Blazing Saddles - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Blazing Saddles Reviews

August 29, 2016
Is still an all time classic - Gene Wilder at his best! One of the few films I would give five stars...
½ August 24, 2016
Cheeky, spicy and flamboyant! Keep it up and I might give them some blazing sandals.
½ July 13, 2016
Looking a bit dated 42 years later but still a lot of fun.
July 1, 2016
Funny, well-directed and cleverly Meta.
June 30, 2016
Banzé no OesteBanzé no Oeste - 1974 - Gene Wilder
½ June 29, 2016
Widely regarded by many accounts I hear to be the best Mel Brooks movie, I found it to be by far the worst. A really over the top(even for Brooks) forced together piece of mush. Its racist vibe definitely does not stand the test of time. Men in Tights remains the pinnacle of Brooks.
½ June 20, 2016
Mel Brooks nos presenta todo un clásico de la comedia con "Blazing Saddles" la historia del primer sheriff negro (Cleavon Little en actitud Bugs Bunny) y su acompañante Jim, el pistolero más rápido del oeste (un excelente Gene Wilder), quienes se enfrentan a Hadley Lamarr (un perfecto Harvey Korman) quien quiere destruir un pueblo completo para imponer una vía de ferrocarril. Se incluye también a una inolvidable Madeleine Kahn como una cantante alemana inspirada en Marlene Dietrich. "Blazing Saddles" está llena de chistes que funcionan, parodias perfectas a los clichés del género Western y un final que es la anarquía total. Imperdible.
June 13, 2016
Another Mel Brooke's classic! Gene Wilder is by far my favorite part of this movie. The comedy is light and in-your-face at the same time. Wonderful.
June 12, 2016
It has been a while since I last watched Blazing Saddles. Mel Brooks is a very comedic actor, director and producer. In this movie he created a very racist impact that you can't believe the words used in any kind of style. One of the biggest brawls heads into a sound stage and transforms somehow into the future. Overall it was a good movie. I had downgraded the number of stars I had given from my original review.
June 4, 2016
This film definitely could not be made now, but as a farce and a satire of the prevailing racial views of the time, it is a smash hit.
½ June 4, 2016
But dated, very racist... But very funny in parts
May 26, 2016
One of the greatest comedy I've seen! Mel Brook's best!
½ May 17, 2016
Politically Incorrect, Funny and loved it!
May 10, 2016
Caught this on cable tv tonight - funny how some old things are new again (watch this movie and see what I mean).
½ May 2, 2016
Crude, lewd, and would still be a success if it came out today. A classic example of a film pushing limits and seeing success.
½ May 1, 2016
Mel Brooks is someone who i love, and have lots of respect for. I love all of his movies in one way or another. ''The Producer'' (1967) is one of the funniest movies ever made, and ''Space Balls'' (1987) and ''Young Frankenstein'' (1974) are one of the best spoof's ever made. (''Robin Hood: Men in Tights'' (1993), ''Silent Movie'' (1976), ''High Anxiety'' (1977), and History of the World: Part I (1981), are decent spoofs, that have their moments)

''Blazing Saddles'' (1974) is no different. It is racist, offensive, it doesn't have a lot of classy polish, its structure is a total mess, the story line is pretty shaky. But damn, this movie is one hilarious film. I was gasping for air throughout the whole film because i was laughing constantly. The writing is excellent, the dialogue on point and the story is brilliantly hilarious. The performances are incredible, every actor (even the minor ones) have impeccable comedic timing which is one of many things that make this movie excellent.

The story is fantastic, and it is something you would think, no one would think off. In this rfilm a greedy land developer named Hedley greases palms of insane an insane governor (beautifully portrayed by Mel Brooks himself, easily the funniest performance out of everyone in the film) to induce his help to snatch land to build Hedley's railroad. A key piece of land, Rock Ridge, is a town where everyone seems to be named Johnson, all deeply entrenched in the town. The governor tries to help Hedley rid himself of the townspeople; first, he appoints black sheriff Bart for Rock Ridge. Next, Hedley sics Lili von Shtupp, "Teutonic Twit" on Bart. With the help of his sidekick, The Waco Kid, Bart fights for his new town. But, the politicos fight back. (The last 20 minutes, are so meta, and self referential, it could be distracting for some (me in the beginning) but hilarious to most. (me in the end)

All in all, ''Blazing Saddles'' is a hilarious movie and a masterpiece in the genre of comedy. No matter what your opinion/prejudice is of the movie, you're unlikely to be bored.
April 27, 2016
Incredible fourth wall breaking.
½ April 24, 2016
A classic comedy from the mastermind of Mel Brooks.A must see.
½ April 19, 2016
Wow, this was bad. Comedies from the 70's just do not hold up well. I would literally challenge anyone to watch this and tell me where I was supposed to laugh.