Chris Rock: Bigger & Blacker - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Chris Rock: Bigger & Blacker Reviews

½ June 16, 2010
Chris Rock: I have a like-hate relationship with him. Is he just angry with a big smile?

I tried to like him. Really. I enjoyed and gave his HBO special "[color=palegreen]Chris Rock: Bigger & Blacker[/color]" a chance. And I took it for what it's worth. And I liked it. Yeah, I was sitting there thinking, naw, that's not funny... then I'd be laughing hysterically at stuff. So yeah, it was okay. I guess. I told my fella's to check it out... so yeah... I liked it.

Then I sat through "[color=palegreen]Chris Rock: Never Scared[/color]"... And I was thinking, naw, that's not funny at all... then I'd be laughing... but not so hysterically as I did in "Bigger & Blacker". And the reason... CR just seemed so much more angry in this one. That's his thing. ANGER. Or is it? Am I not understanding him? Give me [color=orange]Jammie Foxx[/color] or one of the [color=orange]Wayan Bros[/color] on stage or [color=orange]Tim Alan[/color] in his hey-day, or [color=orange]Richard Jenni[/color]...[color=orange] DL Hughley's[/color] stand up is fricken awesome. Those guys are funny.

So what is it with CR? The audience laughs because it's Chris Rock. They [color=orange][b]weren't[/b][/color] rollin' like they do when [color=orange]Martin Lawrence[/color] is on stage. This special seemed like he wrote the jokes four years ago and couldn't fit it in his Bigger & Blacker special so he did another.

Then I heard he's hosting the [color=yellow]Academy Awards[/color]. Now, think about it. Chris Rock ain't funny without the mouth. Is he? He ain't funny without being politically incorrect. How is he going to get away with skirting under the FCC if he's gonna host? If this network isn't running now, they'll be running after the awards. Running from all the stick-up-the-butt uptight mothers who need to say something for their 15 minutes of whatever.

I don't want to be sitting through a bunch of bleeps.

Granted, Chris Rock does what he does. And I respect him for that whether I like him or not. But he's not going to be Chris Rock if he's hosting the awards. He's gonna be watered down and it'll just make him NOT LIKE HIM somemore.

Bring back [color=orange]Billy[/color]. Get [color=orange]Garry Marshal[/color] to do it. At least [color=orange]Jim Carrey[/color] doesn't need to be so foul to be funny.

Now the like...

[color=orange]Adam Sandler[/color] and [color=orange]Chris Rock[/color] were on ESPN Radio with [color=orange]Dan Patrick[/color] last week. And yeah, CR was being CR as much as he could [color=plum][i]without getting FCC'd off the airways[/i][/color]. [b][u][i][color=purple](Note: We need to get rid of the FCC!)[/color][/i][/u][/b] Some 'off color' comments were edgy... but damn funny. So maybe he's okay off the cuff... but on the stage. Not so funny. And knowing he and Sandler were friends for a long time was kinda neat to know. Especially when Sandler called on CR to co-star in THE LONGEST YARD.

So the bottom line. Chris Rock has his moments. But I can't foresee him gaining any more 'moments' by hosting the award show. Well, maybe the moments will come in controversy. I'm surprised he even accepted the job.

Needless to say, it'll be interesting. And by, god... one reason I want to watch it this year is because of CR... Liking him or hating him, it'll be very interesting to see.

One thing for sure... At least it's not Gary Seinfeld hosting the show. We'd all get angry. Just like Chris Rock.
½ May 30, 2010
Rock being himself, he is incredibly funny, but also incredibly crude and offensive, so that loses him some stars, but the gun and bullet bit is one of his best routines ever.
½ April 9, 2010
meika on tainnu ajaa itteni nurkkaan naiden stand-uppia arvioinneissa. talle ois ehka oikea arvosana varsinkin nain toisella katselulla 3 tahtea, mutta oon antanu huonomille 3 ja samantasoisille 3 ja puoli niin pysytaan sitten aikoinaan asetetuilla normeilla. liian helposti ovat saaneet tahtia, muttei jaksa alkaa kaikkia korjaamaankaan.
½ February 18, 2010
remember this shit? too effin funny.
January 13, 2010
Brilliance. Chris Rock's routine was backed by great ideas and tons of truth. I was cheering him on right with the audience. He did not hold back at all, which really enhanced his routine. You could tell he wasn't just trying to be edgy, but to be truthful. This is a prime example of how intelligent ideas and comedic delivery combine and create an extraordinary performance.
½ November 28, 2009
Chris Rock is very funny.
½ August 19, 2009
hilarious and bang on with nearly everything he says which is what makes it so hilarious
April 29, 2009
Q. Whats 4+4?

A. Jello
shesdownbytheriver
½ April 25, 2009
When acting in movies - He's awfully funny.
But live stand up? Nah
½ March 15, 2009
Pretty funny. Chris Rock is always good for laughs.
March 5, 2009
No hay mejor mejor stand up comedian que el aw..
½ March 5, 2009
LOVE CHRIS SENSE OF HUMOR
March 2, 2009
A stand up classic. Short, sweet, and hilarious.
January 25, 2009
It's been ten years... time to upgrade this one to "classic" status.
½ December 8, 2008
Evidence that Chris Rock is among the top handful of stand-up comedians on the planet. Often near the knuckle and controversial - he's nevertheless usually spot on with his observations.
November 9, 2008
Review will be written when/if re-watched (Probability: Low).

First viewing: 12.08.2002
October 20, 2008
I have seen this more than 20 times.
October 15, 2008
Yes there were some funny parts but it was really rather RUDE!!!!!
½ September 10, 2008
Pretty good set, but not his best. Never Scared was better and Rock looked more relaxed.