Blood Games - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Blood Games Reviews

November 1, 2015
Vern: I bet this ol' country boy can teach them city bitches a thing or two.

Other guy: Shit Vern, you can't even beat your own meat.

Vern: I can beat it better than you can.
October 15, 2015
adding based on Joe Bob Briggs' recommendation
½ October 10, 2015
When a travelling girls baseball team challenges the local boys on the diamond, tempers escalate to war and goes to extra innings. Began as a home run but retreated to familiar survivalist fare. Individual in charge of wardrobe deserves a curtain call for the ladies' uniforms.
April 8, 2013
Incredibly masterful piece of trash cinema! Female baseball team in skimpy clothes (or sometimes naked), running through the forest, bending over, low camera angles, getting attacked by hilariously stupid bunch of rednecks and finally KICKING SOME ASS. The plot is just sooo stupid and does not make much sense, but who gives a shit, this as good as it can possibly get.
½ January 27, 2013
I can't even tell how often I have watched this B-movie on video when I was a young teenager. Back then, I found this story about these women being hunted by mean men incredibly empowering. These women just kicked ass and Laura Albert is a cutie. When I look at it now, I can't ignore the inevitable consequences of cheap movies, most prominently poor acting and silly dialogue. Yet, probably for nostalgic reasons, this movie still remains a valuable part of my movie collection.
½ October 27, 2012
A travelling girls baseball team wins a game and bet over beer guzzling locals leading to an extra innings fight for survival from a redneck posse. Laura Albert can hit cleanup for my team anytime. More entertaining than the Pittsburgh Pirates.
March 23, 2012
this was an awesome moviee I'm surprised it says it came out in the 90s felt more like early 80s
non the less it was a campy fun movie with sexy girls playing baseball with perky rednecks and things just go nuts def a plus if you like fun campy and over the top fun.
Beefy
½ August 24, 2011
The type of gloriously bad film you can only hope to luck upon once every few years. The dialogue is ferociously bad and incredibly funny.
½ January 25, 2010
½ December 31, 2009
Its a battle of the sexes and there can be only one winner.
December 21, 2009
So awful... so stunningly, unbelievably, disturbingly, incredibly bad that I couldn't help enjoying it. It's that sort of remarkably horrible, unintentionally entertaining film that a person with good taste can enjoy just because it allows him to make fun of it so easily. A cold one, some close friends, and this movie add up to a good time. I'm giving it 1 star because giving it any higher of a rating would be an insult to hundreds of other decent films. I did, however, get a kick out of watching this, but let me assure you - I wasn't sober. I randomly picked it from an ON DEMAND list, so if you have on demand and an itch to watch a laughably bad film, look no further.
November 21, 2009
it's a great movie, a must see.
May 18, 2009
they just couldnt mind their own damn business lol but they sure kicked some ass! lol
March 21, 2008
i think it cooooooooooooooooooooooool
½ January 13, 2008
A better synopsis than the official Flixster one: A bunch of rendecks lose an informal game of baseball to some bimbos. This angers them, so later, in a drunken rage they try and rape them. When they fight back from being raped, this angers the rednecks even more, so they hunt them down to kill them. But these hos ain't goin' out like that. Southern Comfort meets A League of Their Own!
July 22, 2007
This movie is what really inspired me to play ball. Screw Nolan Ryan's 6th No-Hitter. This movie has it all- heartwarming, coming of age tale, with sport triumphs and a great soundtrack. Oh..yeah and a lot of mindless T & A, poor special effects, a lot of blood and the most ridiculous plot imaginable. It goes without saying it's 5 star.
July 16, 2007
I'm only reviewing this for the benefit of my brother.
Ah...intensely boring weekends combined with a satellite dish. Do you think this went straight to video, Zach? hahahhahahah
June 16, 2004
Y'know, you'd think this flick would have more of a reputation. It's got a surefire exploitation premise--an all-girl softball team gets hunted down by a bunch of rednecks. It's got shower scenes, barroom brawls, car chases, and a gushing review from drive-in guru Joe Bob Briggs. And yet, it lacks a cult following. Released on video years ago, the film hasn't surfaced on DVD, and there's never been any call to even on the most desperate cult film message board.

Possibly because BLOOD GAMES isn't actually any good, and it's not an easy task to figure out why. It hits every exploitation element it can. It's got violence, nudity, and baseball. The acting is about par for the course. Briggs calls it "the most carefully made revenge flick in the past 20 years."

Which makes you wonder exactly what the usually-reliable Briggs was on. BLOOD GAMES starts off just fine, with Ross Hagen leading his team of "Babe and the Ballgirls" to a hard-earned victory over a group of stereotypical hicks. The win is supposed to net the team $1000, but Mino, the guy Hagen bets against, welshes and short changes them several bills. Hagen counters this by going to the local pub and beating the hell out of him in the bathroom.

Meanwhile, two of the girls (including Hagen's daughter Babe, played by DR. CALIGARI's Laura Albert) go off in search of their captain. They're attacked by Mino's son and his similarly red-necked friend, and Mino's son ends up getting killed in their rescue. Mino swears revenge, gathers up his gun-totin' friends, and starts stalking the team.

The rest is pretty formulaic, but director Tanya Rosenberg keeps things moving. It's just a shame there's never a reason to really care about anyone involved. With the exception of Babe, none of the softball team members are given any real individual traits, and since they're all wearing the same outfits, it quickly becomes a hassle just trying to tell the characters apart.

This would be fine if the film was done with an exceptional degree of, well, misanthropy, but everything's about as predictable as you can get. There's nothing particularly memorable about the attacks, especially since they're both commited by and towards folks the film's never bothered to establish.

Not to mention that the whole thing doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Why would Hagen drag a team of women down to the middle of nowhere to play softball for the reward of a mere $1000, which split amongst the team, would be a mere $100 a piece? How does the group of rednecks manage to catch up to the team's bus when they're clearly headed on a straight path out of town? Why doesn't this group, clearly in a town far away from home, bother carrying a map?

It's all pretty lame, unexceptional stuff, with neither enough wit, sleaze or character development to make it worth more than a really desperate choice for late-night viewing. It's like a musician that plays all the right notes, but you can tell their heart isn't into it.

Oh yeah, and the black woman dies first, so that's a case for the "black character must die" theory of exploitation.