Block-Heads Reviews

• Feb 26, 2015

Still enjoyable and not ready to get tired of Laurel and Hardy as they are still obviously having fun. Silly plot, but at least they keep it original.

• Nov 25, 2013

This consistently entertaining Laurel and Hardy caper plays out less than a plot-driven story and more like a series of sketches presented in three acts: the boys battle in the Great War, they're reunited at a veteran's home, Hardy invites Laurel over to his apartment. That being said, 'Block-Heads' demonstrates the ingenious pair at their physical comedy best. Some of the gags have been reused from their shorts (such as 1928's 'We Faw Down') but are strung together with fresh material to make a cohesive, rib-tickling film.

• Jul 21, 2013

Great Laurel and Hardy classic!

Great Laurel and Hardy classic!

• May 03, 2013

• Apr 08, 2013

One of my absolute favourites - anything with lots of Billy Gilbert is fine by me.

• Sep 11, 2012

not their best but still enjoyable if u need a laugh

not their best but still enjoyable if u need a laugh

• Oct 18, 2011

An average Laurel and Hardy movie here. They're doing some predictable stuff here... But I do like the beginning, when Stan is left behind in a bunker during a battle in World War I, and stays there guarding it... for 20 years. Why that wasnt explored (much) more is beyond me, instead they almost ummediately go into schtick.

• May 09, 2011

• Mar 01, 2011

Rather incredibly, Ollie is happily married in this film, at least until he brings his old army pal Stan home with him (Stan has spent the last twenty years guarding his post in the trenches - no-one told him the war had ended). Mrs H isn't keen, which is a bit unfair - Stan is more alien than idiot, and a likeable alien at that, keeping a glass of water and ice in his pockets, using his hand as a pipe, and pulling down the shadows of window blinds. The dialogue is brilliant, but the true genius of L&H lies in their delivery, and the non-verbal little bits of comic business that were their stock-in-trade. My favourite scene involves a football being kicked down 13 flights of stairs and hitting a man with the most extraordinary hair in the face (twice). If, like me, you're a connoisseur of films where grown men kick each other up the 'Arris then this is possibly the Citizen Kane of such a genre. James "Double-take" Finlayson and Patricia Ellis give good solid support but Billy Gilbert threatens to steal the show as the hunter returned from Africa. God knows what nationality he's supposed to be, but he's riotously over-the-top. In a good way.

• Nov 11, 2010

Pure comedy. Entertaining and funny.

Pure comedy. Entertaining and funny.