Black Magic Reviews

• Jul 24, 2018

Ups the crazy quotation higher than the 1st film. This one's a classic.

Ups the crazy quotation higher than the 1st film. This one's a classic.

• Jul 24, 2018

Prototypical Hong Kong magical horror film. Low on special effects, and not as outlandishly outrageous as later examples of the genre but definitely creates the template with spells and counter-spells (mostly love and death), and forays into grotesquery and purely provocative peculiarity.

• Oct 26, 2015

Wonderfully insane! Probably inspired more by Voodoo/Santeria than Chinese magic, though my knowledge on the subject is limited. I remember friends talking about this when it hit a local dollar ($1.50?) theater back in 1978-ish. Finally bought the DVD a few years ago and was initially disappointed, but now I kinda love it. I mean even the dog can't act. No kung fu despite the presence of Ti Lung, Lo Lieh, and cameos by Yueh Yua (sp?) and (Norman) Tsui Sui-Keung. There is an epic magic battle at the end with state of the art (1975) special effects.

• Aug 16, 2013

All irony aside, this one delivers high on the entertainment factor. They don't just exorcise the spirit out of you, they jam a chute of bamboo into your back and let the worms come out. Absolutely crazy nonsense that I loved every spellbinding second of. N

• Sep 09, 2011

This doesn't really live up to the potential of its mondo premise, Ho Meng Hua is a director who does well with martial arts epics like THE LADY HERMIT, but BLACK MAGIC feels cheap, and not in a charming way. There's a fun spirit to certain scenes where magicians duel and curses are placed, but it's not quite there.

• Sep 13, 2010

Just as insane as the first!

Just as insane as the first!

• Jan 15, 2010

A little uneven but still has plenty of the weird, freaky Black Magic gross out stuff that you expect. A worthy sequel.

• Dec 18, 2009

I'm pretty new to Shaw Brothers horror films. I don't find them scary but still pretty creepy. I enjoy the atmosphere. Big fan of Ku Feng and he was great here at the villain who will cast spells for love or death for the right price, but decides to interfere with a client's plans for his own benefit. If I'm going to see more from this genre though I think I'll need them to go even further -- we're talking Boxer's Omen far, which I liked more.

• Bruce B Super Reviewer
    Jun 28, 2009

I am new to Shaw Brothers Films, This one was filmed in 1975, There are two rival sorcerers who practice Black Magic. One sells his spells and the other seems to try and cancel those spills. Young Man is going to marry his sweetheart but his boss at work a sexy female wants him, so she hires the sorcerer to put a spell on him that works until the other sorcerer takes it off. In this Shaw Brothers film there is no Kung Fu Fighting. But there are some good special effects for 1975. Only 3 stars thought.

• Nov 14, 2008

lurid and colorful Shaw Brothers curiosity. fun story, just a little too slow for top marks.