The Blair Witch Project - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Blair Witch Project Reviews

September 29, 2016
Un gran ejemplo de cómo hacer mucho con poco
September 24, 2016
Sure it was original for its time, but it introduced a forgettable genre of horror while being forgettable itself
½ September 23, 2016
Deemed a classic but quite frankly repetitive and boring from time to time. Awful ending as well.
½ September 22, 2016
I wont deny this movie was revolutionary for the horror genre, but that doesnt stop it from being awful trash.
September 22, 2016
It may take a while, but this movie is actually really scary, if you have the patience to watch teens argue for an hour.
September 21, 2016
Suspenseful and groundbreaking; the style works masterfully, even if the ending leaves you hanging.
½ September 20, 2016
Found footage has become a thing of the past very quickly, and while it still has a small fanbase, the films in this genre really aren't all that great. With the exception of a few films (ie. Chronicle or Cloverfield to have a couple), the flare of this genre has really worn down. It is more of a gimmick than ever and even the most average of moviegoers are catching on. Although this genre is on its way out, lets take a look back on the film that made it all possible. At the time, The Blair Witch Project frightened many people, which I do have issues with, but I will expand more on that later. Lets travel back in time to 1999 and discuss how this film holds up 17 years later.

While I was too young to witness this film upon its original theatrical run, I caught this film on DVD about 10 years ago. Having revisited a few times since then, I have formed a very strong opinion on The Blair Witch Project. People once called this one of the scariest films ever made, and while I can see some teenagers getting a few chills, it just simply isn't that scary. Even to the people who it fooled into thinking it was actual footage, I do not understand how they felt that way, especially since it was released in theatres.

Clearly, a theatrical film without any news or radio stations confirming these disappearances would have been fishy from the start. Mind you, this was a huge selling point at the time, so I can forgive it for selling the film that way. Sadly though, the endless amount of films that preceded it, whether it be exorcism films or time travel stories, audiences simply were no longer impressed and became more annoyed. Personally, with a great story and some clever techniques, I believe this genre still has a few tricks up its sleeve, but it will definitely be rare. Setting aside what came after it, lets dive into why it was hit or miss from the start.

At the time of release, as stated above, people called this one of the scariest films of all time. To me that is absolutely insane. The main plot that revolves around three teenagers heading out into the woods to document the myth of the blair witch is the most interesting aspect. As each side character is interviewed as they make their way deeper and deeper into the forest, the tension does build and you truly do feel like this is a real story. That being said, being the very low budget that it is, hearing sounds and screaming instead of at least giving the audience a glimpse at what they see it just plain annoying at times. Yes, given the budget at hand, that is acceptable, but it just makes the film a product of its time. I would have called this film an average horror film if I were to have seen in back in 1999, but it is merely passable for this day and age, especially considering the films that followed it.

Never for a second did I believe I was watching a documentary, but the performances almost got me to that point. There are moments where the dialogue feels very real and characters tear up while trying to get their words out. Easily, the best portions of this film revolt around the performances at hand. They are all believable to a fault and I found myself invested in these characters. The only set-back to that is the fact that you never truly get to see what happens to any of them. The film is one great big tease that left me unsatisfied. These actors/actresses give it their all and I commend this film the most for that.

In the end, I could never recommend this film to someone nowadays, unless they are aspiring filmmakers who like to watch experimental films. Otherwise, you are 17 years too late to the party. At the time, fans either loved it or hated it, but I think the latter would be the majority today. The Blair Witch Project has a lot of promise and the coe idea of this film is commendable, due to the fact that it sparked an entire genre. For that reason alone, I give this film more props than the actual enjoyment I had with it. As I said, if I were to have been in the theatre 17 years ago, I would have recommended this film to many people, calling it an average film worth checking out. As for todays standards, it is a merely passable experimental found footage film.
½ September 20, 2016
Pretty good. I have absolutely no idea what it was about, but it was good
½ September 20, 2016
The Blair Witch Project is the directorial and writing debut of Daniel Myrick and Eduardo Sánchez, and it stars Heather Donahue, Michael C. Williams, and Joshua Leonard in a found-footage horror film about three film students that wanted to do a documentary about the Blair Witch, and when they went to the forest where the Blair Witch takes place at, they ended up getting lost and wanting to get back home. After seeing Blair Witch, it definitely felt like the right time for me to watch the first film that started the found-footage genre, even if it wasn't the first movie to do so. The way that it settles the film up from interviewers, you wouldn't even know which of them are actors, and those who are not. It made sense about why all the stuff are being filmed as the characters are film students, and wanted to film everything. I find the characters a bit more developed than the characters from Blair Witch, and you would find them more developed if you go to the website for the movie itself as it gives a lot of backstories to the characters that makes them feel more human that makes sense why people at the time thought that they were actually missing. Since when you find out that it was mostly improvised, it's really impressive to see the actors just to make some conversations in their mind because it makes it seem more genuine which doesn't feel like the film was scripted. I didn't find the movie annoying as it makes sense for their situation of being lost in the woods, although I understand if viewers thought the opposite, and it had a lot of creepy moments in the movie. I do like that it didn't show you what it was, and it makes the actors very tired, which makes it interesting to know that the directors are messing around with the actors in terms of where they want to go, and what limited food they have. I understand why people say that this is the scariest film of all time when you're out in the perspective of where the actors are going in the forest where it's pitch black, and there's someone who's watching them, but I didn't find it scary at all, just immensely creepy. It's crazy that with a low budgeted film like this, can create something that people still talk about to this day, whether they love it or hate it, and as for me, I really enjoyed it.
September 19, 2016
The Blair Witch Project is a slow building tense film that does a great job at creating a simple plot that some how manages to captivate you and terrify you at the same time.
½ September 19, 2016
Though Heather Donahue's performance was at some points frustrating and seemed forced, there is no denying that "The Blair Witch Project" delivers first class scares, without the need of blood, gore or a physical fiend.
½ September 18, 2016
If they had chopped out some of the inane improvisation/constant bickering and just picked one damn character to lose their shit so scenes actually flowed into one another, it'd been a masterpiece. As it stands though, it's still pretty damn spooky
September 18, 2016
Doesn't stand the test of time but was GREAT in it's day. Saw this in the theater while in college multiple times. Original, unique, and scary without much happening.
½ September 18, 2016
If you think people yelling names in the woods is scary...well this is the movie for you.
September 18, 2016
Movie night with Iris.

Ok so my savvy daughter wasn't spooked. I still bleedin' was. Even though camcorders seem from a bygone age, this film is still truly ground-breaking. It ramps up the tension and paranoia to unbearable levels.
September 17, 2016
A suspencful creepy movie. The most sudden of things is what you fear in this movie. Not knowing what the Blair Witch even looks like you'll still be very impressed on how they can keep you on the edge of your seat.
½ September 17, 2016
The only thing I can say about this film is it shouldn't take until the final 10 seconds to have something interesting happen. It is otherwise completely boring.
September 16, 2016
One of my top twenty fav horror movies of all time
½ September 16, 2016
Really fail to see the hype here. Found footage films are typically never my cup of tea. It's all over the place emotionally. One moment you're engaged, with a few cliche laughs, and you're then puzzled, sad, sort of scared, puzzled some more, and then confused on what to feel. I thought the acting was great though. I thought the three actors did a great job convincing me that this was real life found footage. But, it was just lacking.
September 16, 2016
One of the most original horror films of the 90's. A classic.