Big Wednesday - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Big Wednesday Reviews

January 11, 2011
Nostalgic, bittersweet surfer movie about growing up
½ August 10, 2010
Top Movie!!! critics??? bleah!!! only bla bla bla...friendship,faith,pride and courage...big wednesday!!!
May 6, 2010
How many series Airwolf?
April 24, 2010
Great nostalgic story about the sunny and carefree days of youth, then about growing up and reaching maturity.
March 4, 2010
Typical coming of age nostalgia film elevated by a compelling look at surfer culture and that crazy Gary Busey.
February 25, 2010
John Milius is very much underated as a director and along with The Wind and The Lion this is one of his best films.

Tracing the story of three friends over a twelve year period the film is packed with memorable moments including a massive brawl in a house,a trip to Mexico ,a draught dodging exercise and of course the final surfing sequence which is one of the most beautiful things ever shot.

The three leads are all great and the film is packed with great acting.

The film was a huge flop on release but is now quite rightly regaded as one of the best films of the era and unlike George Lucas's rahter icky American Graffiti has stood the test or time really well.

Even if you dont like surfing the films has lots going for it trust me
January 24, 2010
one of the best buddy-movies about growing up. here you have everything: surfing, girls, fights, trips to mexico, avoiding draft, war heroes. even if milius' attitudes can be questioned, his style can't.
½ January 1, 2010
this was a Golden great movie i saw as kids.. with mates, we would laugh and call it 'big what-ever day it was' when the surf was good that day.

Released way befor my time for a premier(I'm not tht old lol) screening it was so kinda korny it was much more a comedy for us than when it was new i'm sure. The only thing we could aspire to from it (cuz we were pretty good grommies hitting everything quite hard) was being able to drink that much piss and not drown in it lol like hendrix did rip hehe
½ December 24, 2009
I still need to see more surfer movies, but as of now, Big Wednesday has some of the best surfing footage I have ever seen. The camera actually goes inside the wave as it topples over. The last few minutes of the film were just outstanding as we see these three friends surf together for the last time. My only issue is with the script which gets overly sentimental in parts, but aside from that, Big Wednesday is a breathtaking surfer movie.
½ November 12, 2009
Excellent surf movie, stuffs films like point break. Cult movie probably getting old as we used to watch it all the time some 25 years ago
November 3, 2009
I went to see it at the movies with my friends (in Italy) when it first came out - we thought it was great! Wouldn't mind seeing it again, (not dubbed in Italian this time) - around the same time we went to see Warriors which I saw again on TV a couple of months ago.
November 2, 2009
In terms of movie-making, you could rip this film to shreds, but in terms of the raw elements of male bonding and enduring friendship that this film manages to capture, along with some of the mythical elements of the elusive 'search for the killer break', Big Wednesday is a winner. It has also held up well over time... offering both a nostalgic look back, and an effective and affecting 'slice of surf life' circa 1960s to 1970s.
October 26, 2009
Watching this, 31 years after its release, I ask: "What were the critics complaining about?" If you want to have a taste of what it's like to surf with your pals, dodge the draft, and maybe grow up a little, enjoy the story and the surf cinematography that was before its time. This isn't a pop bubblegum beach movie; it's a classic surf film with character, loved by many surfers.
October 8, 2009
surf classic!!!! You can't get a better film.....Shack to the max and keep the stoke alive!
September 26, 2009
swesome all time favourite
½ September 25, 2009
This was a good movie to watch.
September 23, 2009
this was almost as good as riding gaints. but is always worth the veiwing.
September 20, 2009
A radical look at the 60s surf world in Cali. It was also a coming of age film that slowed down during character building scenes but amped up during the surf scenes. A dated but neat movie to check out.
½ April 8, 2009
Excellent film, pre-Deer Hunter-like. Structure is good and I liked it, but it's definitely not one of the best films I've ever watched.