The Birdcage - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Birdcage Reviews

May 6, 2016
Absolutely love this movie
April 29, 2016
The Birdcage is a remake of the French-Italian film named La Cage aux Folles back in 1978, and it stars Robin Williams, Nathan Lane, Gene Hackman, and Dianne West in a comedy film about a gay couple that has to act straight because their son is marrying a senator's daughter who's a conservator, and their parents are coming have dinner with them. I was actually looking forward to the film because director Mike Nichols and writer Elaine May are involved with this film which is their first film collaboration together as they were also a comedy duo back in the 1950s called Nichols and May. So with their film together, this is a hilarious remake. Robin Williams and Nathan Lane are hilarious in this and have great chemistry as a couple. I like how the gays are portrayed that one is obvious, and the other is not so obvious, but they are not in a stereotype way that felt offensive. The writing by Elaine May is well written, and it seems that everybody that is involved with it is having fun. There are tons of jokes that got me laughing a lot, and hoping that the characters get through this as the script gave enough characterization that I find them really likable. The songs by Stephen Sondheim are catchy to listen, and the costumes are really cool that the beginning really fooled me. The Birdcage is a terrific remake that it's a lot of fun to watch, and I would honestly watch it again when I come back to it.
½ April 23, 2016
4/23/2016: An ok movie. An excellent cast, but not overly funny.
April 22, 2016
Simply hilarious, a near-classic; Nathan Lane and Robin Williams play well off each other. Actually, the whole cast is pretty top notch.
½ March 4, 2016
I miss you already Robin Williams.
December 17, 2015
I would love to see the stage play.
December 6, 2015
This is my go-to comedy whenever I need to laugh.

Based on La Cage aux Follies, The Birdcage delivers a nuanced portrayal of a middle-aged drag club owning gay couple playing it straight, while trying to see their heterosexual son through an evening with the most improbable in-laws. The brilliant cast is accentuated by Agador-Sparticus (Azaria), the over-the-top, barefoot, and "loyal houseman", tasked with playing the part of a South Beach butler and chef.

The laughs are near constant as Murphy's Law descends upon the house, and chaos reigns supreme. One of the most quotable films of the 90's where the line, "It's like riding a psychotic horse towards a burning stable" may well summarize the main evening portrayed in the film.

I can't recommend this movie enough. It isn't Shakespeare nor is it Casablanca. but for a simple, silly and good-natured film, you needn't look elsewhere.
November 22, 2015
griping like good ooze
November 8, 2015
The dinner party scene and the toast spreading are both hilarious and Robin Williams and Nathan Lane are brought together in spectacular fashion.
October 18, 2015
Loved it and all the various character roles within the movie!
½ October 16, 2015
Not sure whether this movie was 20 years ahead of its time or whether we are 20 years late.
Either way, one of the better American light films.
½ September 16, 2015
I think this movie was a tad ahead of its time when it first came out. These days this has a much better chance of being liked more. I thought the script was funny and the performances were even funnier! Robin Williams and Nathan Lane give it their best, but I think Hank Azaria stole every scene he was in! This is not for the homophobic crowd, but if you have an open mind, you will most likely enjoy this movie.
August 20, 2015
Hadn't seen this in years. I have been re-watching most robin Williams' films since his passing and will continue to do so. This one feels a bit date, but Nathan Lane is great and this and Williams is good as well making this one worth revisiting!
½ August 14, 2015
Good for a few laughs, but moves at a snail's pace and doesn't have enough jokes to flesh out its lengthy screen time. Nathan Lane's character is a conglomeration of every negative gay stereotype and is cringe-inducing more often than funny.
July 20, 2015
Hilarious and original remake of the French original!
July 18, 2015
Best movie ever in life...
June 7, 2015
Hysterical, and has an important message that isn't condescending.
½ June 7, 2015
A very well-acted film. Does a good job in dealing with a highly sensitive issue. Major props to Lane, Williams (RIP), and Hackman for their fine work here.
½ May 28, 2015
It'd be received differently in terms of the enjoyment and pleasant level when it's just too weird to watch, but the film's generally enjoyable thank to the comedic energy coming from Williams and Lane, while also consisting a nice, well-delivered message. (B)

(Full review coming soon)
½ May 24, 2015
What made sense and was really funny in the 1979 French film feels unbelievable and almost homophobic in 1996. Not only is unbelievable that these gay parents would go along with their son's desire to hide the truth, it is filled with self-loathing that annoys me to this day. Even the skilled comedic performances can't hide the fact that this movie feels like it is stuck in a whole other era unrelated to the mid-1990's.