The Blair Witch Project - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Blair Witch Project Reviews

½ January 12, 2017
The film is atmosphere Taste very whelm over Creepy Message than 30 Minutes character sayin.
January 10, 2017
Very boring, not in anyway terrorfying and filled with plot holes
January 6, 2017
still a creepy and unique viewing experience.
½ January 3, 2017
The year 1999 began and ended with lots of "one-of-a-kind" or may I say "Landmark" movies which established themselves as a foundation for a genre initially unexplored by the elites of movie makers. Few of the most notable works of the year includes Fight Club, The Matrix, American Beauty, The sixth Sense and Being John Malkovich amongst many others. You must already know where I am heading with these movie titles. Yes, that's right- the common factor that binds all of these six movies is their brilliant portrayal of human psyche. The audacity of these movies lies in their attempt to challenge the rational reasoning of audience and by the time the movie ends, the audience questions his intellect regarding his anticipation and understanding of the movie. "The Blair Witch Project" does all of that and a tad bit more but one might say that it still went unheeded from the sight of mainstream audience.

Nearly a decade before "Paranormal Activity", "The Blair Witch Project" happened and was the first ( I have intentionally excluded Cannibal Holocaust 1980 because of its genre) to experiment with the found footage Psychological horror genre which later gained such remarkable mainstream success that it spawned seven installments of Paranormal Activity, [REC] and many others. The Blair Witch Project does so less in 105 minutes yet in its own way forces us to cogitate over the definition of horror and to experience horror. The film is an exploitation of the most fearsome element of the genre- the very thought of being haunted by an obscure supernatural entity whom you can neither see nor confront.

The film is about three aspiring documentarians who wander off into the woods with the hopes of finding some reminiscence of the Blair Witch legend. Long before the plot unfolds itself, we already know of their fate - thanks to the opening introduction of the movie which informs us of their disappearance and implies that they are probably dead. With "What happened to them?" out of the line that leaves us with "How it happened?" Now, a usual horror movie would go about showing us the exploits of the witch, gruesome murder of protagonists and eerie sound effects from the third-person perspective. This is where the film deviates from the aforementioned mainstream "tested and approved "technique and adopts an unconventional (at the time) manner of storytelling. Found Footage enables the film to engage us audiences to experience fear and dread of being haunted from first-person perspective for I felt as if I was the fourth crew member holding the camera and filming the documentary. And one of the elements in the film which I found to be remarkable is that the violence or melancholia inflicted by the witch in the past is never actually shown in the movie but rather presented as the legend through use of manufactured newspaper articles, newsreels, television news reports, and staged interviews. This creative way of narration successfully manages to form an image of the witch in the mind of the viewer by replacing the need to actually show the witch.

The plot is fairly simple and straight forward without any twists and turns. It has all the ingredients of different varieties of characters usually found in a typical horror movie - doomed protagonists, a crazy legend-believer who has been personally traumatized by the supernatural entity, the naysayers and the forbidding one who would ask to leave the ghost alone. And I couldn't, to this day, forget that the crazy legend-believer in this film is a special one for she is a self-proclaimed ballerina, a historian writing on American history and also a scientist at department of energy. And I used to think that I was the ultimate all-rounder! It doesn't really take much time for audiences to realize that the movie isn't really about the witch but rather it is a study of characters. Among the three principal characters, the woman (Heather) is the most memorable one and not in a very good way. One may find Heather as obnoxious and over smart-woman who would not stop arguing over camera business and who at times would not mind some whiskey and toke. The manner of shift in characters' persona in face of dismay is depicted in a constructive way allowing the film to use it as a effective tool for provoking and upsetting the audience.

Incorporating the religious scriptures in the script has always been the most reliable method of providing the authenticity or the background to support the occurrence of horror. The Blair Witch Project brilliantly uses the biblical story of Jacob from Genesis 31:39 wherein he piles up stones between himself and Laban to signify the separation of territories. Same pile of stones are frequently shown in the film which filmmakers must have intended to depict the territory of the witch and one might have easily noticed that all the havoc started after one of these piles were stepped upon by the cameraman. The film has no music score throughout its length which is why I guess Heather's persona was designed as talkative and annoying to balance out the awkward silence that, otherwise, would have prevailed. It might amuse you if I said that the movie started with the voice of Heather and ended with her scream.

