Blade of the Immortal (Mugen no jûnin) Reviews

• Apr 03, 2020

The film is generally very nice and funny because it's nonsensical for the most part, but the plot is compelling and manages to entertain you. Fights are also entertaining because they are full of action and in general they are done very well. The only thing I have to say is the thing that struck me the most for the comedic side in the movie is that the protagonist always has spare weapons in his sleeves and changes a lot of them every fight, and this thing is as absurd as it is funny

• Jan 02, 2020

Sekiro Fans And Wolverine Fans Will Love This Gore Soaked Action Filled Thrill Ride

• Dec 13, 2019

Sekiro fans Will love this!

Sekiro fans Will love this!

• Oct 13, 2019

I am one who get bored by long movies but not this one I was entertained ,, great casting , visually majestic and good screenplay .. beyond the violence their is a message of honor and conscience

• Sep 15, 2019

Started OK, then lost altitude. The end was a lengthy crash and burn. PASS

Started OK, then lost altitude. The end was a lengthy crash and burn. PASS

• Jan 26, 2019

Though fantastical and visceral, the nonsense of one man winning a fight against HUNDREDS of soldiers takes you right out of the movie. I do not recall feeling this way for say, '300'. Maybe it was the way the hundreds of soldiers are just standing around waiting to be slashed. Not knowing it was based on a manga before watching, this fact reveals itself as the movie progresses and becomes more ridiculous.

• Jan 21, 2019

Wasn't really a fan of this Takashi Miike film (which is pretty rare for me). May be I'm just not as big a samurai fan as I thought I was (I don't think that's true). The negatives for me were that the story was way too over the top and secondly I felt that Hana Sugisaki was terribly mis-cast. Her acting wasn't great and she sounded weird every time she yelled at someone (which was frequent). The overall plot was decent, but the path on the way to end was not as good as expected. Namely, the scene big fight scene seemed very unrealistic even for a samurai movie. Anyway, still a fan of Miike and will continue going through his films I haven't seen.

• Dec 23, 2018

Bloody samurai movie from Takashi Miike--directing his 100th movie! The first 20 minutes, which establishes how Manji became immortal, is excellent, but then the movie falls into its episodic format, condensing too many episodes into one two hour movie. Still, it's got some impressive fight scenes, undeniable style, and genuine mirthfulness. It reminded me of Miike's Sukiyaki Western Django in its stylish ridiculousness. The movie also has a stunning androgynous villain in Sota Fukushi.

• Dec 21, 2018

Incredibly bloody, with many severed limbs. The sword fighting is much more quick and brutal, warlike slaughter as opposed to movies like Hero or Crouching Tiger. The action pacing is off: The hero slaughters 100 men in the first sequence, but then each of the following 1 on 1 fights seem anti-climactic in comparison until the final Dynasty Warriors-like finale. I liked the overall plot, painting the main antagonists as equally human, until the overarching antagonist of the corrupt system comes into play though the movie doesn't make enough of a deal of the oppression. Further the girl's screaming is a little too much at time. Worth watching, but doesn't stand out enough to warrant a rewatch.

• Nov 27, 2018