Black Moon Rising - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Black Moon Rising Reviews

August 23, 2016
Most of the reviews seem a little harsh in my opinion considering this movie was made 30 years ago.
½ July 18, 2016
I wasn't really impressed by this cliched story of a master thief, his plot to steal a fantastic automobile from an impenetrable fortress with the aid of the most inept pair of auto designers and Linda Hamilton at her 80's hair-worst. Every now and then there's a good stunt.
½ May 18, 2016
Black Moon Rising is surprisingly well-written and acted by Jones, Hamilton, and Vaughn. For being a bit of an 80s wash, it holds up pretty nicely despite its dated effects. From the beginning of the film, we Jones enter a convenient store and from that moment he steals the show: a young kid walks looking to rob the place, to which Jones warns him an understated way, not to give up his life. This moment indicates to us that this is more than a routine caper picture: it's a multi-layered character portrait hidden beneath the subtle tones of the action.
That being said, there are some big plot holes that bothered me, such as, how has the big corporation that is stealing cars not been found out by the police or Feds? The movie doesn't concern itself with these questions but is more focused on the emotional boundaries these characters are willing to exceed in order to pursue their needs.
January 7, 2016
This decent action movie stars Tommy Lee JONES and Linda HAMILTON (in all her 80's splendor) as car thieves stealing an experimental supercar.
April 28, 2015
What?! I'd never see this movie, I thought Furious 7 was the first movie to jump a car between two buildings ;-)
This movie's plotholes, dialog and bad acting are redeemed by sheer 80s crazy hilarity
½ January 15, 2015
I can't believe that John Carpenter wrote this absurd movie. It's not cheesy enough to be entertaining and definitely not a serious film. Black Moon Rising is just another mediocre eighties schlock fest. This one is only for hardcore John Carpenter fans.
October 19, 2014
Dumb 80s action flick is only of note because it stars Tommy Lee Jones in a role that seemed more befitting of Chuck Norris or Lorenzo Lamas. However, the script is based on a story from John Carpenter (I'm curious what his original version was like) and the film features a stronger cast than t his lame brain production deserved, which includes Linda Hamilton, Robert Vaughn, Richard Jaeckel, Lee Ving, Bubba Smith, William Sanderson, Keenan Wynn and Nick Cassavetes. There's also a Lalo Schifrin score. Unfortunately, the lame story about a car thief Jones working with the FBI to recover some random McGuffin is no better than your average Andy Sidaris script.
April 6, 2014
Working for the US Government to retrieve a cassette with incriminating evidence from a suspicious company, Sam Quint (Tommy Lee Jones), a former CIA agent and professional thief runs into Marvin Ringer (Lee Ving), another hitman he replaced, who is after the same cassette. In a desperate attempt to evade Ringer and get the tape back to the government official Johnson (Bubba Smith), Quint hides the cassette in a 300-MPH prototype vehicle, the Black Moon, which is on a transporter destined for a public presentation in Los Angeles. Before Quint can recover the cassette, Nina (Linda Hamilton) steals the Black Moon, with Quint on her tail, and returns it to a warehouse, the headquarters for the car thief ring headed by Ed Ryland (Robert Vaughn). Quint must lure Nina into helping him recover the Black Moon, with the help of its driver and his crew, and make it out alive with the cassette and the car before the next day...

"Black Moon Rising" is a classic 80´s heist thriller with a twist in the shape of a special car (that looks slightly ridiculous to be honest). Tommy Lee Jones is solid as Quint and Linda Hamilton the same as Nina. The storyline and editing is somewhat wobbly and not fully satisfying, but there´s still action and suspense. What struck me when re-seeing this was how beautiful Linda Hamilton was/is. Great presence and with an aura that stands out.
December 10, 2013
Fun, rousing thriller from the pen of John Carpenter. I loved watching this thru the 80s goggles, back when Tommy Lee Jones had hair, and Robert Vaughn always played the villain. Sweet!
October 9, 2013
When master thief Sam Quint (Tommy Lee Jones) is hired by the government to steal top-secret data from a crime organization, he hides the stolen data in the experimental supercar, The Black Moon. But when the car is stolen by high-tech auto thief Nina (Linda Hamilton), Quint must pull off the most daring heist of all: break into an impenetrable skyscraper and steal it back. With time running out and all sides closing in, Quint and Nina take The Black Moon on one final ride towards a shattering climax of sky-high suspense.

also stars Robert Vaughn, Richard Jaeckel, Lee Ving, Bubba Smith, Dan Shor, William Sanderson and Keenan Wynn.

directed by Harley Cokeliss.
August 19, 2013
Some 80's flicks need to be left back in the 80's. Was still funny to watch just for the cheesy 80's style.
June 20, 2013
Tommy Lee Jones "rises" to the occasion--Good 80's Super-Car auction!!
½ February 25, 2013

"I need that funny looking car."-Sam Quint (Tommy Lee Jones)

I just have one question, is it possible to get blue balls on top of blue balls?
February 3, 2013
I liked it, it was kinda cool with a cool soundtrack
½ November 11, 2012
Great action flick, it's a lot of fun!
½ November 3, 2012
the script is by Carpenter,but this film is directed by some guy called Harley Cokeliss.Perhaps that's why it gets lower rate!!
March 10, 2012
I don't care! I really enjoyed two very loveable leads in a very thin sci-fi noir.
January 18, 2012
the top action flick of 1986, history in the making!
½ December 23, 2011
Average movie on pseudo futuristic technology with some action. Forgettable.