Blazing Saddles - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Blazing Saddles Reviews

March 18, 2017
Blazing Saddles is constantly Irreverent, politically incorrect to a fanatical degree; and disarmingly hilarious. Though the film may not be the best Mel Brooks spoof film, it is worth the watch.
½ March 17, 2017
Mel Brooks' 'Blazing Saddles' wasn't quite as funny as i remembered from days gone by, but it will still catch you with a few gutbusters, while providing ground breaking comedic set pieces.
½ March 11, 2017
A lot of the jokes and set pieces remain sharp and occasionally shocking, especially the racially charged premise. The ending manages to feel both innovate and disappointing. As a whole it doesn't quite stand up to Brooks' greater works (The Producers and Young Frankenstein among them).
½ March 10, 2017
Blazing Saddles is a wonderful spoof on Westerns and a satire to Hollywood in general. Mel Brooks doesn't pull any punches and has a number of memorable gags. Some last too long, but just barely detract from the film's overall quality.
March 8, 2017
Will never forget the first time seeing this and the campfire scene played...still brings tears to my eyes...
February 20, 2017
Blazing Saddles is directed and co-written by Mel Brooks, and it stars Cleavon Little, Gene Wilder, Harvey Korman, Madeline Kahn, and Mel Brooks in a western satire about people not appreciating that the new sheriff is black, and there are danger lurking around the city that the citizens need him now then ever. Now after seeing Spaceballs, I figured I should watch Blazing Saddles in my DirecTV list since it's the only Mel Brooks film that I have in there. So with that said, Blazing Saddles is much better than Spaceballs. The acting is just as good as Spaceballs, especially the chemistry between Cleavon Little and Gene Wilder which brings out some interesting story and great jokes. The jokes never seem to be in a hateful way, especially the racism jokes as they got me smiling, but it wasn't in a positive aspect from those jokes as it's still a touchy subject. Characters are memorable, and the plot is interesting in the way it plays itself so outrageous, but still manages to be original enough that plays the traditional aspects of western movies while also putting in refreshing aspects that make this film stand out. Blazing Saddles is a hilarious film that it's interesting to also see the history of how it was almost not in theaters, and if that happened, then the viewers wouldn't be able to see this classic.
February 14, 2017
A comedy classic. Mel Brooks' best film.
February 3, 2017
this is one of my top 5 comedy movies of ALL time along with Spaceballs and Monty Python's Holy Grail. Also, Harvey Korman my be one of the most under-rated actors of all time. I can watch this at any time <3
January 21, 2017
The best comedy of all time.
½ January 21, 2017
One of my top 10 movies of all time. So many quotable jokes, great visual gags, and I forgot how funny the songs and dances are. I feel like an idiot laughing so much, when Sam really doesn't think it's funny. I remember the first time I watched this movie, my brother and I and some of his friends rented a few movies on VHS for a weekend movie night, and this was one, along with Monty Python's the Holy Grail. I laughed so hard at both those movies, what a weekend.
I'm glad this film has become such the classic that it is, as there aren't many western-comedies (at least not good ones), and it's impressive how well this holds up 40 years later.
Watched on DVD at home, with a very hungover Sam (it was her birthday party last night!), January 21, 2017.
½ January 15, 2017
A true classic and staple of spoof movies, Mel Brooks creates an affectionate parodic tribute to Westerns of the 50s and 60s. While I do have the admit that the ending becomes a bit too nonsensical and wacky for my personal tastes, there are still so many hilarious moments and unforgettable characters to ignore here. Cleavon Little, Gene Wilder, Madeline Kahn, Harvey Korman, Dom Deluise: RIP. Such a talented group of actors all utilized perfectly in this film. See it!
January 11, 2017
Unpopular opinion alert: I thought this was just okay. Certainly funny at times, but incredibly dated to a modern viewer. A bit too much vulgar humor for my taste, too.

Grade: c+
½ December 18, 2016
Mabey Mel's funniest movie but not his best but a close second.
October 6, 2016
It's outrageous offensiveness and looney tunes-style goofy humour is practically guaranteed to have you laughing.
October 2, 2016
In light of Gene Wilder's recent death, AMC was honoring his legacy by premiering two of Wilder's movies in theaters: Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory and the 1974 film Blazing Saddles. I myself have seen Willy Wonka several times growing up, but I've never even heard of Blazing Saddles. I was given a quick and easy synopsis from someone who had seen it and grown up with it. Basically, my companion stated, "This kind of movie wouldn't have been made today with our PC culture". It's very much true pertaining to this movie it contains harsh humor, openly offensive language, and is not even apologetic about it. However, the harsh humor, openly offensive language, and unapologetic attitude are entirely what makes this film work and why it is considered a classic.
October 1, 2016
Filled with often silly and a little bit subtle humor, carried by two amazingly likeable leads and capped with a fantastic climax, Blazing Saddles will occasionally encounter bumps in the road (flatulence) but still ranks well among Mel Brooks' legacy.
September 16, 2016
Hilarious in tone and musical acted, Blazing Saddles defines the Western genre into great slap stick comedy.
½ September 14, 2016
A non-stop spectacle of joke after joke after joke after joke. WHich would sometimes make it seems less linear as a plot but that doesn't matter too much. What really matters are the timing of the jokes and how they're delivered. And man do these actors know how to deliver these lines.
September 11, 2016
Not that the movie was the least bit irrelevant over time, but it may be the seasoning needed to wash the bad taste in the mouth of today. Mel Brooks brings up the realness of the Old West. Not only is the premise provocative, but so is it's humor. Everyone in the cast, from Brooks himself to Gene Wilder knocks it out of the ballpark with the delivery of their lines, and many of the gags tickle every funny bone imaginable in the human body. It's certain in its crazy and funny to the core.