Black Heaven (L'Autre Monde) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Black Heaven (L'Autre Monde) Reviews

January 4, 2014
interesting ideas but not fully resolved
½ July 20, 2013
There are a lot of unique moments and themes, but when it all adds up it's too uneven to recommend.
June 26, 2013
Not bad. Gets a little confusing between the real world and the virtual. This film has a clever storyline but the pieces just don't all fit together as the story unfolds. There were several times that I had to re-watch a scene because I wasn't quite sure where the story had gone. If you like French films or Sci Fi, you may enjoy this film.
½ April 21, 2013
A film about what happens when the virtual world blends with reality. A mildly entertaining distraction.
½ April 16, 2013
Gaspard est un jeune homme sans histoire qui profite de ses vacances avec ses amis et sa copine. Un jour il va suivre un mystérieux couple dont l'objectif est de se suicider ensemble. Il parviendra à sauver la fille, Audrey. Depuis, il sera totalement hypnotisé par elle, et va découvrir qu'elle a un avatar sur un monde virtuel appelé Black Hole, avec lequel elle continue à rechercher un partenaire pour mourir. Il va alors se créer lui-même un avatar, et va rentrer dans son jeu afin de pouvoir l'approcher. Mais la frontière entre le jeu et le réel n'est pas toujours claire.
Avec ce film, Gilles Marchand dénonce l'emprise que peuvent avoir des univers créés pour le divertissement sur certaines personnes. Le jeu Black Hole est très crédible et graphiquement très agréable. L'aspect thriller est également bien écrit. Louise Bourgoin interprète bien la personnalité trouble d'Audrey, et Grégoire L-R semble réellement tiraillé entre un fantasme et sa vie réelle. Malheureusement, le rythme ne maintient pas tout le temps notre attention, et la fin tombe un peu à plat. Il y aurait eu matière à faire quelquechose de plus tordu, pour profiter jusqu'au bout de cette ambiance de deux mondes
½ October 8, 2012
L'Autre Monde was a very interesting concept and a brilliantly built up narrative, but sadly falls apart at the end. It was quite enjoyable however with interesting characters. The 'other world', the world within the video game was an amazing concept, with a interesting characters to be found within.
July 5, 2012
L'Autre Monde (Gilles Marchand, 2010)

L'Autre Monde, released in English-speaking countries as Black Heaven, seems like exactly the kind of movie I would dig. It's the second feature from writer Gilles Marchand (his first was 2003's Qui a Tuà (C) Bambi?, which got all the appropriate press and a few award nominations). It features a bunch of young and very beautiful folks, some of whom are computer geeks. It features some exceptionally well-done computer-rendered sequences (approximately a quarter of the movie takes place in a Second Life-style world known as Black Hole). It's a thriller that's striving to be noir without ever quite getting there. All of these are things I treasure in movies. And yet... and yet.

Plot: Gaspard (Army of Crime's Grà (C)goire Leprince-Ringuet, who's just made for movie stardomâ"he looks like the angelic offspring of Ryan Gosling and Ben Affleck) and his new girlfriend Marion (Private Lessons' Pauline Etienne), while cruising around on the Vespa looking for secluded places to cuddle, stumble across the path of a mysterious, hooded woman and her companion. (We later find out these two are named Audrey [The Extraordinary Adventures of Adà (C)ele Blanc-Sec's Louise Bourgoin] and Dragon [Romantics Anonymous' Swann Arlaud].) On a whim, they decide to follow the two, and stumble onto what seems to be a suicide pact. Dragon is already dead, but Gaspard breaks into the car that's filling with carbon monoxide and pulls Audrey out, saving her life. This leads to him discovering what would seem to be her obsession with Black Hole, the alternate world where she met Dragon. Gaspard finds himself becoming obsessed with both Audrey and Black Hole despite being warned away by Audrey's overprotective brother Vincent (The Lover's Melvil Poupaud), and as his real-life relationships with Marion and his best mates Yann (The Snows of Kilamanjaro's Pierre Niney) and Ludo (Ali Marhyar in his screen debut) fracture, he gets drawn into the alluring, seemingly kinky (without ever really being so) web of Heaven, Black Hole's most exclusive nightclub.

All of which is quite wonderful, save one major problem: I never bought it. Not for one second was I convinced that Gaspard, who starts the movie so blissfully happy with Marion (and let's face it, Pauline Etienne is one of the most delicious dishes to come down the pike since Lillian Gishâ"and she's got that same wide-eyed innocence about her, too), is suddenly going to find himself drawn to trashy, low-rent Audrey. I can certainly see where he might find himself attracted to both, but the script, co-written by Marchand and his on-again off-again partner Dominik Moll, doesn't give us that optionâ"Gaspard goes from completely happy with Marion to completey obsessed with Audrey as if someone flipped a switch in his head, and we see nothing in his character, at any time in the movie, that would make us understand this transformation. During the first half of the movie, Gaspard is a stand-up guy, almost unbelievable in his angelicness. He's the perfect boyfriend, he's great with kids, even Marion's dad likes him (though like all dads, doesn't trust Gaspard as far as he can throw him). He lets off a little steam with Yann and Ludo now and again, but that doesn't change the fact that Saint Peter would call âwelcome, brother!â? when he hit the pearly gates. And then, suddenly, BAM. And the only motivation we're given is âhere's another girl for you to chase after.â? I still don't buy it.

