Billu - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Billu Reviews

April 11, 2016
The best part about this film were the songs!
½ April 11, 2016
This is sort of fun, if you like Shahrukh. It is not brilliant, though Irfan's performance as Billu is wonderful. There just is not enough plot here for the movie to be great.
½ April 11, 2016
One of the best parts about my 2009 Film Review project is getting to see movies that I would normally not see for fear that they would not interest me or that they would bore me to tears. So far there has only been one movie that has really bored me and that was Friday the 13th. There have been other movies I didn?t like, but I was not really bored. I was not expecting much from Billu. I unfairly judged it because it was a Hindi or a Bollywood film. I have this preconceived notion that Bollywood films are subpar. To be perfectly honest, it is not fair of me to judge them since I have never really seen any Bollywood movies. It is mostly my own experience with Puerto Rican cinema that has made me judge foreign films. I?ve seen some terrible Puerto Rican movies and TV shows and I assume that anything that is produced outside of the States is going to have that same poor quality. I really need to rethink that, because it isn?t true at all.

I loved this film. Billu was really funny and I enjoyed every minute of it. I had to watch it a couple of times because I had trouble reading the subtitles. I am a slow reader and in combination with how fast the actors spoke, the subtitles were on the screen for a fraction of a second at times. However, after a good night?s rest, I watched the movie a second time a bit more carefully and I was able to follow along a bit better.

Billu is a simple story. It is about a barber in India who is struggling to pay his bills. The movie starts out with him writing a letter to a loan officer begging him to lend him some money so that he can make some upgrades to his shop. He explains that he has a barber chair that is really old and is falling apart. He goes on to describe a lot more items in his shop that need replacing. However, Billu doesn?t get his loan so he is forced to deal with his current situation, but things are about to change for him.

The village where Billu lives has been chosen for a Bollywood film project. So naturally the entire village goes nuts, everyone is so excited that their village will be featured in a movie, especially when their favorite Bollywood star, Sahir Khan, will be the hero in the movie. The whole village bends over backwards to make sure that Sahir is comfortable. They wanted him to have a good experience in their village. Of course everyone wants to meet Sahir in person and they will stop at nothing to try to get to meet him, however, no one can. After all he is a movie star and security is really tight around him. However, Billu tells his kids that he knows Sahir from when he was young. The next day, the kids tell their friends, who tell their parents and within hours everyone in the village is aware that Billu knows Sahir.

From that point on, Billu becomes a local celebrity himself. His business picks up, people buy him a new chair and new equipment; he is treated like royalty. However, everyone just wanted one thing. They all want the chance to meet Sahir. They thought if they are nice to Billu, he would make their dreams of meeting Sahir come true. Nevertheless, it had been a long time ago since he last talked to Sahir and he didn?t even know if he would remember him. Despite his refusals, people encouraged him to at least try and contact him, but every attempt of his to talk to him failed and slowly people started to get frustrated with him. Eventually, they even labeled him as a liar.

The movie is beautifully shot. The entire opening sequences were stunning. I am sure that they must have film awards in India; this movie deserves a cinematography award based just on that opening scene alone. It is also very, very funny and the characters were very lovable. The story is a little hokey, but still within acceptable parameters for a comedy. As with any Bollywood film there are a number of dance sequences in the film. I have nothing to compare it to, but I loved what I saw. The music was very fun to listen to and the choreography was visually stimulating. If you are looking to watch something fun and different, you will not be disappointed with Billu.
April 11, 2016
Save youself the torture. This movie is 2 hours flushed down the drain. The movie is quite slow, and nothing seems to happen. super boring !
½ April 11, 2016
The Movie is based on a Village barber how is just not able to earn his and his family living.
there is a Big movie start coming to this barber village for shooting and the barber told that the Movie star is his childhood friend and the things around him start changing.
if i have to rate the movie in terms of acting 6/10.
There are many flaws like village is not looking like a actual village some scene are not not required
story is not that good that will bind the person.
overall 5 out of 10.
one time watchable.
April 11, 2016
:down: not in for good movies. do not waste your money at this thrash film. especially kids.
½ April 11, 2016

Billu looks like just another addition to the boring and at times iritating Priyadarshan saga. I find it hard to believe that this is the same guy who gave us classics like hera pheri.

