Black Swarm - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Black Swarm Reviews

October 22, 2015
Its really good for a B movie. No pun intended.
½ April 27, 2014
It takes a bit for the story to get moving, and some parts are pretty silly, but it manages to be somewhat interesting despite its loose concepts. Englund is a nice touch, even if it is not his best role. The ending is a bit slow, and rather unsatisfying, and certain parts were fairly dull. It's not entirely bad, though it is on the forgettable side.
½ January 24, 2014
Surprised me. Acting was actually pretty solid throughout and I found a lot of the characters to be quite interesting, even if a plot based on mutant wasps remains about as ridiculous throughout the film as it does when first heard. Okay, I love wasps, so I'm quite biased being for this movie.
March 23, 2013
Horrible plot, film, and acting... BUT IT WAS HILARIOUS!
March 6, 2013
This could have been REALLY good but instead it was a load of cheap effects and yet another Horror Film that employs an annoying little kid as the central issue of the bad event happening. Okay.....a woman leaves her 9 year old with an elderly blind woman. Hello? That lost a lot for me and the movie just kept going down hill. It gets a full star because Robert Englund is in the film and does a good job and that some of the action in the movie happens on Elm Street. Thought that was a nice nod to Englund.
August 27, 2012
At least Robert Englund stars in it.
July 22, 2012
The only reason why i wanted to see it was because it was shot in my home town. The production name was Buzzkill, which cameos as a marketing line: The ultimate Buzzkill. Yep, that sums it up.
October 23, 2011
"Robert Englund, is awesome!" Never ceases to amaze me how well syfy manages to put forth a great film.
½ July 24, 2011
without englund the film is bad
June 9, 2011
Good plot, horrible film.
December 11, 2010
Really not too good. Quite predictable as well.
November 30, 2010
I like this movie it's better than Killer Buzz, and it's also better than Swarmed too, this is one of the best wasp movies I've seen.
½ August 9, 2010
Did the wasps even kill anyone in this movie or just inexplicably turn them into zombies.Soooo disappointing. How can you screw up killer wasps?
½ August 9, 2010
Those people have a lot of relationship and emotional issues. Very dissapointing and confusing!
August 8, 2010
well umn just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a good movie 2 watch.............its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie.........i think that sebastian roberts, sarah allen, rebecca windheim, robert englund, jayne heitmeyer, michael perron, sheena larkin play good roles/parts thoruhgout this movie................i think that robert englund, jayne heitmeyer, sarah allen, sebastain roberts were great throughout this movie.............i think that the director of this made for tv/straight to video/straight to dvd/horror/comedy movie had done a good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie...i think that this is an ok movie 2 watch its got a good cast thorughout this movie n its enjoyable b movie 2 watch
½ June 23, 2010
One of the better Sci Fi channel movies maybe because it could happen....African Bees anyone
½ June 17, 2010
Black Swarm is an average creature feature starring the king of horror Robert Englund as a mad scientist who genetically engineers a swarm of wasps to create a new military weapon. In typical B-Movie fashion he has a revelation and decides to destroy what he has created but all a little too late.

What makes Black Swarm slightly different to hundreds of other killer insect films is that the wasps are parasitic and once inside a human host they turn the human into a zombie like creature, i.e. a drone wasp. This idea actually creates a reasonable amount of tension at the start of the film as we see more and more people becoming hosts. Sadly though, other than this one bit of originality the film is entirely made up of clichés, right down to the utterly pointless twist and the incredibly stupid military plot. Still though it manages to be entertaining enough which is mostly down to England thanks to his wonderfully over the top performance as the mad scientist. The other acting is passable and the CG effects are above average for a TV film. What Black Swarm lacks is action; there simply isn't enough screen time for the wasps. Instead we are treated to too many shots of mindless drones walking about town which no one seems to notice. Characters also have the amazing ability to know who has been killed despite not being anywhere near the killing, a stupid final revelation, idiotic military personnel, disappearing helicopters and plenty of other goofs.

Still you have to give credit for at least attempting to create a fresh spin on a very tired genre and interesting first and final acts. It's the middle section that slows the story down and gets a little too ridiculous. If you urn your brain off and just enjoy England hamming it up then there is entertainment to be found here just expect to laugh at how stupid it all is.
½ May 10, 2010
Truly one of the worst movies ever made ... and I've seen Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things. This doesn't even have a good cheesy B-sci fi factor to it... just mind-numbingly bad. If you're looking to go into a coma, consider watching this one.
½ May 9, 2010
I really enjoyed watching this film. it was nice to see Robert Englund in this film! and I pretty much never got bored of this movie at all. I would watch it again,but all I can say is it was a good film to pass 2 hours of your day.