Bless Me, Ultima - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bless Me, Ultima Reviews

½ October 30, 2013
A bit of an odd film, but not bad and the scenery is beautiful.
October 24, 2013
Interesting movie, makes you create your own "The end".
October 20, 2013
Its a great story and i recommended.
It shows the values, religious views as well as other believes of a Mexican family and of the community during the 40s. Shows hows a lil boy see it through and thinks about the good and evil things that happens and of the questions we all have about God.
½ October 16, 2013
The most passionate movie of 2013. It really makes you believe in magic, and that there is both good and evil.
October 10, 2013
Very good! Beautiful, touching.
½ October 5, 2013
While this isn't an outstanding coming-of-age film, it is a very intelligent story about this boy who loses his religion. I don't mean to say that the movie is strictly anti-religion, it's just a movie that asks questions about it and Antonio's inquisitive nature drives him to understanding the universe and why evil happens in it and why would god allow such terrible things to happen. This might be a question that the religious would try to brush away by saying that he gave us free will and that this is the work of men. And that's a valid point, I would never disagree with that, but at the same time if all of this is god's creation and it's all a part of his divine plan then he should also be held responsible, right? I don't mean to get into a debate about this, I'm just pointing out why Antonio, even at his young age, would be curious about these things and the effect they have on humanity. So, in that regard, I found the movie to actually be quite insightful and intelligent. If there is a problem is that Ultima was the person that made Antonio question all these things, she pretty much sent him on a life-changing experience. Yet, we never got to see much of Antonio's and Ultima's relationship. We got the important bits, but I never really felt as if that was enough to create this bond that will still live on even after Ultima's death. The acting's more than solid, sometimes Luke Ganalon, who plays Antonio, leaves a lot to be desired but he's good overall and Miriam Colon is incredible here because she commands a certain respect that the character of Ultima required, and she's certainly the highlight of the film. The story is strong but not outstanding, I think it's probably a better read than it is a movie. And that's saying something because I thought this film was pretty damn good with a magical charm about it. It asks some interesting questions and it has a great deal of insight. It's certainly not a perfect film, but it's pretty damn good nonetheless.
½ October 4, 2013
Whether it was meant by the makers of it or not, this movie happens to portray Catholicism in a pretty hypocritical light. It's upsetting.
September 28, 2013
"In the name of all that is good, and strong and beatutiful, I bless you..." It's a good movie.
September 23, 2013
Although Bless Me, Ultima can feel a bit overstuffed, it's an honest and naturalistic kids' story about growing up Mexican-American.
September 20, 2013
Aweome Movie. Touching..
September 20, 2013
Read the book by Rudolfo Anaya and loved it. Loved the movie as well!
½ September 12, 2013
Lacks magic and realism
September 4, 2013
The book was not great and I have no interest in seeing this movie
April 15, 2013
It is a movie that does something different. One that you don't usually see. The setting --- the Southwest in the 40's, the culture -- Mexican Americans retaining aspects of ancient culture, and the mystic, magical realism, make this a lovely and interesting film. Told from the point of view of a young boy, but celebrating the wisdom of older people and old ways, it is a film that several generations could enjoy on its own terms.
March 28, 2013
Saw it and loved it! :)
½ March 19, 2013
A wonderful film set in New Mexico in the late 1949's. Tells the story of a Mexican American family, sons returning from the war and the special relationship between a grandmother who uses traditional remedies to treat illness, and her youngest grandchild whom she teaches. A very moving film.
½ March 17, 2013
great film! good historical and cultural texture
½ March 15, 2013
Beautifully filmed story of a young boy facing some big life questions in post war New Mexico.
March 15, 2013
Great film about spiritualism, humanity and familia.