Blackadder's Christmas Carol - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Blackadder's Christmas Carol Reviews

½ January 6, 2016
The anti-Christmas Carol. Funny, classic Blackadder humour and tale, however I did expect a bit more. Still great though. Messy everyone
December 4, 2014
A great and hilarious christmas spinoff of one of the best and most funny British tv shows ever made.
½ February 24, 2014
Blackadder's Christmas Carol is a jolly good film, because it serves as an intelligent reinvention of the Charles Dickens story A Christmas Carol which has the same heart of the original story in its own comedic way but has the story turned around to be more appropriately Blackadder oriented.
A Christmas Carol is a story that you arguably would have heard many times before, so the fact that Blackadder's Christmas Carol completely Re-tells the story in a different story direction is refreshing. It reminds us that the good people in the world are taken advantage of and so it's important to be grouchy once in a while. I mean, mistreating the poor has never been as funny as it was in Blackadder's Christmas Carol since the way it's easy to sympathise with the titular character makes it all a darkly comedic tale which, although inconsistent in comedy especially until the second half, is fairly funny.
Thanks to the performances of Rowan Atkinson and Tony Robinson in their iconic roles of Blackadder and Baldrick respectively, the humour is carried well to the end by the strength of these actors and their dedication to their characters, as well as the efforts of newcomers Jim Broadbent and Robbie Coltrane.

Really, although it's not as funny as it perhaps should be and is inconsistent in humour, Blackadder's Christmas Carol is an entertaining TV special which has plenty of Christmas and Blackadder spirit.
Jed
December 28, 2013
Inventive, witty, and well-crafted, Blackadder's Christmas Carol is a hilarious parody that stands tall in the Blackadder legacy.
½ November 20, 2013
Lots of dry British humor with an interesting twist on a classic tale.

I liked it but felt I might like it more if I were more familiar with the "Black Adder" TV series.
½ March 12, 2013
Everyone has that one film they love to watch at Christmas time and this film is mine, being a huge Blackadder fan I really enjoy how they take on Charles Dickens' famous A Christmas Carol by having the character of Ebenezer Scrooge here portrayed as Ebenezer Blackadder start out as a kind and warmhearted person who looks at the actions of his ancestors and the future of the Blackadder family to become that Blackadder we know and love from the TV series.
February 25, 2013
Excellent. Simply brilliant. Atkinson at his best.
February 20, 2013
Black Adder's Christmas Carol?! Of course that I want see this!!!
A nice black Adder Twist on a Classic tale
February 20, 2013
Chuck another 5 stars on the pile, absolute cracker!!
½ February 20, 2013
I was hoping for so much more from Rowan Atkinson in his version of a Christmas Carol. The possibilities were endless but being from America and not understanding some of the jokes didn't help matters. Unlike his popular Bean series which is known for it's physical comedy Adder relies more on verbal comedy which can be lost an the American viewer.
½ February 20, 2013
One of the best Christmas specials to watch. Made me want to go back and re-watch all the old episodes as well.
January 2, 2013
Even with a story that's been done to death, Rowan Atkinson & Co manage to come up with their own idea that comes to a fairly predictable but funny end. If you're a fan of Blackadder then you'll like this.
½ January 1, 2013
A Christmas special that maintains the high standards of the show. Essentially an adaptation of "A Christmas Carol" told in reverse ... Rowan Atkinson is a Scrooge who is selfless and good, and taken advantage of as a result. Robbie Coltrane plays the ghost (only one in this version), who accidentally reverses his character by showing him what a bastard his ancestors were. Christmas vignettes based on the 2nd and 3rd series are the visions. Wonderful stuff.
½ October 19, 2012
Meh. Funny, but meh.
May 26, 2012
Very intelligent and funny, like anything by Blackadder. Very clever parody, starting with scrooge nice and making him a douche in the end.
December 20, 2011
HILARIOUS and Creative. Blackadder has Turned the Story of a Christmas Carol Upside Down and its Amusing to Watch.
October 18, 2011
Arguably the best moment in Blackadder. It takes the best elements from the series and presents it in a clevel, funny and fresh way that doesn't feel overworked or out of place. If your friend hasn't seen Blackadder before, this is the one to get them into it!
May 30, 2011
This is truly one of the best xmas specials ever, Rowan Atkinson is one of the greatest comedy actors ever and the Blackadder series is living proof of Brit humour at it's best.

If you haven't heard of Blackadder, I heavily suggest watching this as well as the episodes of the show.

If you know Rowan only for Mr Bean then you are missing out, watch this and be amazed.
½ January 29, 2011
I expected more from the cast.