Bitter Sugar (Azúcar Amarga) Reviews

• May 30, 2011

Just ok drama here exploring the hardships of living in Cuba. Gustavo tries to eak out a living in Havana while waiting to go abroad with a scholarship, his dad gets a job at a swanky tourist resort because his psychiatrist job doesnt pay enoughm and his brother seems to do nothing but protest all day long. Meanwhile, Gustavo has his eye on a cute little brunette, but even, yes, she has some secrets. While it's intentions are certainly genuine, I think this was a wee bit too much politics to cram into one movie. Gustavo's problems are interesting, but his brother's are just a bit unneccessary, distracting and, quite frankly, over the top to be in this movie. The cinematography is excellent and whatnot but the story could have used a little simmering down.

• Mar 26, 2011

Honestly, I only kept watching because I thought Mayte Vilan lit up the screen. Or maybe I just thought she was hot. This is amateur stuff, mediocre and dull. Blah blah blah communism is bad blah blah blah.

• Apr 10, 2009

A scathing commentary on the failures of the revolution in Cuba. Good performances all around.

• Mar 11, 2009

Pretty good, but could've been better. At times I didn't know what side it was on.

• Mar 01, 2009

I found the movie depressing but one that compelled me to watch.

I found the movie depressing but one that compelled me to watch.

• Jul 13, 2008

a very odd movie that we had to watch in spansih class. it was pretty good though.

• May 25, 2008

A inside view of what life was like for intelligentsia and artists in Cuba under Castro in decline: living like exiles in their own country where the foreign investor is God. The tie between the narrative and polemical was less than seamless and the messaging over-obvious and repetitive at times. The screenplay seemed to work harder at telling, rather than showing.

• Feb 27, 2008

Wonderful. Hermosa. Bella.

Wonderful. Hermosa. Bella.

• Feb 09, 2008

A flawed propaganda-drama that still manages to attain fleeting moments of cinematic greatness.

• Sep 27, 2007

great forgien film with english subtitles. the movie is based in cuba and it is about a group of friends that lives intertwined with the many problems in their lives. there is the story of a hooker and her boyfriend who wants to leave the island and decides to leave one night in a craft. the boyfriend is an capitalism idealist who has a chance of heart when he sees his island is not want is suppose to be and tries to rebel against it. it is a great movie. everyone should see it. but it is of adult issues, no children should watched this movie.