Bio Zombie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bio Zombie Reviews

½ January 30, 2016
A silly and fairly entertaining 90s Japanese mall zombie movie. Was never released on DVD so you'll have to watch it on VHS, which makes it that much more awkward. Both the overdubbing and subtitles are appalling but it adds to its charm. A snapshot of 90s consumerism complete with early video bootlegs, expensive flip phones and game boy cameras.
April 11, 2014
I want a different ending, but other than that it's one of my favorites. The English dub is hilarious.
½ March 15, 2014
Low budget Asian slick talking zombies in mall apocalypse. What more could you ask for. Full on good old campiness!
November 5, 2013
This movie is no masterpiece, but it does have some good writing. The special effects aren't very good, and the camera is a little unsteady at times, but everything else is fine. One thing I like about low budget movies, is they usually make up for the terrible special effects with good characters, good story, few plot holes and other things that Hollywood sometimes forgets to do. It's not the best thing to ever come into existence, but I would recommend it to anybody who wants to see something original; Because it's about as original as you can get with zombies nowadays. (I'm not a professional reviewer. Can you tell?) I'm off to go see if I used these semicolons properly; however, before I go, four stars.
½ October 16, 2013
Mildly amusing zombie horror-comedy complete with the general goofiness and bad acting we've come to expect from asian comedies. A trip down memory lane back to the kinder, simpler times of the late 90s.
June 26, 2013
Wow what a fun Movie. This is a film that knows what it is and stands as an excellent homage to the Romero zombie movies. This film is fun and so lax and plus an ending i didn't expect. If you want a good time but not go out of your way to focus on every frame then this is a good choice.
½ January 31, 2013
Two deadbeat slackers are left to defend the mall after a virulent outbreak transforms the locals in to flesh-eating ghouls in Hong Kong's cult horror comedy, BIOZOMBIE! BIOZOMBIE is immediately impacted by the popular survival horror video games of the mid-90's, frequently breaking the fourth wall as it warning the characters to "Reload" or "Find a Key" with visual cues on screen, while also including character stats as they enter the fray. Unlike in the disastrous HOUSE OF THE DEAD adaptation, this is presented in loving homage and not through distracting breakaways. The influence of George Romero's DAWN OF THE DEAD and American pop culture is clearly present as well, given the mall setting and the tendency towards wry, irreverent humor. Director Wilson Yip feels no need to rush in to the zombie outbreak, and allows plenty of time for comedic actors Jordan Chan and Sam Lee to win the audience over with their playful misbehaving. Once the virus overtakes the mall, however, there is a steady stream of bloody action and slapstick as our small band of heroes hack and slash their way to safety. Japan would capitalize on this same trend in WILD ZERO, VERSUS, and JUNK before America saw its own major zombie resurgence in the early 2000's beginning with RESIDENT EVIL, 28 DAYS LATER, and the DAWN OF THE DEAD remake.
December 7, 2012
Want to see it! Will have to take into account!
½ September 17, 2012
Slapdash "comedy" will probably appeal to somebody.
May 1, 2012
Highly forgettable zom/com. "Bio Zombie" features a poorly structured tired plot, awful creature makeup, terrible special effects, lame gags, and sub par dubbing. There are no redeeming qualities to this movie; it's not even a shot and beer movie! I can't condone viewing this film in any state, intoxicated or otherwise.

At best, this attempts to be "Dawn of the Dead" meets "Return of the Living Dead" but fails in every respect. There are far better zombie films out there. Do yourself a favor and avoid this Chinese turd.
½ April 11, 2012
Bio Zombie is a Chinese comedy/horror that focuses more on the comedy as it tells the story of two hustlers who work at a video store at a mall who become trapped inside with a pack of flesh eating zombies. The goofy humor becomes tiresome quickly and the characters both main and supporting are annoying. The two leads are unsympathetic as they are thieves and hustlers and they are also loosely responsible for the outbreak when they run over a military officer carrying a zombie making formula and then give him some to try to revive him. (in Their defense it is, for some reason, stored in a soda bottle). Once the zombies start to infultrate the mall, they are trapped inside with some other characters and the film basically focuses on the comic character interaction with some occasional zombie attacks here and there. It's not till the last ten minutes when we see more then 3 zombies and things turn somewhat serious, then the film basically ends with a headscratching conclusion. There is some OK gore but, nothing worth watching for and, as stated, the film has a lot of goofy humor and annoying characters with zero suspense or scares. Has a bit of a cult reputation and I can't figure out why. Totally forgettable.
March 30, 2012
If I remember it's by the same guys who did versus, and I love that movie. I wish I could remember who I loaned that movie too.
½ January 14, 2012
Its so funny!! But why is it in anime? Its not an anime
September 1, 2011
An early Asian iteration of the zom-com subgenre. It certainly accomplishes everything it seeks to do within its narrow scope.
June 19, 2011
Two slackers start a zombie outbreak. Silly dubbing. It's hard to feel anything for those douchebags.
May 23, 2011
DAWN OF THE DEAD meets BILL AND TED meets DEAD ALIVE, probably the best combination for a zombie movie. A funny as hell gore fest worth checking out for the most die hard fan of zombie or asian horror movies.
April 8, 2011
Oh dear. Low budget with atrocious acting and the worst make up job ever. This was made in the late nineties but its like the eighties never happened. Set in a shopping mall from which the characters almost never leave this is a claustrophobic nightmare that just isn't even funny. If it wasn't for a quite sweet affecting end this would be one star sclock
November 8, 2010
Perhaps, as with many Hong Kong features, some of the comedic subtlety might be lost in translation, but this low-budget zombie movie falls short of a recommendation, even though it contains a few laughs and a decent cast.
September 30, 2010
Amazing movie if you can appreciate the humor. Good concept and characters are fantastic.
September 25, 2010
A low-budget Asian horror film. Mildly entertaining and surprisingly funny.