Blood Night (Blood Night: The Legend of Mary Hatchet) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Blood Night (Blood Night: The Legend of Mary Hatchet) Reviews

½ May 20, 2012
Long Island, 1978: A young girl named Mary Mattock gruesomely murders her family with a hatchet and is locked away for life in Long Island's notorious Kings Park Psychiatric Centre. Ten years later, Mary escapes from the asylum, leaving a grizzly trail of bodies and blood in her wake. Gunned down by the police, Mary meets her own demise outside the sanitarium walls. This incident gave birth to the legend of Mary Hatchet's walking ghost and the mischievous night named in honour of her death, BLOOD NIGHT! Stemming from the real life Long Island legend of Mary Hatchet, Blood Night: The Legend of Mary Hatchet tells the tale of a group of teenagers enjoying their annual Blood Night festivities, when they come face to face with the reality of this haunting legend. One by one, the teens begin to disappear and meet their fate. As the body count rises, so do the unanswered questions about their missing friends and the secrets of Mary's horrifying past. Is there more to this legend than the vengeful ghost of Mary Hatchet? And if so, who will survive to tell the terrifying tale? So after watching this movie, I wanted to review it straight away but I couldn't really find out exactly how I felt about it. In one way, it's one of the best horrors I've seen in ages and in another way, it's just the same as the other horrors released. The story is okay and had the Halloween feel to it, which I liked but then it started to go a little out of hand. The acting is average, most of the performances given were quite bad but there were one or two actors who were okay...ish. The direction is done well and the cinematography is great as well. The special effects and the scenes were executed very well but I must warn that this isn't for the faint-hearted as this probably has more gore in the first ten minutes than Saw does.

I liked how the movie reverted back to the eighties horror-slasher movie style just like the eighties version of Halloween and mixed it with the latest horror style by adding the gore. I don't usually like gore in movies that's used only to scare the audience with no jumpy bits or nothing. The movie has one or two scenes which were a little creepy but there were a couple of scenes that were executed poorly and made the movie more of a clichť such as doors slamming off hinges and getting the Ouija board to contact Mary from beyond the grave. The story was pretty much average and started promising but as the movie went on, it started to get more and more ridiculous, however this doesn't surprisingly spoil the movie much as you kind of expected it to get a little silly in a way. The introduction part about Mary Hatchet was brilliantly done in my opinion and after the introduction finished, that was when the story started to go downhill. The teenagers planning a party on 'Blood Night' was all-good but it was when the killings started, that was when the story started to plummet very fast. The acting was below average and some were convincing as their characters but there weren't really anyone that stood out in the movie. The characters weren't so bad but they're your stereotypical teenage characters who think of nothing but sex, parties and booze and it doesn't go any deeper than that. There wasn't really any depth to their characters and you didn't exactly care who lived or died as most of the characters were pretty much the same. The cinematography was great and the gory kill scenes were done very well but other than that, there isn't really much I can say.

