The Blair Witch Project - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Blair Witch Project Reviews

½ September 6, 2016
Interesting and VERY entertaining at the same time hope Blair Witch (2016) will be very good
½ September 6, 2016
4.5/5. Still chilling and holds up pretty well. Very innovative for its time and still superior than the vast majority of found footage films. The Blair Witch Project shows that sometimes less is more.
½ September 6, 2016
Just running and more running and more running... Ok I'm tired
September 5, 2016
I know this film was groundbreaking for the time and that it opened the door for an entire new sub-genre. That being said, I was amazed at how little actually happened. It's surprising that people actually found this film scary.
August 31, 2016
Scariest movie ever. I couldn't sleep for a week.
August 29, 2016
the movie had a interesting woods who had a extend intectually ran where Blair witch was exscuted for real l think it pretty less scary than other non movie.
August 28, 2016
Blair Witch taps into the irrational fears you had as a kid and then makes you feel like not only were they real but that they are merciless and implacable. It leaves you with your nerves shredded and raw, and I for one have never been able to make it through a second viewing.
½ August 26, 2016
I really don't understand why a lot of people don't like this film? I thought it was a very solid horror film.
August 25, 2016
One of the most suspenseful and intense horror films of all time, and of the few films to do the found footage genre right. I've heard a lot of people call this film boring and lacking in substance, but those were also the people that found 2001 slow and pretentious and grave encounters a horror masterpiece. In my opinion the slow and meticulous story telling allows for atmosphere and suspense to flourish. When on the rare occasion something does happen of consequence, its all the more impactful because of how it was built up. I found the ending traditionally scary, and even kind of intelligent when compared to a lot of other low budget independent horror films, or even just films in general.
It has setup and a payoff. Something filmmakers even today should learn to Incorporate, as it works more times than it fails. Although simple in its execution, the result is no less horrifying and worth while. It leaves a lot up to the imagination, but not as so far as to restrict anything we should be seeing. Leaving us with a film that sticks with you long after seeing it.
A very solid 8/10.
½ August 25, 2016
"The Blair Witch Project" started a phenomenon on a level compared to what "Jaws" did for the ocean.

A group of teenagers hike into the woods in search of the Blair Witch with the goal of making a documentary. Through a few nights of terror, the group will slowly start to stumble onto the legend that is the Blair Witch. Sadly, a year later, their equipment was found and the footage was released for the entire world to see.

This is the film that started the found footage genre. It was only two decades ago that found footage movies were basically non existent, and when this film was released, it sent major ripples through cinema. Was it real? Was this the most terrifying film of the year? When I bought this film, I wasn't expecting much, but going back and watching this so called "phenomenon", I was actually fairly impressed.

One thing this movie does great is the use of the Blair Witch. They use the beginning of the film to build up the lore and myths around the witch, and by the time the kids go into the woods, your mind is able to wander off into almost anything. Not once in this film is the witch shown (many people were upset about that), and not once was anything shown in general. All of the scares came from the reaction of the kids, sounds, and disturbing artifacts left around their tent. The witch was used to create conflict and terror among the group, while not being overused or shown. If the witch was shown, it probably would've decreased the value of the witch and if anything, it helps let your mind think of just how scary and frightening the witch could look like.

Like I said, this is where the found footage genre really started. After this was made, many creators ran out there to make their own found footage films in an attempt to replicate what this movie did. With this movie being filmed in Hi-8 video and 16-mm film, it truly felt like found footage and it made the experience just that much more real.

One thing I also really like among movies is character conflict. I just love how this witch, even though she's never seen, manages to create this conflict and divide within the group. I love how the group gets torn apart from the inside and throughout all the panic, they can't help but lose themselves in all the madness. It's a very well done psychological conflict and it adds a lot of layers to the movie.

In the end, I do recommend this film to horror enthusiasts, especially those in love with the found footage genre. This is a well made found footage movie that I'm happy to have in my collection.
August 23, 2016
Finally got around to seeing this - should have kept waiting. Almost unwatchable. Maybe because the found footage thing was a somewhat new concept in 99, critics thought this was innovative and brilliant. But it is tedious, boring and poorly acted. And the three characters must rank among the least likable and dumbest in cinematic history.
½ August 19, 2016
The unscariest scary movie ever. 90 minutes of tension free tedium. All hype and no delivery. Awful.
½ August 17, 2016
If you want a scary horror movie that is filled with suspense and good scares watch another movie because this one is so boring the characters are unlikeble, the story is pretty bad, and the Shots just showing the actors face are just disgusting with boogers all over them

If you are having trouble sleeping just watch this movie
½ August 7, 2016
Tons of people loved this movie but I never saw why. I mean it was okay but it bored me to death. Maybe it's just not my kind of movie
½ August 4, 2016
It's absolutely terrifying horror film fare, and it also proves that the horror genre does not need to have excessive jump scares and blood and gore in order to be scary as hell. It's the unnerving and unsettling tone that The Blair Witch Project gives its audience that is one of the many reasons why it's such a damn good horror film.

Grade: A
July 29, 2016
The Blair Witch Project is a refined, well-executed horror movie that builds up terror in the most peculiar way. Though it'll surely have the sense to bore out viewers in its first running time but not until the movie reaches its main goal [from the start of 40 minute and all the way scenes], that's when it shows out the story's "wings". It didn't rely on jumpscares but has a way with playing with viewer's mind quite dreadfully; much more of building one's own nightmare while digging through the film. The Blair Witch Project though a refined masterpiece, is not for the taste of everyone, yet also not for the faint of heart.
July 27, 2016
The film may not be a horror for say but it's an incredibly, natural, convincing, and truely unsettling film.
Grade: B+
July 26, 2016
quite possibly one of the best and innovative horror films in history. from its incredible marketing campaign, spooky feeling, and audience reaction. if your are a fan of horror this is definitely a must. this film has such an intricate backstory, that spans numerous documentaries, a sequel, and 3 video games. this film is eerily real, it will keep you in suspense the whole way through.
½ July 26, 2016
Scared the Hell outta me, I got a total wicked vibe from this film!
July 24, 2016
Had to revisit this movie after the news that the sequel 'Blair Witch' is coming out in a few weeks. And although the movie hasn't aged that well, it still is pretty creepy and a cult classic of horror found footage.
~July 23, 2016~