The Black Cauldron - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Black Cauldron Reviews

½ May 6, 2016
Not perfect but still worth watching.
April 19, 2016
There are some good visuals, but the story is just a big fat rip off of 'Lord of the Rings' and, overall, the animation isn't that great.
March 27, 2016
I appreciate it's ambition and there can be some cool scenes and visuals, but it has many flaws, the characters are either bland, obnoxious or both, and it's not like any of the disney classics.
March 25, 2016
Lo único que se puede decir de ella es lo "poco recordada" que es, algo inexplicable, es realmente buena y de lo mejor de Disney - que es bastante que decir- y si, poco recordada, pero los que la conocemos, no sólo la recordamos sino la apreciamos y admiramos mucho. Very good!
March 4, 2016
Slower and darker than most Disney animated movies, The Black Cauldron is known as Disney's biggest financial failure. It wasn't as bad as some of the other Disney movies, but it was kind of forgettable. The characters weren't appealing, the dark atmosphere may be scary for young kids, and the story was pretty generic. I found some of the voices kind of annoying too. However, I do respect it for its innovative animation. It's forgettable and somewhat boring but not awful.
½ March 3, 2016
The Black Cauldron is inherently flawed in its weaker characterization and some plot shortcomings, but the film is so incredibly dark and mature with such a menacing villain, striking imagery, powerful score, ambitious storytelling and many memorable scenes that it deserves respect as it is the darkest and most different of any Disney movies. It is a flawed, but solid film that is one of the most underrated animated films in my opinion.
February 2, 2016
Say a classic song: don't forget to remember... YOU!!! in my memory, with a yes, and perfect score.
½ January 31, 2016
Not my favourite Disney...it doesn't seem to know what it wants to be...dark and sinister or light and fluffy. Hasn't stood the test of time unfortunately.
½ January 24, 2016
30.12.2014,
22.01.2016
½ January 16, 2016
It was dark, mystical, and stylistic, but lacking. It would have been a success if it wasn't as thin or forgettable. The protagonists sucked and so did the voice acting. Sorry Disney, you failed. 5.5/10
January 9, 2016
Dark and mature, this is one of Disney's Greatest Movies.
Damn you critics, haters, and book purists.
December 13, 2015
Defiantly and underrated Disney film, now I'm not saying this is a masterpiece or one of the greatest animated but I still really like the film. I grew up watching this film and loved it as a child and now that I'm older. Now although the film has some problems it's still a good film that I have always enjoyed.
November 4, 2015
Quite dark for a Disney film, but decent too. Edges towards a Lord Of The Rings mood.
½ November 4, 2015
Definitely one of the worst Walt Disney animated films ever created. It was basic and gave me a sense of deja vu, this is not a Disney classic because it lacks creativity and there aren't any memorable songs.
½ October 18, 2015
Terrified me as a child, still terrifies me as an adult!
October 17, 2015
There's a pretty good reason why this is one of Disney's least talked about animated features - it's mostly terrible.
The list of things flat out wrong with this flick are numerous but among the biggest complaints I had were shoddy animation work, characters and plot lines that serve little purpose to the story, and an abundance of plot holes.
Two stars though for the scene in which the old man/frog gets lost in the witch's cleavage.
½ October 11, 2015
Not a great film, but still more worth it than "Home on the Range".
September 16, 2015
Good animation, but just didn't feel like the Disney film which I grew up with!
½ September 5, 2015
It is too uncomfortably dark for children (in a way that made me think of He-Man), while also too silly, shallow and unmemorable for an older audience - thus, not aimed at any audience in particular and flawed enough to be remembered only for its technical accomplishment.
June 28, 2015
long story short its a hiden jem!