This is quite an odd movie because, although I've not really been praising the movie, it has something likeable about it, which you can't really put your finger on. Whether it be your typical eighties cheesy horror flick modernised or the gore or the 'scary' scenes, there are some elements in the movie that different horror fans may love. I think if you're a fan of the Halloween series or a fan of classic eighties B-movie horrors then you may like this.
½ May 15, 2012
Mary Hatchet rise again!!!
½ April 27, 2012
Blood Night is you're basic run of the mill slasher movie taking a lot of notes from classics like Halloween and Prom Night. But for what it's worth, its a fair bit of fun. The gore is great, the story is decent (a bit predictable) and the script is actually quite good. And hey, its always good to see Bill Moseley on screen, plus the added treat of Dannielle Harris. Sex, violence and alcohol equals a winning formula in my books.
April 12, 2012
This movie was boring and geared for 14 year old boys with immense hormones apparently because it was all body parts and gratuitous sex scenes. The acting was ridiculous and I wanted to kill the actors myself for being so annoying.
April 10, 2012
I didn't think this movie was too bad. Horror/slasher genre fans will probably get more from this movie than casual movie goers. Its not perfect but I thought it was fun and a solid slasher flick with lots of blood and Danielle Harris! Viewing this movie as a low budget independent movie from a first time director I would say it was pretty good. Better than I was expecting.
February 14, 2012
Can't you tell a man wrote it, a girl gets her period and snaps.
January 15, 2012
Enjoyable, if predictable, old school style slasher film. A mental young, Mary, girl is put into an asylum for butchering her family but after going through some shit in there manages to escape but gets shot dead. Her exploits become infamous and her legacy of sorts is celebrated every year. This time it seems Mary may have come back from the dead as a buch of dudes at a party start getting killed one by one. As you might have guessed, this is your average slasher fair with blatant Halloween/Friday 13th influences. The prescence of brilliant Bill Moseley and Danielle Harris from Rob Zombies Halloween films and Hatchet 2 give it a bit of credibility and if your after a bit of random late night horror fun then Blood Night is worth a look just don't go in expecting some sort of horror classic.
December 24, 2011
Typical Teen Horror Fest. I bailed on this one 10 minutes into it. Bahhhh.
October 19, 2011
Dejlig dejlig slasher film, der i starten var lidt brutal, men desv√¶rre endte med at blive en smule fesen. En smule kun dog, og ikke s√• meget at det √łdelagde filmen. Uhygge var der ikke S√? meget af, men der var dog en del blod, og det er altid nizzle. Langt fra den bedste film i denne genre, men ogs√• langt fra den d√•rligste. Watch at your own risk!
October 15, 2011
It was bloody. When it wasn't, it was kind of boring. Not a horrible movie but with a better script and some better actors (Danielle Harris was pretty good) it could have been much better. This one's gold star is its gore, which flows heavy.
October 4, 2011
Despite a low budget and awkward effects Blood Night delivers a decent slasher flick. In fact it is exploitative, gory, and very much plays to all the slasher tropes and makes no apologies for it and it is a lot of fun. It takes a while to get going but once the teens are on the run and getting slaughtered one by one it is easy to get sucked in to it as you cheer for each and every cheap kill. We slasher horror fans are a sick bunch aren't we? The acting is pretty stiff but you can say the same for some early slasher flicks we've all come to love. Part of what makes it so much fun are the bad parts, making it a modern throwback to those slasher flicks from the days of yore.
September 24, 2011
Stuuupid and totally predictable
August 27, 2011
Wow I can not believe that I wasted my time watching this movie. It seemed liked they cared more about how many times that could show somebody naked or having sex and not enough about the story. It started out promising and then it got boring fast. The end was not all that bad either, I guess it was just the stuff in the middle that sucked really bad.
August 25, 2011
Absolutely hilarious! Turn back now if you are looking for quality cinema, but if you are looking for a nice B movie to chuckle at, bingo! The best part is, the movie isn't just so terrible that its laughable, the plot line is intentionally hilarious. With gratuitous amounts of nudity and not so creative, but completely grizzly scenes this is a predictable slasher comedy that you can't help but smile at. I would by no means call this a waste of time, unless you are looking for substance. If you've got nothing better to do and can appreciate a nice quality bad horror flick, this is for you.
August 15, 2011
I have to applaud the filmmakers for accomplishing a nice style and great death scenes. Unfortunately that is all this movie has to offer - plus a 45 Grave song. The characters are annoying brats, the dialogue made me bite my lip, it's too short, and there isn't much that makes 'Blood Night: The Legend of Mary Hatchet' different from other slashers. It plays to the stereotypical horror fan who loves tits and ass and a lot of blood - that's not me, I love gore but nudity for no apparent reason is a sign of compensating for the weaknesses of the movie.
½ August 13, 2011
This DIRECT-TO-DVD flick is nothing special. It's pretty much a teacher for anyone wanting to make a horror movie. Every cliche is thrown in (Alcohol, Sex, Gore, Teenagers and a Killer) and twisted around a very thin plot. Whilst alot of it was enjoyable, it is way too predictable and silly. I don't think the film was made to have depth and be scary, but to satisfy with bucketloads of death and gore, and in that sense it succeeded. The ending was stupid, but that happens when a horror movie has every cliche (and open ending).

The premise is simple. Blood Night is when teens get drunk every year on the nighty when Mary Hatchet escaped the mental hospital and killed everyone. It's intriguing, but the problem with the plot is that it's known throughout she won't stop until she finds her child (which was taken away from her when it was born). But inevitably she does find the child, now a teen, and nothing stops. Plot holes were visable throughout which gets really annoying after a while.

The acting wasn't exactly great, but it's passable. It just seemed like they had taken a bunch of people from a small agency and put 'em in the flick, which doesn't really bother me. Bill Mosely is one of 2 big name actors (in the horror genre). His performance as Graveyard Gus was a little over-the-top. Danielle Harris is probably the biggest scream queen of recent years, having roles in 14 in the last five years. She is just great to watch.

Overall Blood Night gets an A+ for effort and gore, but it's predictability and cliche's leave the viewer not completely satisfied. My rating is 2.5/5.
½ August 6, 2011
Saw this to support Danielle Harris, but not very good. The editing is INSANELY awful. Someone should never work again. Tons of nudity and gore cannot save it sadly. The twist is just so obvious before it even happens.
August 3, 2011
Why did they even let this movie be made? So horrible. Nothing but terrible effects, and terrible teenage actors simulating sex (poorly).. pathetic excuse for a movie.
July 30, 2011
This movie probably would have kicked ass... if I was still in high school.