Blazing Saddles - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Blazing Saddles Reviews

January 21, 2017
The best comedy of all time.
½ January 21, 2017
One of my top 10 movies of all time. So many quotable jokes, great visual gags, and I forgot how funny the songs and dances are. I feel like an idiot laughing so much, when Sam really doesn't think it's funny. I remember the first time I watched this movie, my brother and I and some of his friends rented a few movies on VHS for a weekend movie night, and this was one, along with Monty Python's the Holy Grail. I laughed so hard at both those movies, what a weekend.
I'm glad this film has become such the classic that it is, as there aren't many western-comedies (at least not good ones), and it's impressive how well this holds up 40 years later.
Watched on DVD at home, with a very hungover Sam (it was her birthday party last night!), January 21, 2017.
½ January 15, 2017
A true classic and staple of spoof movies, Mel Brooks creates an affectionate parodic tribute to Westerns of the 50s and 60s. While I do have the admit that the ending becomes a bit too nonsensical and wacky for my personal tastes, there are still so many hilarious moments and unforgettable characters to ignore here. Cleavon Little, Gene Wilder, Madeline Kahn, Harvey Korman, Dom Deluise: RIP. Such a talented group of actors all utilized perfectly in this film. See it!
January 11, 2017
Unpopular opinion alert: I thought this was just okay. Certainly funny at times, but incredibly dated to a modern viewer. A bit too much vulgar humor for my taste, too.

Grade: c+
½ December 18, 2016
Mabey Mel's funniest movie but not his best but a close second.
October 6, 2016
It's outrageous offensiveness and looney tunes-style goofy humour is practically guaranteed to have you laughing.
October 2, 2016
In light of Gene Wilder's recent death, AMC was honoring his legacy by premiering two of Wilder's movies in theaters: Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory and the 1974 film Blazing Saddles. I myself have seen Willy Wonka several times growing up, but I've never even heard of Blazing Saddles. I was given a quick and easy synopsis from someone who had seen it and grown up with it. Basically, my companion stated, "This kind of movie wouldn't have been made today with our PC culture". It's very much true pertaining to this movie it contains harsh humor, openly offensive language, and is not even apologetic about it. However, the harsh humor, openly offensive language, and unapologetic attitude are entirely what makes this film work and why it is considered a classic.
October 1, 2016
Filled with often silly and a little bit subtle humor, carried by two amazingly likeable leads and capped with a fantastic climax, Blazing Saddles will occasionally encounter bumps in the road (flatulence) but still ranks well among Mel Brooks' legacy.
September 16, 2016
Hilarious in tone and musical acted, Blazing Saddles defines the Western genre into great slap stick comedy.
½ September 14, 2016
A non-stop spectacle of joke after joke after joke after joke. WHich would sometimes make it seems less linear as a plot but that doesn't matter too much. What really matters are the timing of the jokes and how they're delivered. And man do these actors know how to deliver these lines.
September 11, 2016
Not that the movie was the least bit irrelevant over time, but it may be the seasoning needed to wash the bad taste in the mouth of today. Mel Brooks brings up the realness of the Old West. Not only is the premise provocative, but so is it's humor. Everyone in the cast, from Brooks himself to Gene Wilder knocks it out of the ballpark with the delivery of their lines, and many of the gags tickle every funny bone imaginable in the human body. It's certain in its crazy and funny to the core.
September 11, 2016
The only film I know that tackles racism and gets away with it! A classic comedy from Mel Brooks and it still holds up!
September 9, 2016
A overall funny film, with one of the most absurd and hilarious climaxes in any comedy ever.
September 8, 2016
"Blazing Saddles" is an amazingly hilarious comedy from Mel Brooks that has a truly terrific script that is jam-packed with jokes and an amazing cast, especially the late Gene Wilder. May he forever rest in peace. If you love comedies then you will love (and probably have already seen) this classic.
September 8, 2016
A great comedy that, while it's not aged well, pulls in nonstop laughs.
September 4, 2016
Great Comedy! It does an excellent job spoofing the Western Genre.
September 3, 2016
one of the best that can never be made again.
September 3, 2016
Really enjoyed it. So funny.
½ September 2, 2016
I'm not sure this era's mixture of immense silliness and patient pacing always hits me the way it does others. However, Brooks most (arguably) acclaimed film is a success because of two things: 1) it takes the stupidity of racism to its furthest extent in order to point out its idiocy, and 2) it is the kind of spoof that is more homage than straight parody, proving Brooks' great love for the genre. And that (literal) 4th-wall-breaking ending is gleeful, punk-rock perfection.