Bless the Beasts and Children - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bless the Beasts and Children Reviews

March 5, 2015
Objectively, this isn't a very good film; The acting, barring Robins and Mumy is poor, the flashbacks are not used as effectively as in the book, and the book's ending has its impact washed away. However, the film's hamminess and strange endearing qualities, as well as the fact that I laughed at this harder and more frequently than I have in any other movie make this a must watch for people who read the book or want a movie to watch while intoxicated.
Objective Verdict: C-
Enjoyment Verdict: A+
February 24, 2012
A rare TCM showing of this film allowed me to finally put images & story to music by Barry DeVorzon & Perry Botkin, Jr. that I had listened to for 30 years. (The Carpenters title song was a hit and one of the score's themes became best known as "Nadia's Theme." ) It's an interesting, although very dated now, tale of 6 misfit boys at a summer camp who are ostracized. After witnessing the brutal killing of buffalo at a "fair" they decide to go back and free them. Through the course of the story you get their backstories as they bond together. The film is very much a metaphor for the period in which it was made (the early 70s) and it is somewhat heavy handed at times but what is interesting is that even with its flaws it tackles most of the subject matter in a very thought provoking way.
½ February 24, 2012
a perfect example of the theme song becoming more popular than the movie!
January 22, 2011
Great movie. This movie clearly suggests some of the reasons people do wreckless actions. Wreckless behavious is often the end-product of complex issues and past events. In this movie most people did not care for people who are "different". This drives the "different" ones into wrecklessness. Highly recommended.
July 31, 2009
Obscure Must See!
Underdog Goonies Come Together Over Me!
Ditto the book!
June 10, 2009
I first read the book. It was very good. I then saw the movie. It was pretty good for its time. Billy Mumy from TV's LOST IN SPACE was in it and was well known. The CARPENTERS, a very popular music group of the time, made the theme song. Stanley Kramer, a famed producer and director made the film. The story involved a group of misfit kids trying to achieve something pretty difficult and idealistic. It was heroic stuff that ended tragically. For a boy under 14 of that time--it was a great film and I must have watched it dozens of times. It's a little dated now, However, if you're of the 70's this a good rainy day movie.
July 26, 2008
Questionable writing and editing, but I love it!!
July 23, 2008
Misfits unite! A very touching film. Great adaptation of the book.
½ February 7, 2008
Good book too. I recommend reading it.
February 4, 2008
Twisted film about what happens to misfit kids sent to camp. Another midnight flick that gave me bad dreams as a kid.
½ January 16, 2008
Kinda sappy and not all of it is the best acting, but I really liked the story and the message.