Blood from the Mummy's Tomb - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Blood from the Mummy's Tomb Reviews

March 5, 2009
Valerie Leon is without the star of this with her heaving bosom - Phwoar! the story is bizarre to say the least but everyone plays there part in an enjoyable Hammer film
½ March 4, 2009
This film opens on the Moon, where an Egyptian princess has her hand severed and then fed to dogs, before a massive wind blows the severers down and somehow slits their throats! Do I need to say anymore? Produced by the famous Hammer studio on a miniscule budget, Blood from the Mummy's Tomb doesn't promise as much blood and gore as that awesome title suggests, but it is good fun (even though you will struggle to make sense of the proceedings). It lacks the presence of a Christopher Lee or a Peter Cushing, but it does have a leading actress with mahoosive bosoms and a killer snake. Kinda stupid and trashy, but fun.
bbcfloridabound
February 26, 2009
This Film is from the Hammer Collection, though I am in the early stages of collecting and reviewing Hammer Films, This one was not what I had hoped a Hammer Film would consist of. I love crawling hand movies, I remember growing up seeing a B&W Crawling Hand Movie on Chiller Theater and it creeped me out. This started off with the hand being cut off a Queen, it crawled around a little and that was it, until the last part of the film when we see it in a box. Disappointing. Valerie Leon was beautiful, and strutted her stuff around and I do me ROUND. My DVD had excellent quality for a 1971 film I was surprised. Some neat early vintage British Cars. One must acquire a taste for British Horror its the driest of all foreign horror. But I will give this one 3 stars.
January 28, 2009
Another great hammer film. Oh and the girl in it is hot.
January 16, 2009
Looking forward to seeing this one at City Screen in York, 20/02/09! It's been a long time since I last saw it, but Ms. Leon's luminous presence made a big impression...
½ November 3, 2008
Excellent Bram Stoker film. Hammer films are always so classy. Has more going for it than either remake (The Awakening, Legend Of The Mummy).
October 23, 2008
A bizzare mummy film since it involves no one in bandages wondering around terrorizing people. A truly fasincinating, if not ultimately great, entry in the Hammer canon.
July 21, 2008
I think this film has something to do with an archaeological expedition that uncovers the tomb of an ancient, evil, Egyptian queen Tara. Whose sprit inhabits the child (who was just born) of the leader of the expedition? But to be honest every time Valerie Leon is on screen, she is so beautiful and so powerfully attractive that I found it hard to concentrate on other aspects of the film? Not one of Hammers best, but well worth the watch for Leons mesmerising eyes and heaving bosom.
April 16, 2008
My varied cinematic diet has long included forays into cheesey sci-fi and horror, most notably Ed Wood's classics. While such films are not necessarily 'good' by the usual standards we use to judge works of cinema, if you accept them for what they are they can be great fun. Given that my expectations are automatically set to their lowest setting when it comes to such films, it was with great surprise that one of my grindhouse horror selections turned out to be not quite a grindhouse film at all, but a genuinely good (if somewhat cheap) horror film from the waning days of Hammer Film Productions.

An adaptation of Bram Stoker's The Jewel of Seven Stars, Blood from the Mummy's Tomb is quite typical of the Mummy film formula, except in this case the mummy is a woman. As is to be expected with this twist on the form, rather than the shambolic corpse Karloff rip-offs that usually litter the genre, the female mummy is perfectly preserved - and a looker to boot. The attractive and voluptuous English actress Valerie Leon plays a dual role as both the mummy and as a modern-day woman born in her image, and she largely carries the film in what would sadly prove her only lead role. It is to the credit of the filmmakers that while the film's wardrobe flatters Valerie Leon's impressively shapely figure, it never dips into the type of nudie exploitation one might expect from a 70s horror film.

