The Black Swan - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Black Swan Reviews

½ March 11, 2011
I'll bring you a necklace made from his teeth

Captain Morgan is a notorious pirate that has been appointed by the king to rule over Jamaica as a royal ambassador. Some of Morgan's former men decide to start their own pirate behavior and begin terrorizing the Caribbean. Captain Morgan sends his right hand man to bring down the pirates. If his right hand man cannot bring down the pirates, the Jamaican locals may mutiny and impeach their new ambassador.

"Do me a favor and don't make me angry. I'm trying to act like gentleman."

Henry King, director of Untamed, The Earth is Mine, Carousel, Deep Waters, Prince of Foxes, Maryland, Jesse James, and Hell Harbor, delivers The Black Swan. The storyline for this picture is interesting and contains a solid blend of romance, pirate action scenes, solid character development, and a marvelous script. The cast delivers breathtaking performances and includes Tyrone Power, Anthony Quinn, and Maureen O'hara.

"I am a better man drunk than sober for any kind of work."

I came across this movie while in the process of DVR'ing another picture. I was intrigued by the title of this movie as well as the synopsis and decided to give it a shot. I felt the execution by the cast and the delivery of the script was perfect. I adored the interaction between the characters as well as the pirate subplot. This movie is definitely worth your time.

"Love, gold, and adventure."

Grade: A
February 11, 2011
In 1942, The Black Swan was probably the greatest thing ever. I'm sure I would've gone to see it every night of the week if I saw this movie nearly 70 years ago. But since that's not the case and I recently saw the superior Adventures of Robin Hood, The Black Swan is merely just okay. The opening is pretty strong and the back and forth between Tyrone Power and Maureen O'Hara (if I had to narrow it down for only one reason for anyone to see this movie it would be her beautiful bitchiness) was fun. Throw in the rest of the cast and some fun action and its worth the watch.
February 8, 2011
I've got all the classics under my belt now that I have TMC (Turner Classic Movies), though my first shot with it wasn't too substantial. The Black Swan's first twenty-minutes begin with a hefty bit of action,--sword battles with some Pirates yelling argh and all that jazz--, and slightly develops the whole plot structure. Though with all this being said, many attractions I have with the genre are not fully explored.

The interwoven narrative is rather complex, yet easy to depict. This Academy Award winner starts with a man, Jamie Waring (Tyrone Power), on the threat of torture if he doesn't cooperate, and tell them where his Captain, sir Henry Morgan (Laird Cregar), is located. He diverts to the noble figure, and knocks off a couple witty jokes. Before his sentence to be tortured is fulfilled, Jamie's fellow pirates enter the building of which he was being held.

Jamie Waring is let go and sir Henry Morgan becomes King. Though with him being under the king's wing and having many treasures, Jamie falls in love with the previous king's daughter, Lady Margaret Denby (Maureen O'Hara).

The acting is not to my standards of good. Though the actors have a couple scenes of realism, they mostly delve into '40's melodrama. Jamie's love interest, played by Maureen O'Hara, can release her fair share of involving emotions. Though lightly, the main protagonist, played by Tyrone Power, can too; but, in hindsight, it all just seems so fake.

I did enjoy all the battle sequences that were the doing for its visual effects nomination, but the climax is very much unfulfilling, in my desire to seam the narrative together, and relentlessly dull. All together, I feel The Black Swan manages to lighten a realistic battle, but just never really follows through enough on characterization and narrative structure to be labelled an epic.
January 31, 2011
Natalie Portman was brillant in this mov- Wait a second...........
½ January 15, 2011
Oldie and not so goodie for me!
½ January 11, 2011
I loved this movie. It has been remade or forms the basis for SO many of the following pirate movies it is ridiculous. It also established the story of the misunderstood but "good hearted" pirate.
January 4, 2011
The Black Swan is a wonderful film. The cinematography is excellent and well done. The sets and costumes are incredible. Tyrone Power and Maureen O'Hara give remarkable performances. The screenplay is well written. Henry King did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed this motion picture because of the adventure and history. The Black Swan is highly recommended.
½ November 16, 2010
Tuesday, November 16, 2010

