Blancanieves - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Blancanieves Reviews

August 24, 2014
Never seen a movie like this, EXTREMELY beautiful. Life doesn't always a fairytale ending...
½ August 6, 2014
Utterly wonderful - a dark, fantastical tale and a cinematographic masterpiece.
July 19, 2014
Forget "Snow White and the Huntsman" and "Mirror Mirror"! Watch this one instead!
½ July 13, 2014
Well one had to do something while the World Cup final was on, but was this it? No. This much-acclaimed silent movie, much compared to 'The Artist', is a fairytale retold in the 1920s which descends into burlesque and at no times attains the menace of Grimm original, as many commentators would have you believe. All the hard work by composer Alfonso de Vilallonga, who alone deserves the plaudits this film has received, fails to save a poor and rather tedious farce.
June 15, 2014
This black & white version of Snow White done in Spain is a visually and musically rich story, but also very dark and macabre. It pulls no punches in its darker moments, for a twisted take on the classic fairy tale.
June 3, 2014
Silent. Monochrome. Gorgeous. One of the two standout films that I have watched this year and very highly recommended. Bonus: bullfighting dwarves.
½ May 17, 2014
Beautifully shot and well executed! I was surprised to find out a silent film could be so entertaining!
May 14, 2014
Interesting take on the old story. I really like the short hair style. I think the ending is weird, I rather consider it as a bad ending. But not like bad ending is always bad movie. Maybe it's just not really my style of the cabaret-like performance of the mother. Who is seems to be such a big star that her face was the biggest in the poster. I thought she was the Snowhite before I watch the movie.
½ April 27, 2014
Muy buena! recomendada!
½ April 18, 2014
Matador Snow White and the Six Bullfighting Dwarves! Well, that's a twist!

Whereas The Artist felt like "I want to revive an era", Blancanieves felt more like "I want to try that too!" Pablo Berger attempted, however, what few can accomplish successfully: to create a silent film in the current state of the movie industry, where the risk of a project is high, from both a financial point of view and from a studio perspective.

Now, if we are purists, Blancanieves follows the silent formula less faithfully than The Artist. It doesn't feel like a silent film per se, but as a black and white film with no sound. This can be said because of the filmmaking style. It is rather uneven, making transitions between the editing, camera and musical score techniques of the 20s, and a more modern approach, with a dynamic camera that moves through spaces to reveal gestures, sceneries and shocking moments. In one moment, you feel like traveling back 90 years into the past, and at others, it is a Spanish melodrama with its inevitable sexualized quirkiness and the most recent technical celluloid features.

So, the most fundamental question about the whole show is: Does the plot justify the creation of a silent film? The answer is: YES.

To begin with, the story is a twist on the famous tale. This was very smart excuse for the filmmakers to use the context of the 20s and portray a pre-war Spain. This makes the whole silent-cinema-tribute deal cuter. Seriously, the film couldn't feel any more Spanish, with its display of dance numbers, flamenco elements and the (disgusting and animal torturer, but undeniably folkloric) matador subculture. Secondly, it is a simplistic story. Silent cinema allows for some peculiar utilizations of the music, the facial gestures and the 'theatrical' mannerisms required in actors to participate in this kind of project. With this, therefore, the movie was taken to another level of magic and entertainment. It is easy to imagine it as a very boring and plain sound feature. And it is in the acting part where the great Maribel Verdú shines. With a strong onscreen presence and unique facial expressions, her character of "Encarna" was a vehicle for expanding her already admirable versatility.

I won't stop supporting these projects despite their flaws, because the intention is the same: to revive an old art form of different talents. Well done!

½ April 18, 2014
stylischer Film am besten gesehen in nem Kino von der alten Schule #Roxy Dortmund
April 15, 2014
Unique idea, but the melodrama was too much for me.
April 14, 2014
Well acted. Interesting story. The idea to make it a silent movie is just genius. Simply a great film.
April 13, 2014
A clever spin which is beautifully shot in black and white and well acted. Its a delight from start to finish.
April 13, 2014
Blancanieves is unexpected and enchanting. This beautifully rendered black and white film makes you listen to the music, see the entire screen and feel the impact of great cinematography. Who needs dialogue when the visuals tell the story so well? A creative treat.
½ April 5, 2014
Ultimately, it feels like an exercise in style and visual storytelling, but what an exercise! Exquisitely shot, staged, scored, and designed, "Blancanieves" is one of the most beautifully assembled films in recent memory, a gorgeous, sensuous piece of craft with a passionate, energetic current running through it. The performances are great, the storytelling is solid, and there's a lot of heart; if the whole thing feels more like an assembly of beautiful scenes than an entirely cohesive reworking of the fairy (some of the variations on the story are inspired, others just feel cute, or occasionally obligatory), it's easy to forgive, because the simple experience of watching Pablo Berger's film is such a treat. This kind of visual poetry on the screen isn't common, and I can't wait to see what Berger comes up with next.
March 18, 2014
didn't care for this silent
March 2, 2014
Blancanieves is a beautiful silent black and white depiction of Snow White in the world of bull fighting. The performances include great expressiveness calling back to the films of the silent era, but I wish a unique film executed so well could come with a more exciting idea than a bull fighting Snow White. At least the bullfighting could seem more impressive rather than just playing curtsy with the unenthusiastic bulls.
½ February 26, 2014
A Spanish, silent version of Snow White with a good musical score and splendid narrative.