Blissfully Yours (Sud Sanaeha) Reviews

• Carlos M Super Reviewer
    Apr 04, 2016

A languid film that wants to capture a moment in time and create an evocative atmosphere with an immersive sound design, but director Apichatpong Weerasethakul seems to think that idyllic and tedious are the same, and so the film ends up having the effect of a sleeping pill.

• Jul 01, 2014

This is a movie about almost nothing. It reminded me of Jerry Seinfeld's olde series, without the humor. The movie takes place in one day. There are long, lingering scenes of life in Thailand. These may evoke something of a mood; but I could not detect it. It seemed the director was just trying to fill out the running time of his movie. For example, there are scenes of water flowing in a stream for long moments. What there is to the plot involves two women. They are friends/acquaintances. The older woman is married. A child has died. She wants another child. Her husband is less enthusiastic. She has an affair with a co-worker. The younger woman works in a boring factory job. She hates it. She has a boyfriend who is an illegal alien. The boyfriend has a persistent skin problem. A lot of attention is paid to his skin condition. They head out one afternoon for a picnic in the forest. There are some sexual goings-on. And that is the movie. Don't bother to see this film. Some professional critics saw something in it to admire and recommend. I could not find it. There are much better choices. This was a bad trip to the flics.

• May 23, 2014

Somewhat dreamlike and disjointed film with an unpredictable narrative and often long, still shots. The beginning is pretty banal but as the plot emerges it quickly becomes more interesting. This won't satisfy action fans but it is a beautifully filmed oddball film as revolutionary in its way as Pulp Fiction. I suspect though a knowledge of Thai culture and events would help, though much of the film occurs away from the "real world". Worth warning (for those who worry about these things) about couple of surprisingly frank sex scenes as well but like everything else in this film they are slightly discomforting and dislocating

• Apr 06, 2014

This movie starts off with an incredibly hypnotizing style of long subtle takes and natural dialogue. I do think it gets a little long winded towards the end and isn't as great as Uncle Boonme or Tropical Malady, but still an exceptionally strong film about love, and it's power to move people forward despite the worst of circumstances. Not for casual film audiences because of it's idle narrative functions. Also I've never seen a movie where the credit and title come on 45 minutes in.

• Dec 04, 2012

art house? more like FART HOUSE.

art house? more like FART HOUSE.

• Jun 01, 2012

I guess Weerasethakul achieved his aim here, it's certainly a peaceful and tranquil film that show a relationship escaped from society as it's most basic and human. The sounds of the forest even work as a soundtrack in itself, but I can't really say I find it engaging. Maybe if he spent more time developing Min's character instead of his erection.

• Apr 09, 2012

En voie de découvrir un réalisateur de talent qu'est Apichatpong Weerasethakul.

En voie de découvrir un réalisateur de talent qu'est Apichatpong Weerasethakul.

• Jan 15, 2012

Gorgeous film about the corrupting influence of greed.

Gorgeous film about the corrupting influence of greed.

• May 21, 2011

very slow and hard to follow, but well worth it for those who are open minded to new styles of story telling. yeah, fucking in the woods and nobody gets killed with a machette or anything.

• May 18, 2011

A quiet, evocative slice-of-life non-story without starting point or end in a classical sense. Told in a slow rhythm, which is almost hypnotic, giving no explanations and simply rolling along it feels very much like life itself.