(1942) The Black Swan
ADVENTURE/ ROMANCE/ ACTION

Spain had just signed a treaty with another country -I forgot which other country! So the leader of the so-called pirates of that other country decide to lay down it's arms and come to a truce by agreement of some sort and by electing the leader of the pirates to be a governer of Jamaica! Between the two second-in-command pirates, one decides to follow the him wherever he goes as opposed to the other decides to go the other way! Double crossings galore and treachery happen along the way!
Little movie making little impact especially the action which is not bad since it does appear that the actors were using real swords but the 'speeding the camera' to make it seemed like they're really sword duelling is quite evident here as with most other sword fighting films made during that era! As well, the film doesn't seem to address all the bad people that were involved with the treachery!

I liked this film for it's idea but it seemed that the director of this film had already used up all it's budget and had to settle with this quick ending! A very low "B" or c+!

3 out of 4
½ October 3, 2010
This is one of my favourite pirate movies. It has it all, action, adventure, excitement, drama, romance, even a bit of humour. I loved it.
September 5, 2010
I liked this a lot more than I thought I would. The sword-fighting and action scenes bored me, but the performances are fantastic. Tyrone Power is dripping with charisma (although his bordering-on-abusive courtship of Maureen O'Hara is slightly disturbing). Laird Cregar and Oscar winners George Sanders, Anthony Quinn, and Thomas Mitchell are all great. Won the Oscar for best cinematography, color.
August 19, 2010
if the Pirates of the Caribbean ride literally came to life this is what it would look like. awesome.
½ July 5, 2010
Clean, swashbukeling fun, but due to thin characters, it's easily swiped from our collective memories.
May 29, 2010
Para ser una película antigua avanza bastante rápido. Bonitos colores.
May 13, 2010
A decent pirate flick based on real life events. Now I know the origins of Captain Morgan!
April 23, 2010
Not bad fare. It seems like it's destined to be excellent, but falls short. Tyrone Power is excellent in Zorro, but he's just a little lackluster here. I think the producers were expecting high box office because he didn't wear a shirt through most of it. I was surprised with his character's behaviour towards Maureen O'Hara. It was rough and caustic and lacking charm; it really takes someone like Errol Flynn to pull off the rakishness he tried. Not a bad watch, though. Fun.
April 10, 2010
Some good swashbuckling fun with a great cast.
March 27, 2010
Anthony Quinn and Maureen O'Hara are fabulous! Boys liked this as much as the Sea Hawk :)
flixsterman
March 26, 2010
A lesser swashbuckler that's fun but much more about sword fights and cannon fire than it is about story or character development.

NOTE: Look for a very young Anthony Quinn in a minor role.
January 23, 2010
As I say a bunch of times, I love a good swashbuckler; especially a sea-faring swashbuckler, and this is one of those sea-faring films I like. This film is adapted from Rafael Sabatini's novel, about a some-what-reformed pirate Jamie (Tyrone Power) falls in love with the Governor's daughter Margaret (The Hunchback of Notre Dame's Maureen O'Hara), and takes his reluctant love to capture an unreformed pirate Captain Leech (Disney fans would recognize his name as the fellow played the voice of Shere Khan from The Jungle Book). Jamie eventually wins over Margaret ultimately by having respect for her despite their mutual arrogance

This adventure-drama reflects a violent world where both pirates and governments use force to get their way; government, being bigger and stronger, almost always wins, but some pirates love their personal freedom. You know something, not many people today know of Rafael Sabatini nor his books; but I have through this film and I had read the original book and I love both of them - book and film. Of course, in the book, it is different: Leach boarded and captured a ship called the Centaur, which numbers among its passengers two people named Charles de Bernis & Priscilla Harrabine...not Jamie & Margaret. By his quick wit and bold front, De Bernis saves the lives of his fellow passengers, and for the special protection of Priscilla, he passes her off as his wife; just like in the film.

So overall, I enjoy this film; it has everything a good pirate film got's: Adventure,Love, and Treachery.