If you can get past, or simply never think about, character motivation, there's a lot here to like. It's a slick, stylish, otherwise well-plotted thriller that teases you without ever quite delivering. Kind of like having sex in an alternate world. And I have to give Marchand props for the final shot, which is set up perfectly throughout the second half of the movie. I just wish I understood more of the why behind pretty much everything our main character did in that second half. **
½ April 9, 2012
L'autre Monde - Black Heaven - TRASH IT (C+)
L'autre Monde is a weird exotic French movie about a boy getting obsessed with the suicidal girl. The beginning of the movie is interesting and it seems very real but once the whole Black Hole game starts it kind of put the movie into another track. The Black Hole Tron lookalike scenes are not interesting, it's kind of weird.
Grégoire Leprince-Ringuet is good but there is nothing much he could have done in it. Louise Bourgoin is exotic and Pauline Etienne is cute.
On the whole L'autre is a perfect French movie everyone should avoid as it ruins the concept of the French movies.
½ April 5, 2012
engrossing french psychological thriller surrounding some dark links between an online game and the real world. interestingly, the main musical theme reminded me of the music in the anime series .hack//SIGN which deals with the same themes.
½ April 3, 2012
A interesting story, the film is median.
November 7, 2011
Tout le drame du cinema dit "de genre" francais resume en un seul film : une base inedite en France et finalement assez peu frequente a l'international (on pense au "Chatroom" de Hideo Nakata mais "L'autre monde" a le bon gout de s'en distancier par de nombreux aspects), des idees visuelles probantes (la dualite entre le monde "reel" mediterraneen et ensoleille et le monde virtuel sombre et froid) et l'efficacite scenaristique - en surface du moins - du thriller manipulateur hollywoodien. Pourtant, la sauce ne prend que tres moyennement. Acteurs fadasses, sequences virtuelles finalement assez mal exploitees et surtout, la resolution de l'equation finale est expediee en quatrieme vitesse, avec une absence du juste tempo qui ridiculise totalement ce qui aurait du etre le climax du film. "L'autre monde", c'est surtout une belle occasion manquee.
½ October 23, 2011
Don't believe the hype! Clever Second Life > live action tie-in but it's french!
½ October 1, 2011
The movie itself is different, but mediocre. The game played in the movie "Black Hole" if it actually could exist would have incredibly advanced speech recognition and response programming.
½ September 17, 2011
At the heart of it there is something going on, but certain aspects are not done great, the guys fasination with the woman did not grab me, and his current lady friend had so much going for her, it did not make sence
Tecnoandre
September 10, 2011
L'autre monde ("The other world") (titled "Black Heaven" in English) is a 2010 French film directed by Gilles Marchand and starring Grégoire Leprince-Ringuet, Louise Bourgoin, Melvil Poupaud and Pauline Etienne. It tells the story of young Gaspar, who is lured by a beautiful girl into an obsessive, deadly video game.Despite the good inicial idea and screenplay, the whole production loose itself from the middle to the end in a not interesting plot.
August 19, 2011
In a word, intriguing.

Good performances by the entire cast. It's slowly paced, but keeps the viewer's attention throughout. I enjoy movies where I'm drawn into the protagonist's perspective, and I want to make decisions and live through them. It's worth a watch.

Not many movies have incorporated online role-playing games into the premise. This movie does so successfully. Getting lost in an online fantasy appeals to some of generation X, and this film blends that fantasy into reality.
August 19, 2011
Gaspard and Marion stumble upon a suicide pact, rescuing the girl (Audrey) from death. Their paths cross later and Gaspard becomes obsessed by the girl, and is drawn into the Black Hole, a virtual world harbouring dark secrets. Gilles Marchandâ(TM)s techno thriller is certainly ambitious, and holds the attention, but never quite delivers on its promise. The VR stuff is convincing, and Louise Bourgoin (Adele Blanc-Sec) is alluring as Audrey, but the film doesnâ(TM)t have much of an impact when it comes to its final reel.
½ August 14, 2011
Louise Bourgoin is absolutely beautiful and the score from M83 was pretty good as well. The visuals of The Black Hole game sequences were well done. That's about all that is good to say about the film.
August 2, 2011
this movie has it´s moments ...but never really explains what is happening there.....you don´t have to see this one
July 29, 2011
A complete waste of a good premise. The quality of the visuals and score doesn't match the complete lack of a decent storyline.