Blancanieves - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Blancanieves Reviews

February 15, 2014
Beautiful and lyrical this folklore adaptation of the well-known fairy-tale will leave you breathless..Definitely a must-see!
½ February 8, 2014
Don't know if it'd be a classic of the silent era, but for that matter I don't know if "The Artist" would be either and I love the shit out of that movie. "Blancanieves" isn't on the level of lush as "The Artist" but it's just as romantic in its own twisted Latin ways. I like how, unlike other "Snow White" interpretations, "Blancanieves" chooses to emphasize different, darker elements of the Grimm brothers story, particularly the the sadomasochistic ways of the wicked stepmother (played by "Y Tu Mama Tambien" and "Pan's Labyrinth" stunner Maribel Verdú.) And once it gets into the bullfighting dwarves of the third act writer-director Pablo Berger's closeups are very reminiscent of "Time Bandits". Plus it ends on a real bummer. Which is fitting, since "Blancanieves" is a movie that's more full-bodied (the late Ebert's word) concept than it is mere gimmick.
February 5, 2014
Interesting take on Snow White, basically a silent, Spanish-themed version
½ February 3, 2014
I was lucky enough to track this Spanish black-and-white silent romantic fantasy drama recommended to me by one of my RT friends recently, through my Serbian links. This movie is very popular in Europe and I got the version with Serbian subtitles (excellent translation, by the way). Written and directed by Pablo Berger and losely based on the fairy tale "Snow White" by the Brothers Grimm, everything is happening in the 1920s Andalusia, set up as a romantic vision or as a "love letter to European silent cinema" - to quote the director!

This was Spain's 85th Academy Awards official submission to Best Foreign Language category, but it did not make the shortlist, but won the Special Jury Prize and an ex-aequo Best Actress "Silver Shell" Award for Macarena García at the 2012 San Sebastián International Film Festival and also won ten Goya Awards, including the Goya Award for Best Film at the 27th Goya Awards.

The long process of making this movie started when Pablo Berger saw a photograph of bullfighting dwarves in a book España Oculta by the photographer Cristina García Rodero, so bBy 2003, Berger had written Blancanieves and was working to raise funds for it soon after his film Torremolinos 73 was appearing at festivals. Raising money took eight years later, and while he was working on the storyboards and about to begin principal photography in May 2011, he was devastated. News reached him that The Artist had been shown at the 2011 Cannes Film Festival and it was almost identical concept. These are the directors words, "Nobody knew about The Artist until it appeared in Cannes. It was completely out of the blue. I was in my office in Madrid, doing the storyboards for my film, when a producer friend sent me a text message from the festival saying, 'I've just seen The Artist, it's black and white and silent and it's going to be huge.' I almost threw my phone against the wall. The high concept was gone."

I have to say that it was extraordinarily enjoyable watching the story and amazingly enchanting (evil) Maribel Verdu, but the credits should be given to the young Sofia Oria as Carmencita / Blancanieves and her older version acted by Macarena García (the one with the Best Actress award). Evil and romance were everywhere - even the dwarfs had it! I never thought that a children story inspiration could have such fascinatingly ambiguous ending... it had the right proportion of melancholy, eerie and erotic elements ... one of the critics said that this is "a film to treasure", and I will do just that!
½ February 2, 2014
Blancanieves - Spanish black-and-white silent film - co-produced, written and directed by Pablo Berger. It is based on popular fairy-tale story of 'Snow White' by Brothers Grimm. Starring Maribel Verdu (Pan's Labyrinth) and Daniel Giménez Cacho. Blancanieves was the Spanish entry for 'Best Foreign Language' Oscar award but could not make it to shortlist. Although the film won 'Special Jury Prize at San Sebastián International Film Festival - Macarena García won Silver Shell for Best Actress ex-aequo - 'Best Foreign Film' at César Awards. It received several Goya Awards (including Best Film). Editing by Alfonso de Vilallonga - director of photography 'Kiko de la Rica'.