I must not tell the famous and much debated ending. It tries to re-enact the witch-legend.

The best thing that can be said about the film, I think, is that it works. Myrick and Sanchez have taken up a very simple concept and made it believable, right up to the end. In this sense, it even outdoes Paranormal Activity.
JR Dela Pena
December 30, 2016
The Blair Witch Project is a well-executed unorthodox horror movie. Though it has the strong potential to bore viewers out due to its slow-burn trait treatment. Even so, all that melts away when the film reaches its "wings" and soar over an eerie, unsettling transition of events in which will the dreadfully ill-fated characters will be facing up with.

Instead of giving a usually predictable horror movie element, it more relies on the realism approach that binds with the audience's imagination --- that gives out a conclusion to a certain situation, hence, would potentially adds up more tension build-ups to the story. The Blair Witch Project is not for everyone due to its unorthodox found footage aesthetics, yet, also not for the faint of hearts!
December 17, 2016
A movie that still keeps me up at night to this day. While a movie like Blair Witch gets mixed results, it once again all depends on your opinion of horror. To me, the unknown is terrifying. Your imagination is terrifying. And Blair Witch delivers just that.
December 17, 2016
Entiendo porque esta película fue un exitazo en su momento y lo cierto es que debería pasar a la historia por lo que supuso, en especial en lo referente a su método de producción y la genial campaña de marketing.

El problema está en que la cinta luego no se sostiene muy bien por si sola, y hasta puede resultar increiblemente aburrida y tediosa a pesar de su corta duración.

Es uno de esos ejemplos en los que una película fuera de su contexto puede no seguir funcionando.
½ November 29, 2016
Subtle, realistic, and very creepy atmosphere. The Blair Witch Project proves that horror movies don't always have to show the monster for it to be scary.
November 26, 2016
Boring, uneventful and pointless, The Blair Witch Project fails completely in every level.
November 15, 2016
This movie was tons of hype and nothing but let down in when you finally saw it. I am not sure if it's the first found footage movie but it certainly made me hate them. couldn't keep my attention
November 5, 2016
Blair Witch Project. A glorified snooze fest of a horror film. Never have I ever zoned out of a film as much as I have with this one. It has an interesting setting and does manage to set up its plot effectively but it ultimately falls flat on its face as soon as our protagonists finish introducing themselves and their purpose. The last 80% of the film is either banter, arguing about getting lost, or very short night sequences that do not invoke fear. I would've even welcomed a cheap jump scare to get me back into the film, but nothing. The points of conflict between protagonists were next to pointless and more comedic if anything. As a matter of fact, this film made me laugh more than it did scare me. The ending to this film was arguably the most disappointing and unsatisfying part.

My IQ level actually might have dropped after this film. Which is actually a good thing! Why? I was watching it with a female I really liked and it seemed to have also lowered her IQ. By the end of the film, we were so zoned out, bored and confused that our primitive instincts took over our bodies and we began to engage in sexual activity. It occurred to me that this film actually increases the chances of a sexual encounter!

The final verdict of this film AS A FILM is 1 out of 5 stars.

The final verdict of this film to GET IT IN is 6 out of 5 stars.

*****USE THIS FILM RESPONSIBLY*****
November 5, 2016
Creepy Defiantly Worth A Gander
November 1, 2016
Interesting plot and story, horrible production
½ October 30, 2016
Very suspenseful and ominous. Gives an increasingly present feeling of insanity.
October 25, 2016
I was expecting this to be just "fine," and boy, I loved it.
½ October 24, 2016
One of the smartest and most frightening horror films. The blair witch project takes found footage style camera work and sends chills down our spines -- even if nothing is onscreen.
½ October 23, 2016
Wait! what happened? somebody hold the damn camera still!
October 22, 2016
Not many people seem to realize that this was the first found footage film ever and that it was basically as improvised as a feature film could get. Very original and provides feelings of tense mystery.
½ October 18, 2016
"The Blair Witch Project" es un a película de terror de bajísimo presupuesto que se aprovecha del miedo a la oscuridad presente en todos nosotros y que presenta uno de los mejores finales en la historia del cine del género. Evite la segunda parte a toda costa.
October 14, 2016
This is still the only film I have ever seen that frightened me enough to have trouble sleeping the first time I saw it. To me, the power of one's own imagination far outweighs the usual cinematic translation of horror into buckets of blood and guts.