Black Hawk Down - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Black Hawk Down Reviews

September 24, 2016
Battlefield sequences are intense. Soundtrack is brilliant and it is one of those movie that does not say too much about typical American patriotism, which Michael Bay has been doing for years. And that is good. I love Ewan MeGregor' s role.
½ September 19, 2016
All wail for the poor Americans. Totally ignores what the Americans did to the Somalis. Insufferable jingoism.
August 26, 2016
One of my favorite soundtracks of all time, and a great story about the power of brotherhood!
August 23, 2016
Will always go down as one of the best war movies I've ever seen. N not hey just don't make them like this very much anymore
August 19, 2016
Even worse the second time around. Very gruesome and lots of action, but it's missing a real story. It's a boring and difficult movie to sit through. (First full viewing - Early 2002 in theaters)
August 8, 2016
What surprises me is that this movie was made--it was only a raid in a military action that was short lived, and not very outstanding, considering the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, or Vietnam. But Ridley Scott has made it into a major film that shows a view of modern warfare that the home audience does not often understand--that the "heroes" are merely men, usually young ones with no understanding of to what they have committed themselves, but able to acquit themselves well and honorably despite their youth and inexperience. And then, the older ones who do it, as "Hoot" says, "for the man standing next to you." A moving film about a subject that is, unfortunately, always timely.
August 8, 2016
A sobering anti war film added to my list of excellent war films. Another epic film by legendary film maker Ridley Scott with heavy duty guns firing from all cylinders and rockets exploding from all corners, bloody body injuries with blood spurting from femoral arteries, I haven´t been to Somalia or Mogadishu but the war torn town depicted in the film and the masses of gun tottting somalians were scaresomely realistic. Beautiful shots of fleets of helicopters flying over panoramic stretches of the beaches and ocean into war zone. Wierdly reminiscent of Apocalypse Now but with less mentally unsound soldiers this time round. The political message aside, Director Scott told the fiasco story of Black Hawk Down in typical hugely epic dimensions and loudly rousing music score by Hans Zimmer. Scenes of desmembered body parts and fountains of blood spurting were not less shocking than Normandy beach scene in Saving Private Ryan, just lest sustained and intense. But the most thrilling part of the film was star studded cast giving fantastic performance with Josh Hartnett taking centre stage.Like a child in a candy shop, there were many other eye candies like lesser billed actors that were no less amazing, such as Jamie Lannister or Niholaj Costa-Waldau, like coffee perfecting making obsessed Ewan McGregor, Jeremy Preven, the mercenary and highly effective killler soldier Eric Bana and capable medic Tye Burrell.This intervention by American forces in Somalia was no less a fiasco and a waste of human lives as the Vietnam war. This time it was Bill Clinton to be stimatized by a unwinnable disastrous war. Fighing a foreign war do not have happy endings. Not Vietnam war, not Somalia, not Libya, not Iraq, not Afghanistan. All diastasters and USA is wating for flocks of chickens coming to USA to roost. One of the chicens that came home to roost was no doubt black Americans killing white cops. Gruesome images of wiild black skinneies fighting against the almost all white American soldiers were and are searing to the minds of people who watched them. At the end of film, we learnt that at least 1000 Somalians and 19 American soldiers. Different folks in USA would take different sides for sure.
July 19, 2016
Many people may disagree with this but in my opinion, this is one of the best war films ever made. Sure, it's not a masterpiece but in my opinion, it's very close to being one. This movie is a highly well-done experience.

123 U.S. soldiers are dropped into Somalia to capture two top lieutenants of a renegade warlord and they find themselves in a desperate battle with a large number of heavily-armed Somalis.

Ridley Scott has created one of the most realistic war movies ever. I actually felt that I was in the middle of the war-zone as it was going on. Because of how much it felt like the actual story, the movie creates a high amount of tension and it makes the viewer realize what exactly went on when the real event happened. The movie does an especially superb job on this because of the realistic environments, shots, and acting.

The score is fantastic. When certain scenes happen, it draws emotions out of us. Unlike a lot of movies, Black Hawk Down's score works with the movie. This means that without the music when a certain character dies off or when another important scene happens, it will have an impact on you regardless. But the score makes that feeling you had more massive.

Many people dislike the fact that this movie didn't have much character development. It is true that it's light on it but this film isn't focused on developing the characters, nor does it have to. It's completely dedicated to providing us with a first-person perspective of being in the middle of combat.

This movie does have a lot of suspense but it can be a bit mundane getting to the good parts. The opening is quite overlong and dry. It is full of military jargon and diagrams. But despite this, this movie is definitely worth seeing. After the opening is over, you're in for a big treat.