Speaking of filmmakers, Blood from the Mummy's Tomb is notorious for its supposed real-life curse that saw the film's director Seth Holt die during the second last week of filming, and also saw original star Peter Cushing replaced by Andrew Keir after his wife became seriously ill. In spite of a few laughably cheap scenes (a scene of an automobile accident in particular), Blood from the Mummy's Tomb is a respectable last work for Holt, and while its resurgence has largely been due to a cult following, its a film that surpasses its limitations admirably.
½ April 3, 2008
Stylish, imaginative, unusual Mummy film from Hammer which goes completely against traditional cliches. Well worth a look.
February 11, 2008
Entertaining adaption of more Bram Stoker from Hammer. This time the tale concerns the reanimation of a perfectly preserved female evil mummy and the possesion so to speak of the daughter of the man who discovers her, daughter being born as he uncovers the tomb! Valerie Leon is excellent in the role of the daughter and has the assests to lie there as the mummy. Pretty atmospheric in places. While it appears to be a contempory 1970's setting also could be 100 years earlier in many ways and this adds to a bizarre dislocation from the setting.
Not the strongest Hammer has to offer but entertaining all the same.
January 18, 2008
Hammer once again delves into the mummy genre. Lots of fun and Valerie Leon certainly has what it takes to be a Hammer heroine.
January 2, 2008
I was frankly surprised by how good this film was. The plot is fun and interesting, performances all perfect, and the special effects brilliant as well. And the suspense is tangible! Highly recommended!
December 31, 2007
Valerie Leon is great, Hammer should´ve used her more. Michael Carreras never seemed to quite nail it the way that Terence Fisher did.
½ December 9, 2007
This falls into the category of "Not as good as I remember it being as a fourteen year-old allowed to stop up late on a Saturday night to watch the horror double bill on BBC2." However, it does have two very good points, both of which belong to star Valerie Leon - boom boom! Although this is set in 70s London, it looks like a period piece and apart from the film's characters the rest of the world appears strangely devoid of life thanks to a largely stage-bound production. In better hands this might have been an advantage, but here it just makes the film look cheap. There is (unintentional) fun to be had though, whether it is watching Leon's under-endowed body double leap out of bed, or the revelation that most people - especially the actors in this movie - still carrying on breathing after they are dead!
December 3, 2007
The picture says it all, since this mummy is a youg female she is inexplicably perfectly preserved (as opposed to the shrivaled mummified men normally on offer) - and starts bleeding whenever she moves a step closer to being resurected. Saying that though it is still a good Hammer horror film, with more suspence then some of the horror films on offer nowadays
November 1, 2007
Not interested. In general I don't like horror movies.
June 27, 2007
Weird and offbeat adaptation of Stoker's "Jewel of the Seven Stars" from Hammer. Far better than the 1980 version of the story, "The Awakening".

Proved that Hammer was still capable of making original and exciting horror films.
½ April 24, 2007
Professor Fuchs and his team unearth the tomb of the Egyptian Queen Tera (Valerie Leon) and discover that not only as her body not decomposed but her severed arm still seeps blood. At the same moment in time Fuchs' wife dies giving birth to their baby daughter, Margaret (Valerie Leon again). Skip forward to Margaret?s adult years and she is plagued with nightmares of Queen Tera's dismembered hand. Concerned that she is somehow in danger, Fuchs' gives her the Queens ring but little does he know that one of his former team members wants to use Margaret to revoke the mystical powers that the Queen once possessed.

Blood From The Mummy's Tomb had a troubled production and after the director died half-way through, talk of a curse circulated around the Hammer studio. Whilst one doubts that the film was under the influence of mystical powers, it is obvious that the various problems which arose had a direct impact on the final product. The disjointed script makes little sense and it feels like you are putting together a puzzle without the picture and more than one piece missing. The lack of the big Hammer hitters like Cushing or Lee did not always hurt their films but one could not help feel that their charismatic presence would have helped bolster the rather lightweight cast. Efforts at building suspense and atmosphere mostly fall flat but there are moments where the Hammer flair shines from, unfortunately it does not happen enough.

On the positive side the sets are well designed and it looks like a lot of time and effort went into the tomb's décor. Another bright spot is the positively stunning Valerie Leon who makes up for her lack of acting skills (even when she plays the dead Queen you can clearly see her breathing/twitching) by spending most of her time exposing her ample cleavage in a sleek black nightdress (a sexist comment I know but that is why Hammer chose such attractive women for their films). Despite the muddled script it is actually an interesting take on the mummy genre and had the potential to be a much better film in more competent hands.

If you are a fan of Hammer then you will no doubt want to see this effort, even if it is a weak one by their standards, but for casual viewers or those looking to explore the Hammer catalogue I suggest you start elsewhere (the Cushing/Lee titles for example). Worth a rent at least
½ February 16, 2007
The stunning Valerie Leon in a silk nightie is worth price of admission alone. Also a pretty good Horror flick.