Black Swan - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Black Swan Reviews

February 7, 2017
too dark for me...but I had wanted to see this for a long time! I just didn't realize what it was about!
January 26, 2017
Black Swan 2k11 - WTF for the first hour and a bit, Good lesbian sex scene, Last 20 minutes "oh yeah oh yeah i see wha this is all about"... kind of like inception.
January 8, 2017
Outlandishly entertaining is right. This movie kept me on the edge of my seat! Even though I already had the ending revealed, it didn't deter me from loving this film. Absolutely brilliant! A beautiful masterpiece! Go watch it now!!!!
½ January 4, 2017
Simply put, this mindf@ck movie it's marvelous.
December 18, 2016
Loved this movie, especially for the psychotic aspect, and also who doesn't like a good ballet? Natalie Portman plays this role beautifully and makes it really believable. Be prepared to have some "Whaaaaat" moments!
December 11, 2016
Ok so this movie was pretty boring yet fascinating too watch at times though the story made little sense.
2/5
½ December 5, 2016
so stupid that it becomes a comedy, although i know that wasn't the director's intention...
November 24, 2016
Portman is dragged into insanity in what is for sure one of the most extraordinary performances of her career, and this is a spectacular (and fantastically directed) film that dives into the psyche of a disturbed character with a lot of symbolism and an incredible intensity.
November 5, 2016
Do you have what it takes?
½ November 4, 2016
"Black Swan" is the 2010 psychological drama film directed by Darren Aronofsky ("The Wrestler"), written by Andres Heinz, Mark Heyman, and John McLaughlin and starring Natalie Portman. The film's plot follows Nina (Portman) a New York Bailarina that gets cast to play both The White Sawn and The Black Swan in her ballet company's new adaptation of Swan Lake. Nina is perfect to play the fragile, innocent White Swan but struggles to play the darker more sensual Black Swan. As Nina finds herself trying to capture the essence of the challenging role, she discovers it to be harder than she thought. The supporting cast includes Mila Kunis as Lily, Vince Cassel as Thomas, Barbara Hershey as Nina's mom, Erica, and Winona Ryder as Beth.

"Black Swan" is a beautiful film that delivers the thrills with one of the (if not the) best performance of 2010. The filmmakers explore deep into character, distancing itself from a plot that focuses more on the story to a plot that makes its main character the central piece, the plot. The film's main theme is the study of Nina's psychological and physical struggles, as she tries and achieves perfection in her role as The Black Swans. A metaphor of sorts, the film shows us Nina getting worst and worst, day by day, getting constant hallucinations, many times seeing a hostile, darker self (much like the Black Swan) trying to somehow take over her. This can be interpreted as simply Nina's obvious pressure for a difficult role. Nina being this fragile sweet girl, who's perfect for the role of White Swan, trying her hardest to become someone else. This other version of herself, in her dreams and hallucinations, is the Black Swan, slowly taking over Nina, Nina embraces this other self, aiming for perfection, which comes with its price. Her hallucinations in which Lily appears could represent the possible sexual attraction Nina had towards her, that would later transform into a feeling of anger and rivalry as Lily eventually becomes Nina's alternate in Swan Lake. It could be that Nina never had any hallucinations, it was simply the beauty of filmmaking, as Nina's humongous pressure is shown through visual imagery or hallucinations.

Aronofsky captures the film's scenes greatly, the ballet scenes being especially beautiful. Using Light, sound, fantastic music and amazing camera work to his favor, Aronofsky shoots beautiful scenes, that I wish lasted longer in the film. The film's music is beautiful with both Aronofsky and the film's original composer, Clint Mansell, basing the film's music on the ballet's original music composed by legendary composer Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky. But none of these scenes would be so great without the inclusion of the beautiful ballet, with gorgeous choreography and beautiful costume designs with the camera playing a fundamental part in these scenes, as Aronofsky puts us up close to the actors making the scenes even better with that extra touch of directing.

Tough the one thing that overcomes all, the complicated, well putt together theme, the beautifully staged scenes, and everything else is, Natalie Portman. The actress is here, how no one has seen her before. Already growing up doing hard demanding roles since the beginning of her career with the likes of "Léon: the professional" and "Heat" to then get older and act in even more complex features such as "V for Vendetta", "Closer" and "Brothers" to only then, get to what in my opinion is her best work to date in "Black Swan". Portman is simply fantastic in here, the actress is flawless playing the fragile, complex and great character of Nina, doing great in every scene including the beautiful ballet scenes for which the actress took lessons to perform. Opposite to Vicent Cassel, in some of the film's most memorable, character-driving and sensual scenes in the film, the actress does great, and the duo shines in some of the film's best scenes. Also opposite to Portman is Mila Kunis, the actress that usually puts her talents to work in comedy, surprises, too giving a great performance, with some scenes alongside Portman showing the actress' undoubtable talent for drama.

"Black Swan" is, as said, a beautiful film with great character study, beautiful production design, fantastic directing of Darren Aronofsky, a stellar cast that does a fantastic job and Natalie Portman in her best performance yet, one that will be hard to be beaten, that only makes me even more excited for Portman's future work. 4.5/5.
½ November 4, 2016
This film slowly and insidiously ensnares the senses until the passionate intensity and dark melodrama becomes both visually irresistible and utterly transfixing. Is it possible to simultaneously say that I didn't like a film and that it was majestically terrifying, exhilarating, and brilliant? After this film, the answer is yes.
½ September 19, 2016
Portman verta Oscaro
½ September 11, 2016
Being a perfectionist myself, this movie is reflecting me and telling me how I should cope with stress. This movie is exhilarating, dark and passionate.
September 5, 2016
Really good, but not really my kind of movie. Don't watch it again.
August 23, 2016
Black swan is a great film about self esteem, careers and despair! I love this film so much. the ending was the best creamy yet bumpy icing on the cake! it was fricking fantastic. Natalie Portman is the best committed actress of 20110
August 21, 2016
A crazy and envolving story. Love it.
½ August 19, 2016
Let's update this; rewatched it, and hated it even more. This is the literal definition of "style over substance". Everything was to be as expected from this Director, beautifully shot, great command of his actors, but the material was terrible to begin with.

I don't mind allegorical stories or movies where the play they're putting on mirrors what's happening in reality, either. But you just do it without mentioning it. To literally have the actress turn into the Black Swan from Swan Lake is insulting to your audience. That's saying, "You're probably too dumb to realise that the movie is actually exactly like the ballet they're performing it, so we'll spell it out for you at every turn." Thanks movie. Then don't make this film if you're going to insult your audience's intelligence like that. It's pompous. Could be one of the worst movies I've seen in a while, because of it's gross arrogance and the way they treated the audience.
August 17, 2016
This was my favourite film of 2010. On second viewing, my love for it has not diminished. I freely admit that there isn't really anything original here, but it's a film that fully embraces it's melodrama with a fierce intensity.
August 15, 2016
Crazy, intense, and absorbing with brilliance, Darren Aronofsky's sharp direction and Natalie Portman's spectacular performance turn this psychological thriller into a near perfect art piece of cinema.
August 14, 2016
Holy shit this movie is amazing