Birth - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Birth Reviews

September 27, 2014
The premise of the story was a very intriguing one and complex, therefore I had very high expectations from it because it's subject was very provocative and also it had a very good director and actors. Thus, I wasn't disappointed, I suppose, because I was expecting it to be mysterious and go to places no other movie has, and it felt short in that department. But still, it had some "shocking" moments and excellent performances from Nicole Kidman and Cameron Bright, which had some intense scenes and really made a plot that could've been unbelievable and that is, and made it credible and as real as possible. Overall, this was a very good movie that surely stands on its own for its controversial and unusual story, that makes you think and amazed of how vulnerable people can get to be and how the mind is very powerful.
~September 27, 2014~
September 3, 2014
Doesn't start get good until half way through and apart from a few stand-out scenes is less rewarding than it should be, given the premise. Watch Glazer's "Under The Skin" instead, which is perfect.
July 17, 2014
It may have an interesting story, that if given to the right hands, would have been a fantastic film, but it also has one of the most dissatisfying endings in motion picture history.
July 6, 2014
To all the people who hated this movie, have you ever lost someone you loved? I think it is a clear and startling portrait of the madness and longing caused by grief. I wish more popular culture addressed that issue with such fearlessness.
July 5, 2014
The ending is a little muddled, but Jonathan Glazer's Birth is an exceptional film that will have you questioning your views on the idea of life after death.
June 14, 2014
Un inteso drama de Jonathan Glazer. Nicole Kidman es una viuda, que tras 10 años de la muerte de su marido, decide reconstruir su vida y casarse. Tras ello, aparece un niño de 10 años que dice ser la reencarnación de su marido. Recomendable por la actuación de Kidman y su abierto final, pero es muy lenta. Buena música de Alexandre Desplat.
½ May 24, 2014
Despite an intriguing setup, Birth ultimately fails to tell a competent, satisfying story
May 24, 2014
One of my favorite films of the last 10 years. Nicole Kidman knocks it our of the park, frankly.
½ May 16, 2014
Very ambitious and practical look at reincarnation, lost love. Twisty and superbly crafted, although the character of young Sean seems to be farfetched once we realize what's really going on
½ April 10, 2014
It has a nice production to it and the performances are very good, and it starts out really strong, but it kind of loses its way as it goes into the third act. I actually saw this movie about two weeks ago but upon thinking about it, I've liked it a bit more.
½ March 29, 2014
Some of you just won't get this film. For those of you that do you're in for a treat.
DrStrangeblog
½ March 21, 2014
Right from the start, you are required to swallow a gigantic shovel of bullshit in order for the movie to work, and then things only get harder to believe from there. Nicole Kidman's dead husband of 10 years seems to reappear into her life in the body of child actor Cameron Bright, who was a hot property in the mid-Naughties, also appearing in big ticket movies Ultraviolet and Godsend with DeNiro. And he's the same in all of them, exhibiting a passive cherubic face and monotonic emotional state. He seems to have infected the entire cast too and everyone is so reserved you couldn't get a table at their restaurant for 5 years. There are an abundance of empty spaces in the screenplay too, in one shot at the theater Kidman stares straight into the camera for an entire two minute stretch! If only the story took similar risks, but it seems the director was aiming for a contemplative approach. Given the narrow scope, tiptoe pace, and lousy ending, I wonder what he expected we were to contemplate, our navels or wristwatch inner mechanisms?

Birth is professionally shot and with some work the music score by Alexandre Desplat could've been worthy of an Oscar nomination, but like every other facet it lacks ambition. While many of the technical aspects merit commendation, the rating accurately reflects the pointlessness of having watched their syntheses.
½ March 20, 2014
Right before Stanley Kubrick died, he must have passed his filmmaking skills along to Jonathan Glazer. Because as I watched this film, I felt like I was watching Stanley Kubrick using his gift to give us something beautiful on the big screen again. Birth is one of the best films I have ever seen, the direction is flawless, Nicole Kidman acts in one of her best performances of her life, the music is a sweet melody to listen to, and the story itself is intriguing. Jonathan Glazer has Stanley Kubrick's spirit inside of him and he is now one of my favorite directors, I hope to see more of his work.
March 11, 2014
The only reason to dislike or downrate this movie is plainly being disgusted by it. It's a thought-provoking, good drama (take this from someone who does not put those two words together often) with an exceptional wrench of an ending. It just happens to have a totally socially unacceptable theme. I'm not endorsing paedophilia (FAR from it!) but movies aren't real, nothing nasty even happens, and all this one does is ask the viewer where love ends. The difference between a story and propaganda is that a true story allows the viewer to decide what the answer to the central question is.
½ February 3, 2014
Dark theme but emotionally engaging. Welcome reprieve from all the other movies out there.
½ December 31, 2013
Excellent film. what a great story & they way it's done is just brilliant. The performances of both Cameron Bright & Nicole Kidman are hypnotising.
December 27, 2013
Odd, disturbing and uncomfortable. This film did not deserve the beating it took from both the critics are the box office. This film is of note and worth a viewing.
December 27, 2013
I thought this movie would be about a really interesting topic 'reincarnation' but as it turns out - it's not really about reincarnation. I felt uncomfortable with an inappropriate scene in the film and I'm sure other parents would feel the same.
½ December 25, 2013
The scary thing is that this movie might prove to be ahead of its time. I hope to God I'm wrong.
December 8, 2013
I must say this is an interesting movie but it does fall kind of flat on its face at the end. The story line is unique and the execution of the movie is well done but it doesn't pick up until half way through and then falls at the end. I'd say it is worth a watch but it is not a movie that I would go back to look at ever again. It's just one of those movies that you want to like but can't because of it's ending.