Black like Me - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Black like Me Reviews

September 20, 2013
I think this is a sad reminder of where we were decades ago, and where, unfortunately, some people still are today.
March 6, 2012
I never really knew what kind of man James Whitmore was until I seen how he acted in this picture. Especially at the end when black people expressed that he could take the color off and they couldn't. I was so very moved when he walked off with head down feeling sorry for how black were treated. After I saw that picture I will always have great respect and admiration for James Whitmore.
½ April 26, 2009
It is a very powerful film and I refer many of my friends to see it. I read the book after I saw the movie and thought the movie did a very good job of staying true to the book. The book is a very good read and worth the investment in time to check out. Even though I think the book is better the movie did it justice.
½ March 22, 2009
i just happened to run across this great film on extremely late nite cable tv but i think everyone should be required to see this movie sometime during their schooling. very thought provoking...even today. may be even more important now that we have a black president.
February 21, 2008
Watched this movie in my Ethnicity In Film class, and it was pretty interesting. It was based on the true story of a white journalist who dyed his skin black and traveled the south, to see how whites reacted to him. He then published all his accounts in a magazine. Of course, he runs into many people who hate his guts simply because he's now black. He is even denied many jobs because he is an college educated black man. In one touching scene, he goes out to a club with three African Americans and they dance and have fun, and he bonds with a lady. it's a really innocent scene and clearly showed to any bigoted audience members watching that African Americans were just as human as any other race. I think this film is important, and pretty well done considering it's age. Doesn't look like many people have seen it, due to the lack of reviews on here, but I hope that changes.
November 18, 2007
A classic and out of print. A must see!
July 2, 2007
Everyone should see this. Very powerful movie even today