Bi-mong (Dream) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bi-mong (Dream) Reviews

May 1, 2010
Diferente. La premisa es muy buena, al tratarse de dos personas que están unidas por sus sueños, literalmente las cosas que sueñan mientras duermen. Lo que el hombre sueña, la mujer lo recrea sonámbula. Las actuaciones y dirección son muy buenas. El problema recae en la forma de tratar la idea, ya que el problema que tienen, podría tener numerosas soluciones y no llegar a ser tan grave como sucede. El final me gustó, muy esotérico pero reconozco que pudo no ser tan trágico y cambiar logrando una solución feliz.
½ March 31, 2010
I started off thinking ooh interesting film, ooh good actors, ooh funny funny... then... not so funny - weird, bizarre, freaky, horrific - ended up covering my eyes. I like the unconventional but here I was just like: Why Not Fall In Love And End This Folly. The stars are for the beautiful set and shots, symbolism and for the fact that our 'hero' started off looking quite dapper.
March 28, 2010
Frankly, I am more than a little conflicted on how to grade this. Just like the other reviews I came across, it is a little divisive, and I feel both rather strongly. There are parts of the movie that I absolutely love and some I rather the film do without... All in all, it is a film that I thoroughly enjoyed, grating bits included.

*Viewers who find this a hard pill to swallow: You kind of have to look at it allegorically, rather than literally. And it helps if you are familiar with the butterfly and dream motif in Asian philosophical terms. You have to view it as one big dream sequence, rather than your usual realistic sensibilities.

*After more thought: I think even the parts that I found not to my initial liking should remained as is. They might have grated but they served the purpose that they have been allocated.

*Someone also alerted me to the Zhuang Zhou and butterfly tale and I guess that being a very important and famous story, should have played an important part in Kim Ki Duk's crafting of the story.
½ March 27, 2010
Le point de départ du nouveau Kim Ki Duk est intriguant comme un bon roman d?? Haruki Murakami (Un homme découvre qu??un accident identique à celui dont il a rêvé a bien eu lieu dans la réalité. Une femme est accusée mais elle nie, prétextant dormir au moment de l??accident), mais le développement est plombé par du symbolisme lourdingue. Elisabeth Quin va adorer.
December 19, 2009
jo odagiri is a good actor.loved his comic faces (or rather like masks?) trying not to sleep. on the other hand, the korean actress reminded me of some other korean horror...
funny to listen their diaglogue - jo kept speaking in japanese while others spoke in korean.
strange but beautiful, somehow like french movie. i liked colours and shots...not so much into the story itself though...
December 6, 2009
it was a very good film. and the story goes on so good. but the end is not that good. just so easy. i expected something bigger. but i liked it
November 30, 2009
Interesting concept to expound upon, but its development is frivolous and the implications of the situation are not wisely carried out. The muse of the script, the meditated plot and the coherence even within the fantasy are conspicuous by their absence.
½ November 11, 2009
maa maa, bit disappointing, beautiful cinematography though
October 24, 2009
Kim Ki-Duk's mash-up of dreams, reality and sleep walking comes across only as a very typical KKD film. Even the final sequence is an ode to 3 Iron, one of his most famous works!
September 26, 2009
pretty disappointing for KKD. the bilingual touch was interesting and there were some beautiful scenes but i lost interest halfway thru.
½ September 15, 2009
aunque no es la mejor pelicula de kim ki duk , como siempre algo sorprendente, espiritual e inesperado
½ September 8, 2009
profound story.....beautiful picture, out of control !
August 29, 2009
Pls show in Thailand
July 19, 2009
Se der tempo, vejo este ainda hoje.
½ July 13, 2009
Very unusual, unique and dark. Not terribly likable or relatable characters, but watching their living/dreaming reality unfold is captivating in a schadenfreude sort of way. Just two selfish creatures grappling with their intertwined realities, attempting to coexist and not doing such a great job of it.
July 11, 2009
One of my favorite from director Kim Ki-Duk. Odagiri is very good as the only japanese speaking character in the whole film!
June 26, 2009
This film didn't resonate with me. I was never given a chance to understand the characters the way his passed films like 3-Iron; Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...and Spring; and even Time allowed me to. Because I couldn't understand the characters, I couldn't understand the twists and turns this film provided. It was a complete mess. Unfortunately, Dream (marked as Kim's 15th film to date) was a bit of a let down.
May 17, 2009
Quien va a ver una película de Ki Duk ya sabe lo que le espera: pretension poetica a raudales, metaforas que son constantemente explicadas y un guion bastante poco prolijo. Es por esto que "Sueño" no quita ni agrega, solo reafirma las debilidades de un director sobrevalorado, cuya unica gracia es hacer digerible la simbologia oriental a un publico masivo.
En todo caso la película mejora en la segunda mitad. Quien quiera arriesgarse, que se aguante 45 minutos de lo mas basico del cine.
½ May 17, 2009
Para variar, un asco. Personajes de cartonpiedra al servicio de una metafora sobreexplicada al estilo de este director. El mayor misterio en esta, como en la mayoría de los filmes de este director "onírico" y "simbólico" es cómo los espectadores soporta(mos) más de una hora en el universo pretencioso de Kim.