The Black Dahlia - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Black Dahlia Reviews

½ July 9, 2015
very disappointing adaptation
May 16, 2015
The biggest dissappointment of 2006. You would expect De Palma directing an all-star cast to be one of the greatest movies of the year right? WRONG! This movie had no real direction and barely even focused on the Black Dahlia murder. Despite good performances from Hartnett and Johannsen and a very good visual style, this movie is one of the worst films of the year. Shame on you De Palma.
April 8, 2015
Love the style, convoluted story. gimme some noir!
March 1, 2015
Based on the infamous unsolved murder in Hollywood 1930's which to this day remains unsolved. Detectives Aaron eckhart and josh harnett are assigned to the case. But as they get closer to solving the case that when people start dying and they end up almost getting killed.

The first half of this movie is accurate brilliant beautifully acted and engaging but the second half is just horrible. The movie becomes depraved with some brutal violence and it feels as if the director the famous Brian de Palma didn't know how to end it. Another mistake is that her death was never solved either.

A good but disappointing effort.
February 17, 2015
good period pic/thriller
½ January 17, 2015
Cine negro , con un buen reparto creo q la mejor actuaciĆ²n de Josh Harnet y con una Johanssen opacada , se nota la mano del gran Brian De Palma , pero pudo ser mejor.
January 4, 2015
Couldn't finish it. Too slow
December 8, 2014
Quite a boring film. It seems that the director was trying to win the oscar for costumes and hairstyling, or whatever it's called. It was all about trying to capture the atmosphere of the era rather than capturing the audiences attention. I'm sure that Scarlett Johannsson and Hilary Swank would consider this a mistake.
November 22, 2014
Brilliantly crafted and the cast do their best. But, has it got the due respect ?
November 14, 2014
Not as good as it should have been. The book is definitely better than the movie. I have watched it a couple of times, mainly on the hopes that it would somehow become better. It never did. Hillary Swank is one of my favorite actresses, but this movie did her no justice.
August 26, 2014
Looks pretty, but duller than a butter knife. Nobody was interesting enough to keep me invested in anything that was going on. The movie merely plays on common facts about the case but offer little else than Josh Hartnett looking hot in the 40's.
August 8, 2014
I know this has awful reviews and failed to add anything new to the genre. But the Black Dahlia case seemed very interesting to me, so I might check this one out.
½ August 7, 2014
By the end of the movie you will ask yourself, "why the hell i'm watching this?", a shame, because at first the film is intriguing.
July 28, 2014
Spectacularly bad acting.
July 25, 2014
I love anything sleuthy & I'm a big fan of Josh Hartnett so it's a win-win for me. If you enjoy a crime mystery check it out.
July 21, 2014
Film che si vorrebbe rifare ai film noir di un'ormai passata epoca che fece del noir un cavallo da battaglia di tutto rispetto. Qui, invece, non si ha per niente rispetto, andando a insozzare il genere con un film che non si regge minimamente in piedi, forzato il pił delle volte nello svolgimento della trama, con una regia che rasenta l'inettitudine e con dei ritmi snervanti che fanno sembrare infiniti i 110 minuti di tale oscenitą facendo notare la sin troppa presenza di "riempitivi". Credevo che Brian De Palma fosse una garanzia ma mi sbagliavo e di molto.
July 20, 2014
Excellent work overlooked by critics due to its somewhat slow start, becomes more and more compelling and complex as it progresses. Intelligent script inspired by the bizarre unsolved murder of Elizabeth Short aka 'The Black Dahlia'. Extraordinarily excellent acting by all cast members, a truly underrated movie worth your attention.
July 1, 2014
Just okay. Surprised to learn the original book was by the same author who wrote L.A. Confidential. Somewhere along the line the formula for the movie in no way delivers the same punch. Still, enjoyable.
June 25, 2014
Visually splendid but the script crumbles beyond a certain point.
½ May 19, 2014
Halfway through the film, and I was already super disappointed by it. It's really quite boring, and the acting is pretty shaky all round. After debating on whether or not I was going to finish it at all, I decided on not once it had gotten so boring that my eyes crossed. And, I'm not sure, but there might have been some drool. And, I know it was set in the 40?s and it was a thing, but god, so many cigarettes! It's nauseating. If I took a shot for every cigarette lit in the first 55 minutes of this film, I'd get alcohol poisoning and die. Twice. I give it 1/10, and that's purely for the eye candy. The film itself gets a big, fat zero.