Black Rock - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Black Rock Reviews

April 22, 2014
girls meet crazy war vets on deserted island Mayhem ensues after one of the girls flirts her way into an attempted rape and ends up killing her attacker. other then a few moments where the girls act frantic and make rash choices they seemed to keep it together long enuff to fight back and take it to the remaining pursuers. not spectacular but not that bad. some pretty nasty scenes and killer 2 girl on 1 guy fight at the end. note to self never let wife go camping on creepy island with her friends alone
April 17, 2014
will NEVER understand why people especially families with kids and women would want to go to a deserted island for rest & relaxation.
½ April 16, 2014
Ok, I think the writers/actors/ directors think this movie is alot cooler than it really is
½ April 8, 2014
Decent little gender-swapping Deliverance indie from a screenplay by Mark Duplass and both directed & co-starring his The League alum Katie Aselton. There's a little originality as three girlfriends intend to spend a weekend on an island they frequented as children until they run afoul of some dishonorably discharged military men out on a hunting trip, but not enough to give a full-fledged recommendation. Like, the opening half hour in particular is, like, rough sledding as we, like, have to listen to these, like, grown women, like, babble like they're, like, fifteen again. After Kate Bosworth's character lies about having a disease to get her way, it takes a near-fatal encounter to get back on her side again. Most noteworthy moment has Lake Bell giving an extremely convincing teeth-chattering evocation of hypothermia.
½ April 7, 2014
A little slow but a great movie
½ March 22, 2014
79 mins films are always going to get positive responses from me!

Pulp fiction B movie fare, that doesn't quite achieve the tension it aspires to. However I found it entertaining throughout and I certainly had an affinity with the leads.
February 22, 2014
This cast are good well besides one who bugs. Its starts really well and has a good feel then once the men arrive its all down hill fast.
Not Scary or thrilling just a bit of a damp squib
February 19, 2014
Not awful, with an OK premise, but doesn't really deliver, especially in the second half. This mumble core thing where they don't have a script and improv the whole thing doesn't really work for me either. It's almost always painfully obvious when they are improving.
February 10, 2014
The plot/premise of this movie is paper thin and the "bad guys" are not great actors but you know what makes up for that? Nudity. 2 of the three female leads (director Katie Aselton from the "League" and the smoking hot Lake Bell) take their clothes off for a good 7-10 minute stretch of the film and in a 79 minutes movie that's a pretty solid ratio. Worth the watch right there.
February 7, 2014
This was on the "bad" side of average. This was another movie where I ended up rooting for the deaths of all major characters. Also, there's one point where the characters "strip off their clothes to stay warm". Just 6 minutes of naked girls talking, which needless to say did nothing for me.
February 4, 2014
Looked descent from the start but turned out to be a generic, stink pile 1 / 5 stars and I am being generous.
½ January 29, 2014

I usually love these types of moives, but here, I didn't care for any of the characters.
½ January 26, 2014
On the weak side this one , simple story-line
½ January 12, 2014
Terrible acting, affects and unoriginal storyline.
½ January 11, 2014
Not a good start when after ten minutes I want all three of the female characters to die. That said, the chase was pretty tense and worth the awful dialogue and terrible acting from Bosworth
January 1, 2014
Begynte for såvidt bra men endte dårlig.
½ December 31, 2013
A derivative and ugly movie that amplifies the cynacism that I can't stand in movies right now.
½ December 30, 2013
Seen better, seen much worse. There are many worse ways to spend an hour and a half. Performances all solid but storyline very predictable.
December 29, 2013
A combination of the Last House on the Left and The Pest, it was a short, fast-paced man-vs-woman-vs-nature story. The writing was, I think, intentionally bad in some parts and if it didn't throw you off, you appreciated the banter it caused. This is not a movie that will tell you everything about everyone before it gets going, and if you need that to associate with the characters, this might not be the film for you.

For the reviewers who say the Descent is the same thing forgets that while the Descent started strong, as soon as the zombie things showed up, they turned a taut woman-vs-nature survival story into a cheap, predictable monster action movie.
December 29, 2013
This movie has the look and feel of a "B" picture. It looked like a high school or college first film attempt. The story idea was a good one, if not an original. But, the plot was poorly conceived and executed. The dialogue was badly written. There is very little to recommend it.

I was sucked in by the presence of Mark Duplass as the writer. I also noted that Kate Bosworth was involved. Neither of these actors/writers was enough to save this movie.

Save yourself some precious time and your money; don't see this flic.