So in conclusion, this is a truly outstanding movie. Even though the opening is slow, this movie will impress you because of how realistic it is. It has realistic environments, shots, and acting. In my opinion, this is one of the greatest war films ever made.
July 2, 2016
A bit long and started out slow, but once the action started, it was one hell of a ride.
June 28, 2016
The first act of this movie is not that good at all. However the second and third act are amazing. Pulse pounding action and tense moments make this movie worth watching.
June 22, 2016
Based on the true story of U.S. soldiers on a mission to capture lieutenants of a drug lord in Somalia when a black hawk helicopter is shot down and they must battle a large Somali militia. Great screenplay and excellent direction in this film. The casting director assembled a great cast of characters to tell this story. The action is incredibly realistic and as the drama unfolds you really are on the edge of your seat wondering what will happen. Great film overall and another outstanding performance by Ewan McGregor.
½ May 24, 2016
While it may be sparse in terms of narrative, the brisk pace and frightening emotion mixed with visceral and popping action proves to be a memorable and rewarding experience.
½ May 14, 2016
A gritty, exciting, war epic with an excellent cast and masterfully directed by Ridley Scott.
April 27, 2016
one of my favorite army movies
March 30, 2016
Ridley Scott takes on the subject of war. Everybody does their best as a technologically advanced American crew of expert soldiers work to extricate key figures in a dirtwater African town torn apart in a civil war --- until it all goes wrong, big-time. Hold onto your seats, it's going to be a bumpy ride, hoorah. Blistering combat, don't say I didn't warn you. For giggles try to spot the foreigners playing Yanks, I dare you. Having a weekend allnighter? Do a doubleheader with Zulu, with Michael Caine, another whiteys against the rampaging darkies show.
½ March 19, 2016
Let me just start out this review, by saying that Ridley Scott is one of my favorite directors. The way he operates with his films is simply brilliant. In his movies, he tries to capture the audience, and throw us into the movie, without corrupting the non-cliche aspects of his work. His movies aren't corny, and there not stupid. It's all about the filming with him, and I love it. "Black Hawk Down" is no different. In an age of ridiculous action war movies, Scott brings us back with a knockout of a film, which generates both sorrow and beauty. The sorrow coming from the tragic loss of soldiers, and the beauty coming from the amazing cinematography, film editing, and screenplay that his been set up for us. "Black Hawk Down" is an amazing movie.

"Black Hawk Down" follows the actual events that occured in Somolia in 1993. Bill Clinton sent in troops to take out a warlord in restore peace in the country, but things got very complicated. The portrayal of this event is done perfectly in this film.

For me, this film came down to two things. Acting, and cinematography. These two aspects made this movie what it is. Acting wise, everyone does a great job in this movie. The group of actors we are presented with are mostly not American, so we see a lot of people hiding there accents with southern accents, and that's okay. Orlando Bloom, Ewan Mcgregor, Eric Bana, and Jason Isaacs all attempt to hide there actual voices in this movie, and I thought that was very interesting to see. Besides Orlando Bloom, these actors all did a great job in the movie, and presented their lines well, and approached this movie with maturity and passion. Now your wondering why I said "except Orlando Bloom". Well heres why: Bloom was in literally all together 20 minutes of the film. He's only on screen a couple of times, and the monologues he gives are boring and unimportant. He was the only negative aspect about this film, but he is so miniscule in his importance, that he didn't take away any overall quality. I just thought I'd mention it. What I didn't mention though, was the performances of American actors. I'm specifically talking about Josh Hartnett, and Tom Sizemore. Hartnett did a great job in this movie. Usually, I think he's a little ridiculous, and most of the time I think he's just eye candy for women when he's on screen. He definitely proved me wrong in this movie. The perfomanes he gives is full of emotion, and he really impressed me. The monologue that he gives at the end of the film is simply brilliant, but I won't give anything away. Nobody really recognizes the performances that Tom Sizemore gives in a film. I think that he always does a great job, and he really cares about his work. In this movie, he gave an awesome performance, and did exactly what he needed to do. It was awesome.

Another thing that I mentioned was really important in this movie was the cinematography. It's amazing. The shots we are presented with are all handled with great care, and there are no errors to be found. The specific lighting and contrast textures that we see are all awesome, and I love films that are made like this. It makes the film excellent, and it's really well done.

But "Black Hawk Down" is more than just a movie. It's a message. Don't leave anyone behind, and help the people around you. The story that Ridley Scott told, and what we see on the screen, is literally fantastic. "Black Hawk Down" is a movie to definitely be remembered for a long time.
½ March 12, 2016
2 1/2 ud af 5 kamphelikoptere. Når man i over en time har set forrygende kampscener, der ligner hinanden til forveksling, med personer, der ligner hinanden til forveksling, har man sådan set fået nok. Men det bliver gudhjælpemig ved i 2 1/2 time, og personudviklingen udebliver. Den film er godt nok overvurderet.
½ March 3, 2016
Una de las mejores películas bélicas que se han hecho jamás.

Sí, es cierto que su mensaje es demasiado yankee (algo curioso viniendo un director inglés), pero su factura es sobervia. Una realización fantástica, una edición frenética; a pesar de ser algo caótica. Una ristra de personajes interesantes, a pesar de ser todos clichés unidimensionales.

Es curioso además ver la gran cantidad de actores que eran desconocidos en este momento y lo grandes que serían después (Tom Hardy, Ty Burrell,...).

Una película para los amantes de la acción.
jamrcla
½ February 28, 2016
Very good intense action film, Very well acted and very well done, Just a little slow at the start and seemed to drop the pace allot, Was hoping for a better ending too.
½ February 11, 2016
What it lacks in subtlety, "Black Hawk Down" more than makes up for in bracing combat and high octane filmmaking from a true master.