Set in 1920s - A popular and rich bullfighter Antonio (Daniel) is watched by his pregnant wife in a fully-crowded arena, as he is run over by the bull due to some accident. Both Antonio and his wife fight for their lives at the hospital - his wife dies giving birth to his daughter as he becomes permanently crippled. Encarna (Maribel) a devilish nurse at hospital has set her eyes on popularly rich bullfighter - taking advantage of Antonio's refusal to see his newly born daughter, she proceeds to marry him and take over his estate. Carmen grows up under harsh treatment by his stepmother who has forced on her to live in shabby cellar - she is forbidden to go next-level story of the house where her father resides whom she has never seen in until her teenage years. Encarna has been keeping her husband in torment condition, while she herself engages in kinky show with her new boyfriend. One day she asks her boyfriend to take Carmen in woods and kill her - from where Carmen is picked up by bullfighting dwarves who save her.

It was charming and attractive when I played this movie. The Artist cheated us by containing spoken dialogues somewhere, but in case of Blancanieves we have been sincerely served by classic touch of cinematography and editing. I reckon had there been no 'The Artist' this movie should have all the opportunities of winning or receiving Oscar nomination. There is significant level of emotion in this story - it does wet your eyes. Garnering of plenty of dark-humor in it. For sometime I have been thinking that how could I have missed it for so long - I just envy those who are going to suck it up on the first come first serve basis.

Berger's inspiration for making this film came by watching bullfighting dwarves (España Oculta) - over the next few years he put it on himself to raising enough money through funds to bring his concept on silver-screen. Berger has also disclosed his frustration in his interviews over how he got pissed off at the release of Oscar-winning 'The Artist'. He simply regards this piece of art as his 'love letter to European silent cinema'

NOTE: The title of the film on RT carries 2012 - however the theater-release of the film was March 29, 2013
½ January 28, 2014
After 70 years Disney gets a riposte... almost as dramatic as Svankmajer's Alice. and a lovely way to handle the number of dwarves.
January 27, 2014
Finally got to see Blancanieves. Great
January 24, 2014
OK. Didn't it was a silent movie going in. The ending was ridiculously sad
January 22, 2014
The most beautiful version of Snow White story I've ever watched.
½ January 15, 2014
Impresionante fotografía. Buen drama en un principio pero la historia pierde el hilo y cae con algunas escenas cómicas que parecen absurdas.
January 12, 2014
Incredibly original. Next to The Artist, it looks at first like it would be a gimmick, but from the cinematography to the costumes, they pulled it off rather well.
January 12, 2014
Unique and odd movie, sad ending
½ January 6, 2014
Une vraie merveille. Un film poétique, délicat, élégant qui conjugue beauté des plans, de la lumière, des acteurs.
December 30, 2013
A Spanish twist of the tale of Snow White, Silent , filmed in black & white and set in 20s Spain in the world of bullfighting. Smell a hint of hipster pretension? Far from it. It's a glorious piece of film making and a tribute to silent cinema.
It is a great twist on the classic fairy tale. The cast is brilliant and it is a gorgeous film to watch. Alfonso de Vilallonga's rich soundtrack is a pleasure on the ears too.
December 29, 2013
Easily the best film I have seen in years. That's a big call but deservedly so.
December 27, 2013
me urge ver esta .............
½ December 24, 2013
A unique and original take on the Grimm tale of Snow White (Snow-Drop). The backdrop for this story is traditional Spanish bullfighting, with matadors being the heroics of the time. The film does a great job displaying contrasts between the archetypal goods and evils of the wicked stepmother and snow white. Keep in mind, this is not the fairy tale, word for word. And this is not a fairy tale, for the plot isn't ruled by happily ever after; it's somewhat ambiguous. This film feels like a fusion between the old tale and Spanish magical realism elements, where there is magic, but grounded in a grim, realistic realm.

All in all, I enjoyed this film. The absence of dialogue brings some melancholy to the grim themes of abandonment and parental loss addressed by Berger, where music and facial expressions must fuel emotion in the audience. When the film can let out and be cheery, it's whimsical and elegant, nostalgic for a distant time, a long time ago.

Highly recommended for the fantasy lover, or the film lover in your heart.
December 21, 2013
Bardzo dobre kino! Polecam!
½ December 14, 2013
December 10, 2013
Blancanieves follows The Artist in what at the moment seems to be a homage to silent film, whether it develops into a full blown new-wave might depend on how well subsequent films are received. With Blancanieves I wasn't completely blown away. Technically it gets everything thing right but the story lacked the charm which made The Artist such a likable films. Of course Blancanieves never purports to be quite a light as The Artist was. It is altogether a darker vision. Perhaps with more complex films it will take time to forge a reputation, although judging from the scores Rotten Tomatoes I am in a slight minority.