Big Words - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Big Words Reviews

November 12, 2015
Am I coming with you or You taking me?
½ February 15, 2015
Unique physique.

John, James, and Malik used to be part of a semi-successful rap group in New York in the 90s. Unfortunately, their internal arguments left the band disbanded. Their love for the industry has held up their lives in different ways, some emotionally, some professionally, and some both. When Obama is elected into office, hope arises within the African American culture and some feel this should inspire them to reunite. Will the group get back together or decide it is time to fully move on?

"I always thought of Ice Cube as a cute, angry little bear."

Neil Drumming, director of the short film Hi Res, delivers Big Words in his directorial debut. The storyline for this picture is just okay, as are the character interactions and script. The DJ's character was funny and entertaining at times, but the film is pretty average. The cast includes Dorian Missick, Gbenga Akinnagbe, Darien Sills-Evans, and Yaya DeCosta.

"The black man is God, but the black man is also the sun."

I grabbed this off Netflix because it looked like a unique independent film for the genre so I gave it a shot. This is a fairly straightforward movie with some interesting situations that the characters are put in. Overall, this is pretty average but worth a viewing. I'd watch this film once, as it does stimulate some thoughts for those in that situation, but this isn't worth adding to your DVD collection.

"I didn't vote."

Grade: C
March 22, 2014
Few good scenes but couldn't make it's mind up on story, election reference was minimal.
January 25, 2014
Full of ideas on art, politics, relationships, and the construction of identity, it's that rare film in which black characters aren't amped-up caricatures.