Black Rock - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Black Rock Reviews

April 16, 2016
Two crazy bitches kill some men, because you know, men are bad.
December 8, 2015
A simple yet effective survival movie. The characters are believable and work well with each other. While it can be a little predictable, it is also realistic in the approach.
It's short, but does not overstay its welcome.
November 22, 2015
Why was the rating so low? This was an alright movie! Certainly better than 48%
½ November 4, 2015
A little predictable given the situation and location, but passable as a desperate stay alive thriller.
October 16, 2015
Mark Duplass writes, his wife, Katie Aselton, directs/acts. Tense, short, hardcore. Available on Amazon Prime Instant Video.
½ September 29, 2015
Flawed but serviceable exploitation flick.
September 15, 2015
It's the classic misogynistic psychos theme, so women can identify this as a little too close to home. It's a very tense film, but not exactly breakthrough.
½ September 4, 2015
Let's have some fucking fun.

Three best friends growing up head out on a camping trip on a deserted island to help clear up past disputes and form a better bond moving forward. When they arrive and begin settling down they run into three recently returned home soldiers hunting. Some drinking and camping ensue and things get out of hand quickly.

"You don't have fucking cancer?"

Katie Aselton, director of The Freebie, delivers Black Rock in his second major motion picture. The storyline for this picture was just okay in a female's Deliverance kind of way, minus the intensity. The action and character development were both very mediocre.

"Get your fucking gun."

I came across this on Netflix and had thought I had already seen it, gave it another viewing, and discovered I had actually never seen this film. This was very average and wasn't as intense as it could have been but had a few good kill scenes. Overall, I'd only watch this if nothing else is on.

"We are in this together."

Grade: C
May 13, 2015
The movie is very realistic and that gives the audience a sense of genuine emotions as they watch the movie. The major flaw however, is how much action it lacks with such a thrilling plot.
May 13, 2015
An intense thriller with a good plot. Black Rock delivers the right amount of suspense and a satisfying ending.
April 30, 2015
So there's this part where they have to take all their clothes off to not get hypothermia. It was kind of bad ass.
Harlequin68
½ April 28, 2015
In "Black Rock," everything goes well at first for Sarah(Kate Bosworth) and Louise(Lake Bell) when they travel to a favorite island from their childhood. At least until Louise finds herself ambushed when it turns out that her former friend Abby(Katie Aselton, who also directed) has also been invited. Which makes all three sharing a tent kind of awkward. But blunting the pain of various and sundry betrayals is them unexpectedly encountering Henry(Will Bouvier), another childhood friend.

With her second feature "Black Rock," Katie Aselton with determined assurance turns what could have just as easily been another exploitation flick with its suspense and brutal violence into something much more meaningful, capped by a truly memorable final shot. Not only does the movie have a neatly anti-nostalgic mood, but also has quite a lot to say about the bonds of female friendship. And that's not to mention, considering the war references, some thoughtful allegory on that subject, too.
½ March 29, 2015
A good little time filler that at less than 80 minutes long has just enough action to entertain. With only six characters in the mix, it's easy to get to grips with who's who in this with three childhood girlfriends reuniting for a break away to rekindle their youthful memories. Unfortunately not at is well between two of them given that things turned sour years ago when two of the ladies slept with the same man. However the third girl has brought them together in an attempt to get over all that and enjoy a desert island trip together. This isn't quite as luxurious as it sounds when three boys enter the fray, as a drunken evening ends with one of them suffering fatal injuries when making sexual advances to a flirting girl. What follows is then a boys vs girls battle to the death around the island, with the gents seemingly having the upper hand given they're armed with rifles and are ex servicemen. Naturally this just paves the way for our underdog heroines to evidence that females are the greater sex and promote that girl power vibe! Hmmm! It's clearly very low budget, the island visibly looks like a hellhole so I'm unsure why the girls would want to go there, and why the boys are 'hunting' on the island in the first instance is beyond me as there would clearly be no animals on there. It has many pitfalls but stripping all that down, it's just a very borderline action film that brings nothing new to the screen and offers little in the line of twists, gore, scares, or intensity. I'm not against it in any way as it is what it is and it has provided a pleasant film on limited resources. Would I watch it again? I doubt it, not unless it was simply just running in the background whilst I was doing something else. As far as I'm concerned 'Black Rock' can disappear down a black hole!
February 13, 2015
While it was somewhat predictable if and when someone was going to be picked off, I have to admit that I was pretty nervous watching this movie. Three women (and my age, not teenagers!) try to rekindle their friendship by spending time on a deserted island and when they see three men hunting deer approach, it was freaky! I guess because I'm a girl... I saw them and thought "Rape!" which is so much scarier than Predator or the Thing or some movie monster. I thought the performances were pretty "real" and the girls all acted like girls I have known. It felt short, but I got a better movie than I expected to get.
January 13, 2015
Riveting and entertaining.
January 6, 2015
ša commence comme un film de filles...
November 2, 2014
This is probably the most out right feminist horror film (actually made by a woman) I have ever seen. One scene even has the female heroines stripped down to nothing, creating spears with twigs. The message is clear with this movie. Men are disgusting and women are flawed, but mean well. Luckily, the film manages to escape proverbial "man hate" by giving the male villains a reason to be shattered. They are war veterans dealing with serious psychological trauma. Many scenes hint at something greater like this, but what we end up with isn't the ground breaking feminist hit the filmmakers wanted. These parts are too underdeveloped to mean anything. Even so, we do get an incredibly tight and relentlessly suspenseful genre film. It may be less subtle, but it pack one hell of a punch. You care about these characters, the cinematography is gorgeous, and nothing ever feels unrealistic. Black Rock is a hell of a ride.
½ October 8, 2014
The indie horror film Black Rock delivers some intense scares, but is a little light on character and story. When three childhood friends reunion for a girls' weekend camping trip they end up crossing a group of hunters that are out for blood. Starring Kate Bosworth, Lake Bell, and Katie Aselton, the film has some talent. And the directing is remarkably gritty, which creates a lot of atmospheric tension. But not much time is given to developing the characters, which makes it hard to connect with them. Yet despite its weaknesses, Black Rock has some frightening moments and some terrifying chills.
½ September 21, 2014
The only good thing about this movie is seeing Kate Bosworth get shot.
½ September 18, 2014
i really like mark duplass and i saw that he wrote the screenplay for this, but sadly it was not that good, the characters' attitudes seem to fluctuate for no reason, the villains are over the top and unrealistic, there are a bunch of cliched moments, and despite being only 75min before credits, it still felt long, i like those 3 main actresses, but they came off annoying here