The Black Godfather Reviews

• Nov 17, 2018

i enjoyed the film but i wasnt exactly blown away by it; not as good as truck turner

• Feb 02, 2016

Kinda scraping the bottom of the barrel with my Blaxploitation selections this time around, and this one isn't any sort of exception, with only a few interesting moments to set it apart from the rest of the crowd. Rental? Maybe?

• Sep 19, 2014

Review coming soon to themoviefreakblog.com

Review coming soon to themoviefreakblog.com

• Mar 09, 2014

Don't let your mouth overload your ass. JJ is a black crime boss that is slowly taking over the entire neighborhood. One of the drugs creeping through his neighborhood is heroine. When JJ does some digging, he discovers the source of the heroine is a rival crime boss in a small corner of an area he doesn't control. JJ decides to extend the reach of his gang and squeeze the heroine dealer out of business. The heroine dealer will not go out quietly. "You pimp everything and everybody in the neighborhood." John Evans, director of Speeding up Time, Blackjack, and the upcoming The Accident, delivers The Black Godfather. The storyline for this picture is fairly straightforward and not overly imaginative. The action scenes were okay and the script was fairly clever. The acting was below par and the cast includes Rod Perry, Tony Burton, Damu King, and Jimmy Witherspoon. "I'll fuck you for it." "Close your eyes and pretend it's me." I watched this off Netflix as another potentially interesting Blaxploitation film. I found it just okay with some nice characters and action scenes but a cliché plot and direction. Overall, I recommend seeing this maybe once but it definitely isn't a classic addition to the genre. "I'm the man that recognizes talent." Grade: C-

• Feb 17, 2014

Watch this on Netflix with subtitles on. The plot has potential but is poorly executed. Most of the screen time is talkin' and walkin'. But the best part is definitely the description of the music in the subtitles. Not that it saves the movie or anything, but it does add an extra star or so of amusement.

• Oct 27, 2012

Hasn't had the lasting impact of The Godfather but not bad. Unlike Pacino, JJ rises from humble roots (with bodyguard Sonny) up the underworld to take on a white drug cartel who sell to ghetto kids. Black crimelords apparently have more scruples.

• Nov 15, 2011

Some community-minded individuals squeeze out the mob influence and heroin traffic in the black community. Seems like a bit of a stretch. Part of a wave of second tier blaxploitation cinema in the mid-70s, but still recommended for the genre completist.

• Chris W Super Reviewer
    Aug 14, 2011

I dig mob movies...as well as Blaxploitation films..and on the occasions that the two would mix, I have been pleased. But that is not quite the case here. This is a run-of-the-mill effort in both genres. What we get here is the typical story of a street punk who goes from rags to riches and works his way up the ladder to criminal stardom. There's turf wars, drug trades, and a push to force the Man out of the ghetto. Even such a basic and well worn premise can still make for a good movie if done right. But here, the results are just basic, cookie cutter formula rehashings. It's not even that engaging or memorable of a movie. It does try a little bit, but not nearly enough. At least the music is decent though. That's probably the best part, really. If not for that, this would be even more forgettable.

• Nov 27, 2010

With the popularity of "The Godfather" and "The Godfather Part II" in the early 70's it would only be a matter of time before a Blaxploitation imitation of those epics oozed its way into the grindhouse cinemas. They made "Blacula", "Blackenstein" and "Dr. Black Mr. Hyde" so "The Black Godfather" seems like it's a step in the right direction as now the genre is cloning academy award winning films opposed to horror B-movies. Sadly the combination of such grand films and the interesting Blaxploitation genre didn't come out near as promising or entertaining as one might expect and even the Blaxploitation horror knock-offs are far better than this. Our film opens up with two goons trying to hold up a place and they both end up shot, one dying and the other being taken in by the "Black Godfather" who in turn saves his life. Our "Black Godfather" takes J. J. (NFL star Rod Perry) under his wing and soon J.J. becomes the black godfather himself and decides to clean up his hood from drugs and starts a personal war against a rival white gang. The perplexing aspect of the plot is that J.J.'s going murders and robs which seems to be kosher but drugs pushes their ethical line over the edge. Murdering in cold blood is so much better than selling crack to a teenager...sheesh. That just makes no sense and the thought of it is quite laugh inducing. The acting is as expected for a low budget Blaxploiation effort but the filmmaking is quite poor. The direction is shoddy, the sound is deplorable, and the editing is sloppy. I even saw the shadows of the camera crew a few times during driving sequences. The score is just dreadful and makes a blood drop from your ear lob after a half hour of having it stab into your eardrum. With a title like "The Black Godfather" this should have been a monumental effort in the Blaxploitation subgenre. I mean your referencing one of the best films ever made! Thanks to poor filmmaking all around it doesn't live up to the concept and just comes out being another poorly made Blaxploitation effort . It may not be the worst the genre has to offer, but there are many many many more better examples and I only recommend this for viewing for the most hard-core fans.

• Greg S Super Reviewer
    Jul 03, 2010

An idealistic black gangster organizes the ghetto to push out the white dope dealers. Surprisingly talky and fairly forgettable; the plot just barely keeps you interested in watching to the end.