Black Hawk Down - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Black Hawk Down Reviews

½ May 14, 2016
A gritty, exciting, war epic with an excellent cast and masterfully directed by Ridley Scott.
April 27, 2016
one of my favorite army movies
March 30, 2016
Ridley Scott takes on the subject of war. Everybody does their best as a technologically advanced American crew of expert soldiers work to extricate key figures in a dirtwater African town torn apart in a civil war --- until it all goes wrong, big-time. Hold onto your seats, it's going to be a bumpy ride, hoorah. Blistering combat, don't say I didn't warn you. For giggles try to spot the foreigners playing Yanks, I dare you. Having a weekend allnighter? Do a doubleheader with Zulu, with Michael Caine, another whiteys against the rampaging darkies show.
½ March 19, 2016
Let me just start out this review, by saying that Ridley Scott is one of my favorite directors. The way he operates with his films is simply brilliant. In his movies, he tries to capture the audience, and throw us into the movie, without corrupting the non-cliche aspects of his work. His movies aren't corny, and there not stupid. It's all about the filming with him, and I love it. "Black Hawk Down" is no different. In an age of ridiculous action war movies, Scott brings us back with a knockout of a film, which generates both sorrow and beauty. The sorrow coming from the tragic loss of soldiers, and the beauty coming from the amazing cinematography, film editing, and screenplay that his been set up for us. "Black Hawk Down" is an amazing movie.

"Black Hawk Down" follows the actual events that occured in Somolia in 1993. Bill Clinton sent in troops to take out a warlord in restore peace in the country, but things got very complicated. The portrayal of this event is done perfectly in this film.

For me, this film came down to two things. Acting, and cinematography. These two aspects made this movie what it is. Acting wise, everyone does a great job in this movie. The group of actors we are presented with are mostly not American, so we see a lot of people hiding there accents with southern accents, and that's okay. Orlando Bloom, Ewan Mcgregor, Eric Bana, and Jason Isaacs all attempt to hide there actual voices in this movie, and I thought that was very interesting to see. Besides Orlando Bloom, these actors all did a great job in the movie, and presented their lines well, and approached this movie with maturity and passion. Now your wondering why I said "except Orlando Bloom". Well heres why: Bloom was in literally all together 20 minutes of the film. He's only on screen a couple of times, and the monologues he gives are boring and unimportant. He was the only negative aspect about this film, but he is so miniscule in his importance, that he didn't take away any overall quality. I just thought I'd mention it. What I didn't mention though, was the performances of American actors. I'm specifically talking about Josh Hartnett, and Tom Sizemore. Hartnett did a great job in this movie. Usually, I think he's a little ridiculous, and most of the time I think he's just eye candy for women when he's on screen. He definitely proved me wrong in this movie. The perfomanes he gives is full of emotion, and he really impressed me. The monologue that he gives at the end of the film is simply brilliant, but I won't give anything away. Nobody really recognizes the performances that Tom Sizemore gives in a film. I think that he always does a great job, and he really cares about his work. In this movie, he gave an awesome performance, and did exactly what he needed to do. It was awesome.

Another thing that I mentioned was really important in this movie was the cinematography. It's amazing. The shots we are presented with are all handled with great care, and there are no errors to be found. The specific lighting and contrast textures that we see are all awesome, and I love films that are made like this. It makes the film excellent, and it's really well done.

But "Black Hawk Down" is more than just a movie. It's a message. Don't leave anyone behind, and help the people around you. The story that Ridley Scott told, and what we see on the screen, is literally fantastic. "Black Hawk Down" is a movie to definitely be remembered for a long time.
½ March 12, 2016
2 1/2 ud af 5 kamphelikoptere. Når man i over en time har set forrygende kampscener, der ligner hinanden til forveksling, med personer, der ligner hinanden til forveksling, har man sådan set fået nok. Men det bliver gudhjælpemig ved i 2 1/2 time, og personudviklingen udebliver. Den film er godt nok overvurderet.
½ March 3, 2016
Una de las mejores películas bélicas que se han hecho jamás.

Sí, es cierto que su mensaje es demasiado yankee (algo curioso viniendo un director inglés), pero su factura es sobervia. Una realización fantástica, una edición frenética; a pesar de ser algo caótica. Una ristra de personajes interesantes, a pesar de ser todos clichés unidimensionales.

Es curioso además ver la gran cantidad de actores que eran desconocidos en este momento y lo grandes que serían después (Tom Hardy, Ty Burrell,...).

Una película para los amantes de la acción.
jamrcla
½ February 28, 2016
Very good intense action film, Very well acted and very well done, Just a little slow at the start and seemed to drop the pace allot, Was hoping for a better ending too.
½ February 11, 2016
What it lacks in subtlety, "Black Hawk Down" more than makes up for in bracing combat and high octane filmmaking from a true master.
½ February 7, 2016
Non-stop action doesn't mean you don't need to have characterization for your characters. Still, "Black Hawk Down" offers thrilling sequences and frightening images to keep us invested on our heroes who must get back to base safe and sound. Definitely not for the faint of heart. Too bad it barely has any heart to begin with.
February 5, 2016
One of the greatest war films out there, this film captures the tragic event that happened in Somalia of 1993 perfectly. The drama, plot, action, characters, and etc. all turn out really well. This is a movie that is close to being perfect, but it deserves a respectable Grade A for being amazing, emotional, and intriguing at the same time. Score = 9.6
½ January 26, 2016
It's an action packed movie with great detailing and difficult direction.
I have watched many war movies and their original footage. Black Hawk Down still remains the best for me. And hats off to Hans Zimmer
January 11, 2016
Ridley Scott is a master director and he still shows his skill in directing by making this movie. Black Hawk Down is one of his best films.
January 10, 2016
One of the best, and most brutal, war films yet.
½ January 9, 2016
Brilliant movie, from acting to directing ... very hard to do, but done here. Right up there with zero dark 30 and American Sniper.
December 11, 2015
A good war movie with a good cast.
December 3, 2015
This film would not have gone over well in the Middle East. Really showed the USA as heroes when very few people on the other side of the world want them to interfere.
November 28, 2015
The one word you could describe this movie is: confusion. All of the parts are acted well and the camera work is brilliant, but you cannot identify (literally) anyone when the action starts. The characters look the same and it is almost impossible to emotionally react when people get killed off. Scott does a great job using that element, but analyzing it's fruitless.
November 25, 2015
Bloody and intense, "Black Hawk Down" delivers a captivating war movie based on true events of U.S. military involvement in Somalia at the hand of the immensely talented director, Ridley Scott.
½ November 10, 2015
Powerfully gripping war movie, even if it's light on plot development and chsracger
½ October 24, 2015
Great action packed film that pulls you in from the start.