A Blade in the Dark - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Blade in the Dark Reviews

July 12, 2016
The film has atmosphere but is very poorly executed, acted and written (even for this kind of film). As a slasher this fails miserably.
December 21, 2015
Solid later period giallo effort from Lamberto Bava. I watched the dub which was pretty terrible. Will have to watch again with subtitles. The outcome is one that has been employed in other films and is poses problems for a more modern audience but it's still great overall. Giovanni Frezza has a small role as well which is always good to see. Not up there with Bob in The House by the Cemetery but I guess he'll never top that one!
August 4, 2015
Typically styled Italian giallo has a slayer on the loose around a working film composer. A nice psychoanalysis of the killer by the composer wraps up loose ends and explains motives; which also nicely ties everything together to the film he was working on.
½ April 17, 2015
The good in this flick is that there are no boring police conversations...Excellent giallo!
August 24, 2014
ok horror was an ok time killer
½ December 20, 2013
Graphic knife murders, boring movie.
½ October 20, 2013
Great giallo entry that benefits from it's great cinematography and art direction. Gore hounds should be just as pleased with the level of violence depicted.
June 17, 2013
Enlivened by some clever kills but the performances are uniformly weak partially due to the bad English dubbing and the plot is nothing special. Overall an average Giallo.
December 26, 2012
Another polished horror effort from Lamberto Bava--Derivative, but really entertaining and effective chiller!!
½ October 27, 2012
In this badly dubbed Italian giallo, a musician writing a score to a horror film finds himself in a horror of his own when young women turn up dead at the place he is renting. Rather than contact the police, he feels it best to stick around and try to figure out what is happening on his own. The killer's motives are pretty weak but at least the film nicely tidies up all loose ends.
bbcfloridabound
October 1, 2012
The copy of this film I watched was English Dubbed which made it a negative point from the start. This is something that might have appeared at the Drive In or on 42nd street. Don't confuse this Bava with Mario Bava. Pretty much guess who the killer is 1/4 way into the movie, no suspense, no thrills, No Skin, and no Drama. 2 stars
August 17, 2012
good giallo.even the dubbing's acceptable.
½ July 25, 2012
June 12, 2012
One of the most boring Giallo's I have seen, but the ending got me.
April 7, 2012
To be quite truthful Im not fair w/ my rating of A Blade in the Dark. On a whole it's not really all that bad & is actually pretty good only I saw the writing on the wall very early & had me laughing @ the red herrings & the entire way this all played out in the end. If youre a novice to this genre or just weren't paying attention (or just didn't fucking care) then it all plays out just fine...but as soon as Michele Soavi said I need to go & change I was like; yes go put on some heals & a dress I know who the killer is..sorry did I spoil that for you?..oh well I don't fucking care..I knew how this was going to play out. No great twists in the gender bender giallo genre even it was directed Lamberta Bavo son of master Mario Bava. Throw away but not a total waste that it hits the bottom of the can
March 31, 2012
A Blade in the Dark is the product of Mario Bava's son Lamberto Bava. The director has a few Italian classics under his belt, including this one, but I've never been particularly impressed with his work or anything. As far as thie film goes, I wouldn't say that it's one of the best giallos out there, but it does have a lot of atmosphere to it. The atrocious English dub makes it pretty much laughable at times but the plot isn't all that hard to follow. At times it's interesting, but other times boring and labored by a loathsome pace. Overall, a decent watch but not much of a classic.
FilmFanatik
October 30, 2011
½ October 22, 2011
'A Blade in the Dark' is the best movie we have from Mario Bava's much less talented son, Lamberto. Not to worry as Michele Soavi ('Cemetery Man') is an associate director. The editing is so bad in this stylish giallo that without any hyperbolic falsity the entire movie could've been done better by the make-up artist, or the pool guy - it is a nice looking pool at the beautiful Italian villa. 'A Blade in the Dark' has much going for it for being a mere slasher: realistic gore, Italian women, shadows and odd angles, Italian women, memorable death scenes (one aftermath of a killing is so beautifully composed and bloody it's one of my favourite scenes in any giallo), Italian women, a claustrophobic atmosphere, and plenty of the women from Italy - it's seductive and sexy. A quality giallo with flaws that can be laughed off rather than losing a kidney from Aspirin abuse.
August 15, 2011
Really cool giallo by Lamberto Bava. Michele Soavi also plays a not so minor part in the film. Does push giallo into more excessive realms of violence in some very effective scenes. Also, some great camerawork, particularly in the killing scenes.