The Black Cauldron - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Black Cauldron Reviews

½ October 11, 2015
Not a great film, but still more worth it than "Home on the Range".
September 16, 2015
Good animation, but just didn't feel like the Disney film which I grew up with!
½ September 5, 2015
It is too uncomfortably dark for children (in a way that made me think of He-Man), while also too silly, shallow and unmemorable for an older audience - thus, not aimed at any audience in particular and flawed enough to be remembered only for its technical accomplishment.
June 28, 2015
long story short its a hiden jem!
½ June 22, 2015
Disney animating a dark fantasy tale based on a series of books was a move for them to try out in a way to expand their tastes in picking out stories to tell and draw, it'd resulted to not be at their usual scales despite retaining the usual talents of good animation and at least some of their charms added to the characters. One of Disney's usual qualities is their magic, the brand's primal weapon, was toned down in order to stick to the story's dark fantasy atmosphere while presenting it with the family-friendly lens.

Disney's "The Black Cauldron" isn't their least animated work when it's still talented in animation and retaining some charms despite being flawed and not at their usual scale with toned-down magic; it's still an enjoyable Disney treat, especially being also a nice addition to the fantasy genre watchlist. Furthermore, it might reach the worthy label of bringing satisfactory upon viewing. (B)

(Full review coming soon - with better wording probably)
½ June 21, 2015
In the ilk of LOTR, this Disney classic is among the studio's darkest fables, including some of the coolest bad-guy visuals Walt every backed. Unfortunately, this high-fantasy adventure doesn't quite stand-up to Disney's best, with somewhat weak animation that feels more like a Bluth studio film.
½ May 28, 2015
So here's the infamous entry in the Disney Animated Canon.

I'm going to have to say that I just did not find this film energetic at all. There are some scary scenes at the end of the first act and at the end of the film, but I did not sense that much effort given into those scenes, and the middle of the film with the witches was boring. Finally, the Horned King went down too easily.

I am aware that the final encounter was the recipient of Jeffrey Katzenberg's editing attempts, but from what I did see on my DVD rental, even with the scenes that he cut out, it still seems more focused on being flat-out scary and disgusting than actually showing action, and the "fight" was nonexistent at best. One thing Disney films are known for is an epic final action scene, and The Black Cauldron underdelivered.

I also see Katzenberg gets a lot of **** for cutting those scenes, but to his defense, the edits wouldn't have helped the middle of the film, which was boring and pedestrian, or how the battle ended.

The Black Cauldron is just a weak attempt at darker Disney fare. Snow White, Pinocchio, and Fantasia aced that test. Cauldron flunked out.
May 23, 2015
Probably the worst Disney animated feature I've seen yet. It would take too long to detail everything that's wrong with it. Some of the action is very well done, but that's about the only good thing going for it.
½ May 17, 2015
The Black Cauldron is called the worst animated Disney film by some critics. Probably only because it's not typical song and dance hand drawn Disney feature. While there's no memorable hero to stand behind and the story is darker.
Who cares though as long as you know what you're getting. What you're getting is an imaginary Fantasy film with some great animation and visuals.The villain is pretty cool as well.
½ May 13, 2015
"The Black Cauldron" has the impressive and artistically drawn animation that Disney animated movies are known for, but its plot hinges on a backstory, exposition, and characters which are underdeveloped and simplistic.
½ May 7, 2015
I didn't no this Disney film existed. It reminds me of Sword in the stone meets Aristocats.
March 1, 2015
Not really anything all that special, but not Disney's worst either (especially if compared to all those cheapquels). Comes across as a really tame copy of The Lord of the Rings more than anything else really (especially due to some strong parallels in plot), albeit minus the depth - and the horrors.
½ February 17, 2015
Even though I love sword & sorcery, this is a very bland film, featuring a bunch of forgettable characters in a not so epic quest. You can definitely skip this one :$
February 9, 2015
Classic dark tale of swords & sorcery, that is a beautifully crafted animation from Disney. This dark tale follows a boy & his friends as they take on the evil horned king at the black cauldron. Based on a book which uses Welsh mythology, The Black Cauldron is a fun film for adults and children alike as it has a great sense of adventure, & it's darker undertones makes it for nicely for ages 8 to adult.
February 3, 2015
the best Disney movie ever made!
January 29, 2015
The black Cauldron is one of the least famous Disney films but somehow it is a very interesting one because the story isn't as straight forward as the other films produced by the studio. Here it has a scent of heroic fantasy and black magic under the heavy influence of films such as Dark Cristal or Labyrinth. The story is pretty classic but the film manages to convey a very dark tone that probably explain why it hasn't been a very popular one, maybe a bit too raw and dark for the young audience who tend to thrive on more melodic and more optimistic films. The classic ingredients are there but Berman & Rich as directors have tried to make something different and even though the film is not a masterpiece I would salute the effort.
½ January 11, 2015
A different story that takes elements from lots of other sources, but doesn't really do anything with them. The story plods along with none of the charm, comedy or adventure from the other Disney films, and the characters and setting are completely unremarkable and underdeveloped. However, it still looks and sounds good considering it's age.
January 5, 2015
For the fact it was made in 1985, and scared the pants off me as a child in the mid 90's, I love this movie. I love the thrill it attempts to provide both children and the adults. Unlike newer Disney movies, their is no musical numbers that take away from the movie itself. The characters are relate-able, and the story is easy to follow. Unlike movies like Frozen, the script has a main focus and moral.
½ January 4, 2015
I have to say going through the back catalogue of the Disney Animated Classics, this film is overlooked, like the critical consenus says it's ambitious but flawed.

Firstly this film is dark, if you thought The Hunchback of Notre Dame was dark, then wait until you see this film. The film has themes of life, death, loyalty, friendship, sacrifice and even resurrection. The film is very much staple of the 1980s. It has clear influences taken from Star Wars ( a magic sword which lights up and a young dreamer wanting more).

The animation recalls that used in Peter Pan and Sword in the Stone, just look at Princess Eilonwy and not think it looks like Wendy from Peter Pan.

I felt though the film could have been longer to give more time let the characters breathe, you really don't care for the characters as much as you should. Though cugli (I think is his name - the dog) does provide an interesting sidekick character.

I would warn parents that this film is not for really young kids say aged 0-5, I would personally think it would be even dark fair for six year olds.

This being said I really enjoyed this film and while not a great Disney Classic by any means, I would recommend it to those who enjoy their dark fantasy adventures.
December 30, 2014
In the running for Disney's weirdest choice for an animated feature, this beautiful fantasy feature sacrifices characterization and heart to fulfill the story needs of the source material. Unfortunately, the darkness and high-stakes of the book clash with the cute leaving only a visually stunning mess. Unfortunately, the result is ultimately forgettable.