The Birdcage - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Birdcage Reviews

½ October 16, 2015
Not sure whether this movie was 20 years ahead of its time or whether we are 20 years late.
Either way, one of the better American light films.
½ September 16, 2015
I think this movie was a tad ahead of its time when it first came out. These days this has a much better chance of being liked more. I thought the script was funny and the performances were even funnier! Robin Williams and Nathan Lane give it their best, but I think Hank Azaria stole every scene he was in! This is not for the homophobic crowd, but if you have an open mind, you will most likely enjoy this movie.
August 20, 2015
Hadn't seen this in years. I have been re-watching most robin Williams' films since his passing and will continue to do so. This one feels a bit date, but Nathan Lane is great and this and Williams is good as well making this one worth revisiting!
½ August 14, 2015
Good for a few laughs, but moves at a snail's pace and doesn't have enough jokes to flesh out its lengthy screen time. Nathan Lane's character is a conglomeration of every negative gay stereotype and is cringe-inducing more often than funny.
July 20, 2015
Hilarious and original remake of the French original!
July 18, 2015
Best movie ever in life...
June 7, 2015
Hysterical, and has an important message that isn't condescending.
½ June 7, 2015
A very well-acted film. Does a good job in dealing with a highly sensitive issue. Major props to Lane, Williams (RIP), and Hackman for their fine work here.
½ May 28, 2015
It'd be received differently in terms of the enjoyment and pleasant level when it's just too weird to watch, but the film's generally enjoyable thank to the comedic energy coming from Williams and Lane, while also consisting a nice, well-delivered message. (B)

(Full review coming soon)
½ May 24, 2015
What made sense and was really funny in the 1979 French film feels unbelievable and almost homophobic in 1996. Not only is unbelievable that these gay parents would go along with their son's desire to hide the truth, it is filled with self-loathing that annoys me to this day. Even the skilled comedic performances can't hide the fact that this movie feels like it is stuck in a whole other era unrelated to the mid-1990's.
May 12, 2015
Amazing movie!! Just watched it again the other day!
May 12, 2015
Amazing movie!! Just watched it again the other day!
½ May 5, 2015
Tremendous performances from Nathan Lane and Robin Williams in this awkward comedy. Great pacing and mood throughout, very typically Miami. One weakness is the below par efforts from Futterman and Flockheart.
May 2, 2015
Entertaining...in spells. Also quite silly and/or dull in spells.

Had the potential to be a very good comedy, as well as comment on bigotry and homophobia. In the end is a decent, but not great comedy. Some of the dialogue is very funny, but the movie often teeters on the edge of descending into pointless farce. Some of the gags and sub-plots go nowhere.

While taking a small stab at right-wing conservatism, the movie isn't that profound in terms of dealing with homophobia. Admittedly it is a comedy, not a drama, but set-up was already there.

Good performances by Robin Williams and Nathan Lane in the lead roles. Good support from Gene Hackman, Dianne Wiest, Hank Azaria, Calista Flockhart, Dan Flutterman and Christine Baranski.
½ April 27, 2015
Williams gives way and lets Lane steal this show....very funny.
½ April 27, 2015
This is a classic comedy which will keep you amused and laughing throughout. Robin Williams is good but it's Nathan Lane who steals the show. The ending featuring Gene Hackman is simply brilliant. My favourite film of 1996.
April 20, 2015
I never saw it until after Robin Williams' death, so I hope I don't end up in the pitfall of looking at his movies as more amazing than they actually were. If so, so be it. This movie was an absolute blast. Not only is Robin Williams good, but fucking Nathan Lane kills it! He's really underrated. The final 40 minutes are pretty suspenseful because you know the weight of the situation is going to come crashing down on the main characters. This is a movie I'll watch again and again.
April 16, 2015
Hysterical, relatable no matter your story, and irreverent to a fault, The Birdcage is the perfect screwball comedy that brings to light real issues of family values and social acceptance of LGBTQ members of society, all backed up by the wackiest cast of characters one could hope to assemble on screen.
April 8, 2015
Williams and Lane are excellent together, bringing a kind of manic energy to this thoroughly entertaining movie.
½ March 7, 2015
This remake of La Cage aux Folles is relentlessly entertaining with great performances, endless wit, and a great message.