Black Dynamite Reviews

• Jun 15, 2020

Perfect. Absolute perfection.

Perfect. Absolute perfection.

• May 10, 2020

A spoofy blaxploitation film where Black Dynamite is the man to know. He get's girls, he beat up bad guys and is a untouchable hero. There is a lot of drug trafficing going on in the city so he takes on the mission to stop the bad guys. Some funny oneliners and some silly fights. The story is not all that and I was generally not very entertained. OK, but not a big hit. 5 out of 10 kung-fu moves.

• Feb 18, 2020

A low-budget-on-purpose film that is damn quotable and enjoyable. Really loved every scene in this film and calling out the flaws is a fun activity that makes rewatching a must. 5/5. They don't make films like these anymore.

• Oct 14, 2019

I like a smart parody film, and that’s why I had such a good time watching Black Dynamite. The comedy is so spot-on because it leans into the ridiculous, but not so far that it is total nonsense. It kind of reminded me of a slightly more edgy version of The Naked Gun. I could tell what was happening in each scene, even though most of it was crazy. I think there are elements of the overall plot that are a bit muddled and confusing, because I didn’t fully understand some of the steps of Black Dynamite’s investigation, but the story works well enough. I thought it was funny when they finally revealed the evil plan, even though I was about 5 steps ahead of them at that point. Michael Jai White is perfect in the lead role, because it always feels like he’s playing it straight despite the fact that the situations are ludicrous. Most of the supporting cast was also solid, although there were a few who acted too self-aware (like Tommy Davidson) and it felt too much like they were winking at the camera, which isn’t quite the tone that works in this kind of parody. What holds me back from pure love of Black Dynamite is my lack of familiarity with the genre it spoofs. I do know a lot of the tropes that are prevalent in blaxploitation films, so in general I understand what they’re going for with the jokes in this film. However, I feel like it would resonate even more profoundly if I was a big fan that could connect specific references to films that came out in the 1970s. I could certainly tell that the look of Black Dynamite is reminiscent of that time period, because it’s not a crystal-clear image in 4K Ultra-HD. This movie looks like it could have been made decades ago, and there are some animated details in the credits (and at least one in the film) that feel like classic hand-drawn animation from an era long past instead of today. It’s clear that the creative team behind Black Dynamite had a clear vision and executed it brilliantly. Even without a strong familiarity of the parodied genre, it’s a hilarious comedy that kept me laughing throughout, so what more can you ask?

• Aug 07, 2019

4/5. A hilarious and brilliant homage to blaxploitation films.

4/5. A hilarious and brilliant homage to blaxploitation films.

• Jun 25, 2019

Perfect on every level. DYNAMITE DYNAMITE - DYNAMITE DYNAMITE!

Perfect on every level. DYNAMITE DYNAMITE - DYNAMITE DYNAMITE!

• Jan 20, 2019

Black Dynamite is one awesome tribute to Blaxploitation movies and 70s schlock.

Black Dynamite is one awesome tribute to Blaxploitation movies and 70s schlock.

• Jan 02, 2019

A spoof of the 1970s Blaxploitation movies; "Black Dynamite" is a fun, over-the-top action-comedy that will burst your gut with laughter. Its witty, unpredictable dialogue and Michael Jai White's unbelievable performance will surely be remembered for ages. The only downside is the jokes can get tiresome really quickly. Still, it's a ride that everyone should experience once in their lifetime. You won't be disappointed.