Moving on, billu is a movie for two types of audiences. First, the die hard SRK fans (like me) and second, those who do not have anything better to do with their time. Having said that, the movie does has its high points as well. Top of the list will be irfaan?s character and his performance. The director has managed to pull off some pretty hilariuos as well as emotional scenes well. The songs are too bad and too many. I wish someone would have told the producers that casting gorgeous women does not make a song nice or hit or anything even remotely close. The story is absurd and the most absurd part of this saga is the closing where SRk leaves with ahumble suggestion to Billu about moving back to his own village (God, what was the director thinking).

In a nutshell, the ?movie buff? gives it a rating of 1.5 on 5 (which means totally avoidable)

½ April 11, 2016
Touchs your heart and is a great film
loved it!

well written! with absolutely amazing comic timing! (if Hindi is not ur language it might not work for u)

irrfan in league with de stalwarts carried this movie...
sharukh is sharukh!

½ April 11, 2016
Kind of annoying until the end where everything comes together and that's where it pays off with the emotion and feel good ending everyone wants. I love Irfan Khan and Shahrukh Khan, however there are just a few constant obnoxious problems to be dealt with, which kind of hampers the experience.
April 11, 2016
The best part about this film were the songs!
April 11, 2016
another disappointing Bollywood on the airplane.
Though set in a village all the dancing was cheesy modern stuff (and totally stole from other movies). The plot was extremely slow and boring and totally contrived. But yay it ended happily.
½ November 29, 2015
Without the few hit songs, there is really nothing to see here.
September 29, 2012
a good average movie. and a very nice story
½ June 21, 2011
A little better than average Bollywood...complete with the constant strangely placed, singing and dancing videos. Nice story, though.
March 27, 2011
SRK may be playing and producing himself here, but you never get the feeling that this movie is all about him. Irrfan Khan is an amazing, underrated actor in both Indian and American films, and I was very happy to see him here, in all his quiet, heartfelt glory.

The songs are good, production is very good, but the story drags a bit in the middle. The movie finishes with a bang, however. If you don't like cheesy endings, you might not like it, but I soaked it up.
½ January 6, 2011
Wow, a perfectly good story, good main character almost completely ruined by the producer and guest star of the film-Shahrukh Khan. His scenes and his dance songs seem so out of place with the rest of the film. I dare ask, what was the point of putting him in the film in the first place? I guess to make sure people actually see this film..I mean who is going to want to see a simple, well made film with a humanistic story lead by character actors? So, let's throw some songs and SRK into the mix! Well, I guess there's my answer! And even worst...they made SRK pretty much play himself or at least the public image of what he is. This God-like superstar that everyone is crazy about. It was annoying to see the story go from about Billu and his struggles to about SRK and how everyone is begging to see him and what a big star he is blah blah blah. And even more groan-inducing is how then they had to show how even though superstar's are considered these God-like creatures--they are still normal human beings blah blah. LOL..all this just seemed out of place with what the film started out to be. A story about a simple man trying to survive. The film still did manage to be funny and sweet, but mostly because of the cast. Irfan Khan is really good in this film, had it been produced by someone else less interested in their image perhaps we would have had a much better film because for the most part-they had all the right ingredients just messed things up in the end!
November 19, 2010
Half good. Half ridiculous. Enjoyable watching though.
September 6, 2010
An interesting movie that centralizes on a family man, whose also a local barber, in a small country village. Trying to make ends meet, Billu tries to upscale his barber shop. When a movie is to be made in their area, Billu realizes that an old childhood friend will soon arrive.
Great cast- Irfan Khan, Lara Dutta, Rajpal Yadav, Om Puri, Mitali Mayakar, Pratik Dalvi, and Shahrukh Khan. Worthy!
½ August 11, 2010
A nice little film about how a superstar's arrival transforms a village's life. Irfan Khan, as the down-on-his-luck barber, is both funny and sad. SRK is, for the purpose of this film, himself. We see more of him doing nonsensical song and dance numbers in the films-within-the-film than in the film itself. Billu could, in my opinion, use a bit more of SRK the actor and a lot less of item-songs. it was different and pretty slow and boring at times.