Blackbird - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Blackbird Reviews

½ July 6, 2016
A rare treat. I really don't get why it's been put off the radar. Surprizingly good newer film that so far has gotten a slim audience.
We meet a young man, 15 or so, and he is not the big thing at school. The other students sling him comments and treat him badly. He dresses quite different, goth-like, and since he stands out he's an easy target. It does not help that his parents are divorced, never seeming to care much - he is a problem. Even his bus ride friends act different at school. Sean Randall is not the guy to be seen with. Especially not if you are the most popular girl at school and the hockey team captain and alpha male's girl. Still, Sean is obsessed - she does treat him good when they are hidden from the cooler dudes. His anger is rising and to cope with his feelings he writes down some sort of revenge plan. Guns and killing are included. The police get's hands on it and there it is: Sean has planned a school shoot out and he is in big trouble.

Cliches are treated well here, and it feels like something fresh. The characters are not the most belivable, but that's about the only solid flaw here. "We Need to Talk About Kevin" comes to mind as a similiar film. Many other "young troubled boy against the world" movies too. Lovely written and with a great pacing it got me hooked from the beginning. It's shot in away that makes me feel being part of the story - it's quite intense stuff at times. It's out of your comfort zone - in a good way, I'm sure it will stick with me for a long time. The young actors does their jobs superbly , and so does the debut director. I'm looking forward to more of his stuff, it it's ever possible to track down that is.

9 out of 10 iPhone wrappings.
½ February 12, 2016
A worrisome treatment of a teen in today's politically correct times.
November 17, 2015
Forget the critics, this is a very human tale, well developped and well acted. It has a surprisingly fresh and real feel. Teenagers grow quickly from naive to assertive. I really like the progression and the realism of the film. I am surprised there was no french version since it is a canadian film very suitable for the francophile. Very good work.
July 14, 2015
when an entire community stacks against this one kid because he chooses to express himself on paper, they all turn on him. he's the victim not the suspect. just because someone is different doesn't make them a threat. his lawyer & initially his father told him to plead guilty when he wasn't. all the while the perpetrators are still out there doing it to others. how is it a fair trial when they are all part of that community? should be done where there are no biases. good story of the strength it takes for him to stand up for his rights and not be bullied into admitting something he wasn't doing in the first place
½ June 6, 2015
Engrossing, realistic and unpredictable. Good performances with great dialogue (especially from the lead character). Nicely done. Enjoyed it.
½ March 9, 2014
I enjoyed this troubled coming off age story, mainly due to the lead actor: Jessup. The film also had great direction. A story in which most people can relate to make it one to see.
January 16, 2014
An example of good intentions not being realized. It's interesting to look at the paranoia surrounding school violence from the point of view of a kid wrongly accused, but this movie never really gets past cliches to anything interesting to say about it.
December 12, 2013
Great film. I watched it on Air Canada Rouge flight entertainment system. The acting was great, story was well written. Very original premise.

The journey of the main character was believable, you really felt helpless for him as he got caught in an unjust and corrupt system.

It's tough to think that this is a real scenario that happens to youth every day... Instead of help and counseling they are driven into situations that put extreme mental pressure on them.

It was great to see this characters journey and his ability to overcome, it could have easily gone the other way and driven the character into committing a real crime.
½ November 21, 2013
This is an important Canadian film and an absolutely heart-wrenching tale of how a young man's life is destroyed by a judgemental town.
October 15, 2013
Blackbird was a powerful and moving film that explored real dangers faced by teenagers today in the school yard and online. Often online world that kids inhabit are poorly understood by the adults in their lives, and things can easily be misconstrued, as is the case with Sean, the lead character in the film. There are wonderful and understated performances in the film and the story keeps you guessing right to the end. A great film to see!
October 15, 2013
Really enjoyed it. Realistic characters, fantastic performances. A drama that grips you and doesn't let you go.
½ August 13, 2013
This incredible debut feature from Canadian Jason Buxton; is tense, unsettling, and unpredictably thought provoking. Purely centered on the the main character's motivations and those around him. Is he really as dangerous as he appears to be? or is it just bad luck that he's accused of the crimes he didn't/would never comit. It's a fascinating portrayal of youth wasted on the young and can compel any viewer who watches it. One of MIFF's Greatest Surprises!!!
½ July 20, 2013
Absolutely amazing. Compelling in everyway
June 27, 2013
I LOVED IT! Not what I expected, it was better! I am a personal fan of Connor Jessup (He played Sean Randall) and I didn't know he was this good. I was also surprised by the rest of the cast's performance. The only downside is how long it feels, halfway through it felt like it was 2 hours already.
May 21, 2013
Great movie! Worth seeing
May 11, 2013
This film stirred my emotions as it gave some insight into what teens might be feeling in this generation. It was refreshing to watch a film without the big Hollywood names and I would recommend it to both youth and parents to watch (even together).
October 11, 2012
monotone delivery in some parts, and a question what the message was as it took a few turns, but overall a good watch.
September 20, 2012
A terrific, grounded first-time film performance for Connor Jessup, who plays a bullied teen whose life is put on hold when a mistake in judgment snowballs into judicial reprisals against him. Another gripping, well-made Canadian film in recent years.