L'uccello dalle piume di cristallo (The Bird With the Crystal Plumage) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

L'uccello dalle piume di cristallo (The Bird With the Crystal Plumage) Reviews

½ February 22, 2016
Argento's debut became a success for a good reason. His first movie shows maturity and eye for the detail and taste for visuals, foreshadowing his directorial traits for the movies that followed after.
½ February 19, 2016
7.2/10
It was actually a pretty good first film from Dario Argento, who clearly has his style that actually works very well. The twist in the end was really good and the whole mystery was entertaining although not exactly interesting throughout the whole movie. But still it was a good movie.
~February 19, 2016~
November 29, 2015
One can never take a Giallo film too seriously. That being said, Argento's directorial debut is pretty damn good. Just go with the sometimes silly plot and enjoy. The geometry, the vibrant palette, the hypersexual violence are all present. The Morricone score is, of course, timeless.
November 11, 2015
Argento's first film. Very well shot and a compelling storyline.
½ September 13, 2015
Another cracking giallo film from Dario Argento. This murder mystery is better than any episode of Taggart dubbed in English.
Seriously the prime suspect for the series of murders in Rome, Italy is not revealed until the very end of the film and it is quite a surprise when they are revealed.
The musical score is excellent. I believe it is the same chap who did the music on Clint Eastwoods spaghetti westerns.
This is an early gem from Argento who went on to direct other classic giallos such as Suspiria.
As always in this genre the cinematography is lush and colourful.
The English dubbing is good considering other films from Italy.
August 5, 2015
Argento starts his love affair with Giallo in fine fashion. This is a prototype for what he would later perfect. A story driven film with very little gore compared to Argento's later work but plenty of signature plot twists.
½ July 19, 2015
Uncommonly violent for its time, Argento's spaghetti slasher thriller shocked and left audiences in awe at the time, but today it feels a lot safer. That being said, even without that element of shock, it's more than serviceable horror fare.
March 30, 2015
Argento's debut. Way above average "Giallo" (not bloody Giallo, it's probably Argento's only work I'd consider showcasing to my grandmum), with Morricone on score and Vittorio (Apocalypse Now) Storaro on DP. Need I say more? Oh yeah, it's a Jack the Ripper type of story.
March 27, 2015
First feature film directed by master Dario Argento in 1970, this film is exceptionally good on every level. suspenseful and well written, the plot takes us on a journey into murder and mysteries with some interesting twists. The camera work is brilliant, the sets pretty fantastic and the colors, texture, lightings are very well combined to give this thriller an Hitchockian aura. This is an excellent film that laid the foundation and the base for the future reputation of Argento as the master of the Giallo.
November 3, 2014
An enjoyable slasher mystery that has all the classic tropes of italian horror cinema: colorful sets, superb soundtrack (by Ennio Morricone of The Good, The Bad & The Ugly fame) and graphic death scenes. It's not as good as his most famous work, Susperia, but there are enough quirks to make it a fun watch. At moments the movie's tone completely shifts into light comedy with oddball characters we meet, including a painter who eats cats and one-liners delivered by transgender criminals. Weird, but funny. The reveal of the murderer at the end is great, but there's a clunky epilogue about psychology to wrap it all up.
August 10, 2014
Dario Argento, the master of the Giallo, is at the Locarno Film Festival to present his debut masterpiece, The Bird with the Crystal Plumage, as part of the festival's epic Titanus retrospective. We're proud to also share this horror classic with the world.
April 29, 2014
Esta es una de las peores pelicula que yo haya visto jamas, lo peor del caso es que en todas partes dicen que es excepcional, esta muy mal actuada, es predecible y la direccion es chapusera, es un insulto a la memoria de Hitchcock que lo comparen con este pela gatos.A evitar a menos que quieran reirse de ella.
February 28, 2014
For his first film, Argento creates a very stylish thriller/giallo that uses suspense rather than gore, the suspense heightened by Ennio Morricone's simple but extremely effective soundtrack. I recommend all horror/giallo fans check this out
February 27, 2014
In his remarkable horror debut, Director Dario Argento presents everything that would become his signature characteristics, from the killer premise to the artful gore.
½ January 28, 2014
Fairly faithful homage to Hitchcock, right up through the somewhat needless exposition at the very end.
January 25, 2014
Suspense, gore, atmosphere and sound is executed flawlessly in Dario Argento's directorial debut. The film perfectly combines everything compelling about the thriller genre and adds a horror-esque flavour to it. Great story, plenty of great set pieces and the trademark black coat wearing killer. A great debut from my personal favourite director.
½ January 18, 2014
Landmark giallo that hasn't aged well. Nice story and innovative directing though.
½ January 14, 2014
It's a decent thriller but the over-the-top acting from the two female leads ruined at least two scenes for me. I don't know whether that was the director or the actress' choice but this was my least favorite Argento film so far.
November 6, 2013
Amazing, Dario Argento's first film great story well shot.