of Big Star, or someone who has just discovered their music, this documentary is powerful and moving. It shows the heart, soul, mind and flesh of the people who created this extraordinary music. Like many unique more, you either "get" Big Star or you don't. You either feel something profound, or dismiss them as just another 70's rock group. Art is subjective.Big Star's influence reached from obscurity to guide the hands of music's most acclaimed artists, and their body of work speaks volumes to their fans. As a band--as people--they have nothing left to prove.
January 11, 2014
Now streaming on Netflix!!
January 10, 2014
Watched this over the weekend and I don't know it's possible not to love Big Star after seeing it. It was one of those bands that the bands I like always cited as an influence and it's a shame it took me this long to be exposed to them. Streaming on Netflix.
January 9, 2014
"Pain transformed into beauty." Nothing like a perfect music documentary to make you simultaneously leave a five-star review while wanting to kill yourself.
November 20, 2013
A beautifully well-crafted love letter to this once hidden gem of a band.
½ December 23, 2013
suffers from a tired beginning-to-end narrative that lacks any sort of cinematic spark and oddly glosses over what i thought would be the most interesting part of the movie (recording of sister lovers), but it's extremely pleasant and hey, it's a great tribute to one of my favorite bands finally getting their due.
½ October 4, 2013
Humble, authentic, depressing, delightful, humanity.
September 10, 2013
I hope I like this movie as much as like Big Star. At the Plaza on Ponce starting Friday the 13th.
July 29, 2013
Loved it. Those not already in the know will, ironically, not get what the fuss is all about, as is typical of anything with Big Star's name attached to it. Those who are will understand that this film exists for the sole reason that it deserved to be made.
July 24, 2013
Is it showing in Salt Lake City, July 24, 2013
July 12, 2013
I'm not part of this band's apparently large and devoted following, just a fan of music and documentaries, so this held my interest. However, it had a lot of different "talking heads" in it and I got a bit lost at one point as to which of the the main two band members' friends or producers was talking. I wasn't blown away by any particular song this band recorded, but I did end up ordering a copy of The Box Tops Greatest Hits. He sure had a sexy voice for a kid when he sang lead on "The Letter" and "Cry Like a Baby". The people in this movie keep saying it's a mystery why Big Star didn't become big stars; in that era didn't they always need a hit single? Did they ever get one? Seems to me a great band without a radio hit in that era was doomed to the bargain bins; tough business then, even tougher now...
July 6, 2013
A diary that captures the magical, beautiful pain of Big Star's story.
July 2, 2013
I Don't Like Documentary Films.
July 1, 2013