Black Mama, White Mama - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Black Mama, White Mama Reviews

April 6, 2010
If you havent seen, you NEED to!!!
February 20, 2010
One year before they teamed up for the lady gladiator flick The Arena, Pam Grier and Margaret Markov made this delightfully sleazafied version of The Defiant Ones. After they escape the clutches of an evil lesbian prison guard, Grier and Markov must ignore their mutual hatred of each other and do battle with the law and an army of drug runners; all the while shackled to one another. Even though I absolutely loved Sid Haigā??s cowboy criminal, it is extremely frustrating that his story and Grier & Markovā??s story never collide. A little long at an hour and thirty minutes (not uncommon to the genre) you fans out there will really enjoy the violent shoot out climax. VF.
January 6, 2010
If you like very low budget "Blacksploitation" films you'll love this. It is so wrong that instead of the Action/Adventure it is categorized as it is really a Comedy. -Especially like the Western gun fight sound track used for "modern" repeating weapons. Bad writing, bad acting, bad casting... this flick is too much fun!
January 3, 2010
What starts off as a women-in-prison flick (and a gloriously tawdry one at that) turns into a kinda jumbled but still amusing rehash of The Defiant Ones. Throw in some Philippino Revolutionaries, Sid Haig, killer pimps, and the leads disguised as nuns and you have a pretty fun (if not actually good) flick.
October 31, 2009
Day 2 well under way - begins with film #11 - Black Mama White Mama, holy moly, this film starts with a group nude shower scene, it's too early I don't think I'm ready!!! It's Sunday morning! Pretty sure that despite this films ascertations, womens prisons in the 70s werent rife with hot lesbianism and soapy showers! Actually, this was an interesting look at some classic Pam Grier. Pure 70s blaxploitation meets sexploitation in all of its glory. Based in a Manilla female correction facility and revolving around a prison break and a political revolution. Be prepared for lots of boobs and lots of people get shot in new and inventive ways...not for most, but will please a lot. I think I might need to get my hands on some Foxy Brown or Coffy next....
September 17, 2009
So, this is the girl version of Tony and Sidney movie"
June 23, 2009
I enjoyable early seventies movie. Has Pam Grier and Margaret Markov as two criminals who are tied up with each other and have to decide on which way to go. The beginning of the film features a very long shower sequence in a Women rehabilitation center. The movies has some violent shoot outs and although Pam Grier is starring there are the two subplots that are connected with each girl. They show much of them as well but mostly for either violence or sexual stuff. Sid Haig has also been in two other Pam Grier movies that I have watched and has always played a different character. It is interesting at how this films of the early seventies have a certain enjoyable style that I like. Overall, an enjoyable movie because of how the storyline moves so fast and the film does lost its pacing.
May 20, 2009
not bad! well she's (pam grier) lickin' it big on the 'L-word' now.
½ May 17, 2009
I am still watching this one... It is an okay blaxploitation move.
½ March 24, 2009
This is a dated, women-in-prison blaxploitation film. I thought BMWM had a more interesting concept than most of its kind, but it's still not quite as memorable as Coffy or Foxy Brown. Having said that, you know anything with Pam Grier in it is bound for badassness, and this sure is no exception. Overall, a gratuitously entertaining timewarp into the 70's.
½ February 27, 2009
only watched for a few minutes and wtf! but has a funny terrible movie quality
February 24, 2009
A thoroughly sleazy and enjoyable sexploitation flick.

It's a glorious sight to see, all the bad clothing, the 'rebels' who spend half the film waiting around for the blonde white girl, it's pretty amusing.

Definitely recommended.
½ November 20, 2008
Very amusing "update" of the Sidney Poitier film, hehehe.
November 16, 2008
Exactly what you expect from a 70s women in prison exploitation film and has some unintentionally hilarious bits.
October 4, 2008
I've never seen any other movies in this genre and I thought it was fascinating...so very very early 70s. Up to now, I just knew Pam Grier for her role on the lame-ass "L-word" so it was cool to see her in her heyday.
September 18, 2008
Heikko elokuva. Vain hardcore Pam Grier faneille.
September 6, 2008
quality was like PRISONER CELL BLOCK H with good looking chicks and a bigger budget :)
½ August 7, 2008
Has all the great exploitation elements including Sid Haig.