Black Swan - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Black Swan Reviews

July 27, 2016
Powerfully intense and hugely influenced by Stanley Kubrick. Black Swan is a psychological nightmare that rides on Darren Aronofsky's sleek direction and a grand performance from Natalie Portman
July 26, 2016
You know when people speak of something flowing so well that it plays out like a ballet? The directing, editing, sound design, and cinematography could not have possibly complimented the story and overall subject matter any better. Aronofsky continues to prove his worth.
July 24, 2016
Totalmente perturbadora
July 18, 2016
We've seen movie about obsession before. This is however one of the few I can remember off the top of my head that the obsession isn't really over someone else, i.e. a stalker, but about yourself. The quest for perfection in yourself for a craft that you will do anything to achieve. Often trying to blur the line between reality and disillusion the film does a good job at that. Maybe not as good as initial response, but still interesting.
July 17, 2016
A very unique film that is appropriately eerie and compellingly daring.
½ July 9, 2016
Loved the dancing, wished there was more of it. I had to close my eyes for some of the disturbing scenes.
June 29, 2016
If you're looking for a light-hearted movie or a chick flick, turn away; this isn't for you. The camera work is perfect: chaotic and frenzied, embodying the paranoia and psychosis that Natalie Portman's character becomes. She has what it takes to be the perfect, demure White Swan, but can she be that unpredictable seductress that is the Black Swan?
June 27, 2016
Boring!!! Boring!!! Boring!!! Boring!!! Boring!!! Boring!!!
June 22, 2016
Natalie Portman turns in a strong performance in this film as a ballet dancer that wants stardom but is slowly led down another path. Very artistically done by Aronofsky and the film won awards. The story is a little confusing toward the end and the film has to be watched again in order to piece everything together. It also ends a little abruptly.
June 6, 2016
Beautifully dark in its portrayal, "Black Swan" delivers a powerful and twisted tale of passion meeting obsession. Natalie Portman was born for the role.
May 31, 2016
A thought provoking psychological thriller about the anxiety of being replaced. Portman stars as the titular character who is pushing herself to play both the white swan and the black swan in another adaptation of the Swan Lake, things took a dark turn when she slowly lost control of herself. Intense and beautiful, Black Swan is probably the best performance from Portman, Kunis was a good comic relief too.

I think the writing and special effects deserve some praise too, the hallucination scene was rather eerie, the realism also worked really well to explore the psychology of the characters. A must watch.
May 29, 2016
Supposedly a psycho-drama, its transparency and superficiality make it funnier than it is dramatic. It's more bullshit from the director of Pi.
May 23, 2016
Black Swan is directed by Darren Aronofsky, and it stars Natalie Portman, Vincent Cassel, and Mila Kunis in a psychological thriller about Nina (Natalie Portman) who got the part as the Swan Queen in a ballet musical called Swan Lake. However, tensions start rising up when Thomas (Vincent Cassel) wants Nina to give 100 percent even though she keeps trying to do that, and also when Lily (Mila Kunis) starts showing up to ballet. I've been a fan of Darren Aronofsky's work, and I remember loving this movie, but since it's been a long time that I've watched it, I don't remember much about why I love Black Swan. When I got to watching it, now I understand why. Natalie Portman is fantastic in acting like an innocent girl that gets more and more released out of herself as the film progresses, and she's also talented in dancing too that I'm glad that she won an Oscar for it. Vincent Cassel does a good job of acting like a total d-bag that only wanted the best out of the main performer. Mila Kunis is also great in it as a bit of a seductive girl that plays it in a way that the main character feels cautious around. The score by Clint Mansell is amazing that definitely fits with the tone of the film, and the musical Swan Lake itself. The plot is really good that there are still parts of the film that were unpredictable. The writing by Andres Heinz, Mark Heyman, and John McLaughlin is very well written that creates some memorably complex characters. The direction by Darren Aronofsky is well shotted, and when it got to the ending, it was very unexpected, but it's satisfying to know where it was going that it lead to an amazing ending. Black Swan is a masterpiece that it's one of the best films of 2010.
½ May 23, 2016
A compelling, powerful and intense psychological thriller acting as a viceral metaphor for achieving perfection. Incredible performance from Natalie Portman, ably supported by Mila Kunis and Vincent Cassel, and directly in effortless boldness by the terrific Darren Aronofsky.
½ May 21, 2016
Portman is so hot and does a great job in this. Very creepy in a good way- in the same way as Requiem For A Dream. Her descent into insanity is depicted perfectly, which is what makes this such a good film.
May 20, 2016
Wow! That's all I have to say for this movie.
There is a lot of symbolism and character development in this movie and in the end that's what makes this movie so GREAT! I would categorize this movie as an action/drama thriller.
May 16, 2016
Fierce, passionate, mysterious, and captivating. Black Swan dives into the tough life of competitive ballet, and doesn't miss any details. The film held such an elegant tone throughout the entirety of the story as if it was a ballet itself. Darren Aronofsky truly showcased his unique and bold direction with the film's tone. The story is a work of art full of interpretation, symbols, and emotion.

I feel Natalie Portman is underrated as an actress, and needs much more attention in artistic films such as Black Swan. Portman played an incredibly difficult role and owned her character on the big screen. She was complex, mysterious, and relatable.

The cast had chemistry that genuinely worked. Mila Kunis was a perfect rival for Portman and they contrasted very well. It was easy to see their passion for the art of ballet as they competed to be the best.

Overall, Black Swan was refreshing and original. With a beautifully unique story and brilliant cast, Black Swan was a very enjoyable experience.

4 Stars.
½ May 8, 2016
Quite good. Almost there.
May 2, 2016
probably the best psychological drama movie...also highly inspired from perfect blue..
½ May 1, 2016
Black Swan (2010) ??? 1/2
Natalie Portman won a well-deserved Oscar for her intense, no-holds-barred performance of a ballet dancer who's lead in "Swan Lake" causes her to slowly lose her sanity. Some felt this story was absurd, I thought it was exhilarating, with flamboyant, in-your-face style of filmmaking and Portman's powerful performance, which is indeed a tour de force. However, in spite of this film's blessings, it's tough going at times, and the script occasionally slides into conventional territory. Matthew Libatique's cinematography is simply extraordinary.