Blood Oath (Prisoners of the Sun) Reviews

• Feb 06, 2017

Prisoners of the Sun (1990) C-108m. ???? D: Stephen Wallace. Bryan Brown, George Takei, Terry O'Quinn, Russell Crowe. Gripping POW drama about Japanese atrocities in death camps, journalists response. Underrated film bursts with heavy emotional impact, rich performances. Aka BLOOD OATH.

• Jan 24, 2014

There is no such thing as just another atrocity, but "Prisoners of the Sun" comes close to being a "just another atrocity" movie.

• Sep 03, 2012

Prisoners of the Sun is worth seeing for really only one reason, to see Russell Crowe in his big screen debut. Having only appeared in a few tv series to this point in his career Crowe plays Lt. Corbett the "pencil sharpener" for Terry O'Quinn, the lawyer who is prosecuting the Japanese soldiers for war-crimes committed during WWII. Prisoners of the Sun is a rather dull movie that becomes only slightly interesting because of its historical importance. The ending is depressing and will leave you upset (although that may be the point the director was trying to make) at the injustice the upper ranking officials allow their subordinates to pay for their offenses. Crowe fans should enjoy it for his appearance but Prisoners of the Sun won't appeal to many others.

• Cynthia S Super Reviewer
    Aug 19, 2012

Decently told story. Some of the acting (Asian) I found a little less than great....

• Mar 17, 2011

A very precious story, simply because it is Australian, but unfortunately poorly told, and filmed on a shoestring budget. Russel Crowe, Brian Brown, Terry O'Quinn and Toshi Shioya (Lt Tanaka) do a good job with the acting, but the script was terribly written, and much of the dialogue was not really believable. None the less a powerful film, and a story that should not be forgotten, simply because it is ours. It's a pity to realize that, while it is not alluded to in the film, Aussie troops also did massacre many Japanese prisoners quickly after they were captured in PNG and elsewhere, often in retaliation for the stories they had heard of the treatment of their fellow countrymen in Japanese custody. But the Aussies were never brought to trial for their actions, no matter how much we sympathize with their justified indignation. Thank God the past is the past, and today we are praying for the beautiful people of Japan, hoping that they recover from the earthquake that has devastated their country in the last week.

• May 14, 2010

Interesting, incisive and a bit on the dry side.

Interesting, incisive and a bit on the dry side.

• Mar 17, 2010

"Crowe's appearance alone simply doesn't warrant a viewing and there are so many better war and post war films out there that I'd be hard pressed to recommend running out and renting this. But again, if you're a fan of war trials and courtroom dramas you might get a little bit of enjoyment out of this, or at least find it interesting." This film is part of my 26 days of Russell Crowe please visit the following link for the full review. http://www.commonsensemoviereviews.com/2010/03/prisoners-of-sun-1990.html

• Aug 23, 2009

Gripping, powerful war drama with a young Russell Crowe. Recommended.

Gripping, powerful war drama with a young Russell Crowe. Recommended.

• Jul 31, 2009

Well, I came into this movie not expecting to enjoy it at all, but I was actually pleasantly surprised by it. The acting nod goes to Bryan Brown for doing a great job portraying a captain-turned-lawyer prosecuting all the japanese soldiers who ran a prison camp and were terrible at speaking English. The funny thing about this movie was that on the cover of the DVD, it made it seem like Russel Crowe was the star because his name was huge and bigger than Bryan Brown's and even George Takei's. This was very misleading because he only had maybe 7 or 8 lines in the whole movie. Then I realized that it was only a ploy to make people want to buy the DVD. I also hated the ending of the film. It was way too sudden and I really didn't enjoy it at all. Not a must-see, but its fairly decent.

• Jun 25, 2008

Well done. This movie has been well made and the acting is top notch. While depressing and heavy at times, overall, this movie is highly recommended.