Bio Zombie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bio Zombie Reviews

August 13, 2010
So great! Terrible but awesome. Characters are great, some of those horrible guys you actually feel sympathy for. I don't know if it was with my version only, but the English dub is the greatest ever. Yes! This I'm gonna see again.
½ August 3, 2010
If you're expecting a zombie film with the sophistication, polish, and craft of a George A. Romero feature, then you will most likely come away from Bio Zombie (1998, Wilson Yip) feeling underwhelmed or disappointed. Tom Savini wasn't responsible for the squibs, and hundreds of locals weren't flocked in to all come and play the undead. This is a small scale production, relying on humorous dialogue and likable characters to engage its audiences.
June 16, 2010
Best zombie flick ever. 2 guys working in a vcd bootleg shop who get caught up in a government experiment gone wrong.
June 13, 2010
A funny and entertaining Asian horror comedy that combines Romero's "Dawn Of The Dead" with "Bill and Ted". A brillaint mix of zombie horror with laughs thrown in. Woody and Buzz are just friggin' awesome.
June 1, 2010
This movie is an attempt by Japan to catch the magic of Dawn of the Dead and in that sense it failed. The movie has a lot of stupid humor in it but most of it isn't very funny the few funny scenes are really funny. The movie does add a huge amount of gore to the already gore drenched zombie movies, I mean one guy gets dragged under a car and a second latter a river of blood pours out.

The movie is a cult classic that really doesn't deserve the status it isn't awesome and it moves a little too slow for most viewers. I fast forwarded through a lot of the boreing stuff and not even the good stuff was really worth it.

The two main characters are not really likeable I mean they assault costumers in the bathroom and rob them and they hate the sushi guy. The sushi guy plays a big role in the movie and when he is zombiefied right away lets just say he isn't your average mindless zombie he has priorities.

The movie is a comedy where the viewer won't laugh much except at the accidently funny scenes. The movie kicks into gear with an ending that seems out of place for a movie of this type. This movie is a rental through and through one watch is enough.
June 1, 2010
i bought this movie and i thought that it would be a waste, BUT IT WASNT!!!

a very cute japanese zombie movie!!! very very cute!
zombie josh sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!
½ June 1, 2010
[i]Bio Zombie[/i], using George A. Romero's original [i]Dawn of the Dead[/i] film as the template (i.e., characters holed up inside a shopping mall), and adding liberal doses of humor, rarely disappoints, even though the zombies from the title (all 10-12 of them) don't come out in full force until the one-hour mark of a 90-minute movie.

[i]Bio Zombie[/i] might be low on the gore/splatter quotient (and on outright moments of shock or horror), not to mention make-up effects that are less than impressive (with the exception of some festering postule effects on one of the hapless zombie victims), but it doesn't fall short in the humor/slapstick department. Why? Characters.

With character names like Woody Invincible (Jordan Chan) and Crazy Bee (Sam Lee, whom I've seen in other Hong Kong films, including the underrated [i]Gen-X Cops[/i], aka [i]Metal Mayhem[/i], where he plays a goofball character appropriately called "Alien"), you know that the emphasis will be on comedy in this horror/comedy genre entry. Woody and Crazy Bee are slacker dude types who work at a VCD store, and, not surprisingly, make their own bootlegs VCDs. The movie starts with the characters talking over the movie titles as they sit in a movie theaters, a nod to [i]MST3000[/i], but just as importantly setting the mood and tone for the movie. Our slacker anti-heroes of course rise to the occasion once the zombies attack, but before they do, they spend their time smoking pot, playing video games (believe it or not, they're playing [i]House of the Dead[/i], which, of course, makes them crack marksmen in the [i]Bio Zombie[/i] universe) thinking up scams to make some money, commenting on other mall employees and hitting on beauty salon employees. Once the mall becomes "overrun" with the zombies, the characters go into full panic mode, with only our characters to save the day (and themselves).

[i]Bio Zombie's[/i] tone darkens in the last act, however, as the characters begin to fall prey to the attacking zombies. Even with the darker tone, I didn't expect a last act plot turn that bordered on the poignant. Of course, the movie's last scene more than hints at the plague of zombies spreading beyond the shopping mall, but even there, it's handled with a light touch.

Overall, despite the aforementioned shortage of gore, [i]Bio Zombie[/i] succeeds in developing a solid audience/character connection, and keeps the tone light enough that I can recommend it as good fun, a minor, but still enjoyable addition to the zombie sub-genre. Add a running length that doesn't overstay its welcome, and the end result is a solid 6.5/10 (so let's round it up to a 7/10), ranking it behind the [i]Dawn of the Dead[/i] remake and ahead of [i]Undead[/i], both of which I've seen in the last week.
June 1, 2010
[font=Fixedsys]Bio-Zombie. What a great freaking movie! I loved it! It's funny, it's gory, it has scares, some touching scenes and surprisingly good actors. I loved the two leads. They were funny and a bit obnoxious, but never grating or annoying. My only complaint is that my version did not have English dubbing, so I had to read some very silly subtitles. But then again, they added to the fun, so I can't really complain. Great friggin movie. Dawn of the Dead mixed in with some Return of the Living Dead. Bio-Zombie has everything a horror fan would want in a movie.[/font]

[font=Fixedsys]"I am stooling." :D [/font]
½ June 1, 2010
[b][i][u]Nigth of the Living Dead[/u][/i][/b]: It has an interesting execution, and since I have not seen the original, I hold no prejudice against it. The story was presented well, the ending seemed to fit right into the movie, and at least one of the characters was interesting. The make-up and gore scenes were hadled really well, and overall it was really a good movie. What brought it down was the main lady and a couple of the supporting characters. Annoyance and bad acting were present all around.

[b][i][u]Dark City:[/u][/i][/b] Interesting premise and well executed, yet I dont have an interest in seeing it again.

[b][i][u]Bio-Zombie:[/u][/i][/b] From the kickass characters, to the many memorable scenes, this is a true winner horror-comedy. I liked it enough to compare its characters to the ones in Dog Soldiers in terms of coolness and perfect interaction between them. They grow and mature on screen, which makes the resolution the more interesting. There are plenty of scenes with so much nonsense going on, that you cant help but smile, yet they dont overshadow the genuine tension and creepy moments all over the movie.
April 21, 2010
japans take on dawn of the dead. its funny if your into japans humor
March 23, 2010
One of my top favorites for sure! Bio-Zombie is just friggin' hilarious from beginning to end!!!! Bee and Woody ROCK!!!!
½ February 12, 2010
I still find this film amusing if you understand Chinese Humor and like Zombies check this out.
½ February 8, 2010
This cheap Hong Kong flick can only be described as Dawn of the Dead crossed with Bill & Ted set in The Savoy Centre. The first hour and a quarter is almost zombie free with the main charcters just spending their time getting wasted and laid. Out of the blue, the last 15mins becomes serious and downbeat with zombies aplenty. The writer obviously has the attention span of an episode of The One Show.
½ February 8, 2010
This was not my cup of tea. I suppose it has its moments, but a movie that's "so bad it's good" this is not.